What is the best way to position hinges on a heavy duty door design?

In summary: The radial load acting on top hinge (Fradial) = [Weight of door (W) x dist to ctr of gravity(d1) + External force (Fext) x door width (d2)] / dist between hinges (dhinge)= [(300*9.81*0.75) + (1800*1.5)]/dhinge= 4.9x10^3/dhingePresuming the top hinge holds the weight of the door when opened;Fradial should be > weight of the door4.9x10^3/dhinge > 2.9 x 10^3dhinge < 1.69m
chrisya
I working on a project to manufacture a door of size (W)1.5m and (H)2.5m that uses 7 butt hinges attached to the frame. The weight of the door is approx 300kg. Currently I have decided to position the hinges equally to each other but my production supervisor is advising against it. He suggest that about 3 hinges be placed closer at the top and the rest to be located equally at towards the bottom. How do I calculate the distance between hinges. Please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not just use 3 properly sized hinges?

I think what your supervisor is getting at is that when the door is open and hanging from the hinges, the greatest shear force will be applied at the top-most and bottom-most hinges, so he wants you to goup the hinges such that there are more hinges where the shear force will be greatest.

However, I don't think you need to use so many hinges (unless that is some sort of requirement). I have seen some pretty heavy doors hanging from 2 or 3 very big hinges.

Mech_Engineer said:
However, I don't think you need to use so many hinges (unless that is some sort of requirement). I have seen some pretty heavy doors hanging from 2 or 3 very big hinges.
The loading on the top hinges by 300 Kg (660 pounds) is a lot of lateral force to put on 3 or 6 #10 screws in a door jam.

Bob S said:
The loading on the top hinges by 300 Kg (660 pounds) is a lot of lateral force to put on 3 or 6 #10 screws in a door jam.

I seriously doubt this 300Kg door is being mounted on a standard residential or commercial door jam, but I could be wrong. I was imagining a big door for a secure room or safe, or walk-in freezer or something...

thanx for your replies. The door will be mounted on specially made door jams and yes 7 hinges is the requirement from the customer. I referred to some notes & did the following calculations to justify my theories but am not sure if I missed anything!

The radial load acting on top hinge (Fradial) = [Weight of door (W) x dist to ctr of gravity(d1) + External force (Fext) x door width (d2)] / dist between hinges (dhinge)
= [(300*9.81*0.75) + (1800*1.5)]/dhinge
= 4.9x10^3/dhinge

Presuming the top hinge holds the weight of the door when opened;
Fradial should be > weight of the door
4.9x10^3/dhinge > 2.9 x 10^3
dhinge < 1.69m

So, if the distance between the hinges should be less than 1690mm, distance between all 7 hinges provided they are equally spaced = 1690/6 = 282mm.

Is this correct?

chrisya: Your calculations in post 5 don't look correct to me, so far.

If you have seven equally-spaced hinges plus a vertical, external applied load of 1800 N at 1500 mm, then the horizontal force on the top and bottom hinge would be F = M*c/summation(y^2) = [(300*9.81)(750 mm) + (1800 N)(1500 mm)](1071.4 mm)/(3 571 430 mm^2) = 1472 N. And the vertical shear force on each hinge would be V = (300*9.81 + 1800)/7 = 677.6 N.

Last edited:
How did you derive to that formulation. I referred to the guideline provided at this site
http://www.allegiscorp.com/docs/hingeDesignGuide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
M = applied moment, c = extreme fiber distance from neutral axis, y = distance of each hinge from neutral axis.

1. What materials are commonly used in heavy duty door hinge design?

The most commonly used materials in heavy duty door hinge design are steel, stainless steel, and brass. These materials are chosen for their strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a heavy duty door hinge?

When designing a heavy duty door hinge, factors such as the weight and size of the door, frequency of use, and environmental conditions (e.g. exposure to moisture or extreme temperatures) should be taken into account. The hinge should also be designed to evenly distribute the weight of the door and withstand frequent opening and closing without wearing out.

3. Are there different types of heavy duty door hinges?

Yes, there are various types of heavy duty door hinges such as butt hinges, continuous hinges, and pivot hinges. These types differ in their design and function, but all are designed to support heavy doors and withstand frequent use.

4. How do you determine the appropriate size and number of hinges for a heavy duty door?

The size and number of hinges needed for a heavy duty door will depend on the weight and size of the door. As a general rule, one hinge should be used for every 30 inches of door height and an additional hinge for every 30 inches of door width. It is important to evenly distribute the weight of the door among the hinges for optimal support.

5. What are some common issues with heavy duty door hinges and how can they be prevented?

Some common issues with heavy duty door hinges include squeaking, misalignment, and wear and tear. These can be prevented by regularly lubricating the hinges, ensuring proper installation and alignment, and using high-quality, durable materials in the hinge design.