Grad School Application Tips for Non-Physics Majors: Steps to Success

In summary, the individual is at a crossroads in their academic career and is interested in pursuing a career in physics/astronomy. They are seeking advice on the best schools and programs to apply to, as well as what courses they should take to prepare for graduate school. It is recommended that they take modern physics and undergraduate astronomy courses before applying to grad school, and a list of recommended courses is provided. It is also suggested that they contact potential research groups to inquire about specific courses relevant to their research interests.
smiglet
like many of you I'm sure, I am at an academic career crossroads. I graduated from Washington University in St. Louis in 2008 with a bachelor's in economics (though in actuality I was pre-med just couldn't finish the major on time) After realizing med school was not for me, I have moved onto physics/astronomy as my career goal.

It seems clear that I will have to go to a masters/phd physics program to complete this path. It also seems clear that I'm at a disadvantage, due to my lack of a physics major, and overall situation.

Basically I'm hoping to find out what the best schools/programs to apply to are, and what I need to do to get there. I have taken Calc 3 and other upper level math classes (I was a math major for a year before switching to econ) and Mechanics/E&M but I feel convinced that most programs would wish that I take more classes first.

Information concerning anything and everything about the application process would be greatly appreciated, and pretty much anything else that anyone thinks would be helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would highly recommend you take a year and pick up a couple of modern physics and undergraduate astronomy courses before you make the move to grad school. Since you don't mention any experience with non-Newtonian mechanics (IE Quantum interactions, Solid State, Relativity) which are all very important parts of a physics/astronomy career.

thanks. are there any specific classes you would recommend?

smiglet said:
thanks. are there any specific classes you would recommend?

You need 3-4 quantum courses, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, the second year E&M, the third year classical mechanics, optics and mathematical physics (unless you already covered that stuff). I'd say that's the minimum.

The students I know entering astrophysics would have the following relevant courses (and I would highly recommend you take as many as possible):

E&M 1 and 2
Advanced Mechanics (Lagrangian mechanics)
Modern Physics (Intro to Quantum & Special Relativity)
Quantum 1 & 2 (Wave equations, Spins-Spin, perturbation theory)
Introduction to Nuclear Physics (Nuclear Models, Fundamental particles, Particle-Particle Interactions and Probabilities)
Astrophysics
Themodynamics (with statistical mechanics ideally)
Solid State Mechanics (depending on your astro course you might not need this)
General Relativity (or intro at the very least)
Optics (Would be very good for Astro)
Mathematical Physics (Vector calc, ODEs, PDEs, Numerical Methods, Fourier Analysis, intro to linear algebra)

I would have trouble taking an astrophysics student seriously without most of those courses at an undergrad level (even though you could still do a lot of work without some of them).

Depending on what you want to research you may be able to get away without some of them (for example computer modeling of galaxies / universe). Best thing to do would be contact some groups you would be interested in working with and ask them what courses that they think are most relevant to their research.

What are the benefits of attending graduate school for non-physics majors?

Attending graduate school allows non-physics majors to gain advanced knowledge and skills in their chosen field, making them more competitive in the job market. It also provides opportunities for networking and building professional relationships.

What should I consider before applying to graduate school as a non-physics major?

Before applying, it is important to research the specific program and make sure it aligns with your career goals. You should also consider the cost, location, and time commitment of the program.

What steps can I take to improve my chances of being accepted to a graduate program as a non-physics major?

Some steps to improve your chances include taking relevant courses, gaining experience through internships or research projects, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, you should tailor your application materials to highlight your strengths and passion for the field.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in the graduate school application process as a non-physics major?

Some common mistakes include applying to programs that are not a good fit, not putting enough effort into the application materials, and not following the instructions for submitting materials. It is also important to avoid waiting until the last minute to apply.

What resources are available for non-physics majors applying to graduate school?

There are many resources available, such as career centers, academic advisors, and graduate school fairs. You can also reach out to current graduate students or alumni for advice and guidance. Additionally, there are online resources and guides specifically for non-physics majors applying to graduate school.