Human Consciousness Stored in Computer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transferring one's consciousness and identity into a computer, creating a robot that is identical to humans in all aspects. The conversation raises questions about the robot's identity and whether it is equivalent to the original person, as well as the possibility of such a technology. The conversation also mentions Planck's constant and its relation to energy and time, and suggests that a computer with a different energy than a human would not be equivalent to the human. The conversation concludes with the idea that a computer with a human-like consciousness would still be different from the original person.
physicskid
Suppose I store all information related to my consciousness or mind - memory, personality, IQ level, knowledge, and etc. - into a computer (when we've that kind of tecnology, of course). Now this data is equivilant to everything of me. Then I give this computer a body for it to move and excecute actions. This 'robot' is able to learn and is in all aspect identical to humans.

So the problems now are:
1. Is this darn robot equivilant to me? Or put it this way - Is this robot me?
2. Who is real real one
?! Or is there no real ones - both of us are the real Physicskid?
3. In the first place, is such thing possible?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If your a old man, and your at 25 % energy. Multiply that by total time.
25 % energy * total time(say 100 percent man's time, or per 100) = Amount 25

The computer doesn't amount to your energy !
Only you amount to your energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_constant
I heard from a man about this formula. It's called planks constant.
Planck's constant has units of energy multiplied by time, which are the units of action.

These units may also be written as momentum times distance (N·m·s), which are the units of angular momentum.

I got the part about Energy multiplied by Time. Equals units of action.

So. If the computer has different energy than you. It doesn't equal your energy if the time is a percent, or 100 %

Seeing 25 % energy and 100 % time is easy. Creative ? Yes. But easy to do.
Simply. It's equivilant to Plank's constant. Close enough. :rofl:

I suspect the computer will equal the amount of a computer.

In summary. What is the amount of a man's time ? Equal to his lifespan. A man is a alive man, and that time is 100 % man's time.
What is the energy of a man ? 100 % energy ? No. Not even.

So my adaptation of Plank's constant fits nicely.

Your energy times being a man equals who you are. The amount you. :zzz:

No PC will ever equal that. The PC lifespan and energy is it's own. Even if it looks like you. :wink:

physicskid said:
Suppose I store all information related to my consciousness or mind - memory, personality, IQ level, knowledge, and etc. - into a computer (when we've that kind of tecnology, of course). Now this data is equivilant to everything of me. Then I give this computer a body for it to move and excecute actions. This 'robot' is able to learn and is in all aspect identical to humans.

Assuming that it fully gained consiousness like humans would, wouldn't the robot change its personality once it realizes that it is just a copy of the original physicskid?

Suppose it did gain its own identity once it 'figures' that out, then it would no longer be you. It would recognize that it is just a copy and act differently. It would probably be very much like you, but it might have a different purpose in its 'life' so it can distinguish itself from you.

sounds like what god did. created a copy of himself and then turned it loose on the universe.

which is the real god??

love&peace,
olde drunk

physicskid said:
2. Who is real real one?!

This question has no answer.

3. In the first place, is such thing possible?

Probably. At this point in time, we don't nearly have the technology, though.

Last edited:
People seem to forget, the easiest way to build a "computer" that is completely like the human brain is to use a human brain. My point? You are the computer.

You don't want a computer completely like the human brain; human brains are very slow, and hard to modify or copy-paste, and vulnerable.

physicskid said:
1. Is this darn robot equivilant to me?

The silicon substrate of computers may produce a different type of consciousness in the robot person than it does in you, the organic person.

So, I would argue that the silicon person would indeed be an intelligent life-form, but one whose state of consciousness may be quite different from humans.

1. What is the concept of storing human consciousness in a computer?

The concept of storing human consciousness in a computer involves the idea that the complex workings of the human brain can be translated into computer code and stored digitally. This would essentially mean creating a digital version of a person's consciousness, thoughts, memories, and personality.

2. Is it scientifically possible to store human consciousness in a computer?

At this point in time, the technology and understanding of the brain are not advanced enough to fully transfer human consciousness into a computer. While some progress has been made in mapping and simulating brain activity, the complexity and nuances of human consciousness are still not fully understood.

3. What are the ethical implications of storing human consciousness in a computer?

This is a highly debated and complex subject. Some argue that it could lead to immortality and the ability to preserve one's consciousness after death. Others raise concerns about the potential loss of individuality and the impact on personal identity. Additionally, there are questions about who would have access to this technology and how it could potentially be misused.

4. How would storing human consciousness in a computer impact our understanding of what it means to be human?

If it were possible to successfully store human consciousness in a computer, it would challenge our current understanding of what makes us human. It would also raise questions about the role of the brain in creating consciousness and whether or not that consciousness could truly exist without a physical body.

5. Are there any potential benefits to storing human consciousness in a computer?

While the idea is still largely theoretical, there are some potential benefits that have been proposed. These include the ability to preserve and transfer knowledge, memories, and experiences, as well as the potential for advancements in artificial intelligence and understanding the brain.