Undergraduate College Plan: Exploring Astrophysics and Double Major Options

• Thread starter Totalderiv
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking help with their college plan as an undergraduate, specifically in regards to pursuing astrophysics. They are considering applying to several universities and are wondering if double majoring in physics and astronomy would be a good option for their graduate program. The expert advises that physics is essential for graduate programs in physics, astrophysics, or astronomy and suggests a double major in physics and astronomy. They also mention that the universities listed are all good options for this field of study.
Totalderiv
Need some help deciding!

Hello, I need some help figuring out my college plan as an undergraduate. I'm looking at applying to OSU, University of Michigan, University of Maryland, and University of Chicago. I'm looking to do astrophysics, but most of them don't have it. Would it be easier to double major as physics and astronomy, then do astrophysics for graduate program?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

No matter where you go, you should be majoring in physics. Classes in astronomy, math, and computer science are useful/necessary as well, but physics is essential for graduate programs in physics, astrophysics, or astronomy. A double-major in physics and astronomy would work nicely. Those are all excellent schools for this.

Thanks for the information

1. What factors should I consider when making a decision?

When trying to make a decision, it is important to consider your goals, values, priorities, and potential consequences of each option. Additionally, think about any constraints or limitations that may affect your decision.

2. How can I weigh the pros and cons of each option?

A helpful approach is to make a list of all the pros and cons for each option. This can help you visualize and compare the potential benefits and drawbacks, and make a more informed decision.

3. How do I know if I am making the right decision?

There is no guaranteed way to know if you are making the right decision. However, you can assess if the decision aligns with your goals and values, and if it feels like the best option based on the information and options available to you.

4. Should I seek advice from others when making a decision?

Seeking advice from others can be helpful, but ultimately, the decision should be yours. Consider consulting with trusted individuals who may have experience or expertise in the area you are making a decision in, but remember to trust your own judgment as well.

5. How do I cope with the uncertainty of making a decision?

It is common to feel uncertain or anxious when making a decision. One way to cope is to remind yourself that there is no one "perfect" decision and that you are doing the best you can with the information and resources available. You can also try to break down the decision into smaller, more manageable parts to help alleviate some of the pressure.