What type of motherboard do I have?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the Dell Dimension 8100 is a few years old and I am looking to get a new case for it. I fear it may be proprietary and I don't know what type of motherboard it is. I would check to see if Dell does the same. I recommend an Athlon XP which fits in a Socket A motherboard and the memory will depend on the motherboard you get. The graphics card is up to you.
aychamo
Hey guys;

This is a Dell Dimension 8100. It is a few years old. I'm looking to get a new case for it (rack mount), but I don't know what type of motherboard it is. I fear it may be proprietary.

Click here:

http://www.think-evolution.com/mycase.jpg

I guess if its proprietary, I may as well get a new mobo/processor/ram combo, right?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I know with Gateway there is a page on their site that you can input the computer's serial number and it will tell you all the hardware. Check to see if Dell does the same.

Good call!

I checked the site for the build-list associated with my PC, these were on there:

PRINTED WIRING ASSY, PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), 8100, NETWORK INTERFACE CARD/CONTROLLERS, CLP/AGP, DIMENSION

PROCESSOR, 80528, 1.7GHZ, OK, 400FSB, SOCKET W

It's socket W. I'm guessing my board isn't ATX form factor.

I want to put together a new PC for my HTPC. It only needs to be fast enough to run WinXPPro, play .MP3 files, and play whatever video format I throw at it. Do you have any processor/motherboard suggestions? One caveat on the motherboard, it needs to be one of the ones with "Wake on Keyboard" and "Wake on Mouse" and all that good stuff :)

If you just going to play music and video a 1.7Ghz machine should be plenty of speed. Why do you feel compelled to buy a new computer. At that speed I would wait until Windows Longhorn comes out, which should be in a couple of years.

If you stil want to build a computer I would look into getting a barebones kit. It brings a case, a motherboard and a power supply. Depending on the type of case and motherboard prices will vary according. Here is the place where I buy my computer stuff from:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31

When you find a motherboard and case with the features you want I would do some research on the internet to see if it is any good. Tom's Hardware is a place to look.

Depending on how much money you have left get the processor w/ fan, memory, graphics card, sound card, etc..

I recommend an Athlon XP which fits in a Socket A motherboard. The memory will depend on the motherboard you get but wiill most likely be some type of DDR ram. The graphics card is up to you. ATI and Nvidia both have fine products. Creative labs creates very good sound card as well as Turtle Beach.

ResellerRatings dot com vs Tiger Direct

dduardo said:
Here is the place where I buy my computer stuff from:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31
Tiger Direct has a Six-Month Rating of only 7.42 and a Lifetime Rating of only 7.35 at ResellerRatings.

The two most highly rated general computer parts resellers listed at ResellerRatings are http://www.resellerratings.com/seller_info.pl?seller_id=2121 [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I shop at tiger direct is that there located in miami and I can just drive to one of their stores, therefore saving me the shipping costs.

1. What is a motherboard?

A motherboard is the main printed circuit board (PCB) in a computer that connects and controls all of the other components, such as the CPU, memory, and storage devices.

2. How do I determine what type of motherboard I have?

There are a few ways to determine the type of motherboard you have. You can check the documentation that came with your computer or look for a label on the motherboard itself. You can also use system information tools, such as CPU-Z or Speccy, to identify your motherboard model and manufacturer.

3. Why is it important to know what type of motherboard I have?

Knowing the type of motherboard you have is important for compatibility reasons. Different motherboards support different processors, memory, and expansion slots, so if you are planning to upgrade your computer, you need to know what your motherboard can support.

4. How do I find out the specifications of my motherboard?

You can find the specifications of your motherboard by checking the documentation that came with your computer, looking for a label on the motherboard, or using system information tools. You can also go to the manufacturer's website and search for your motherboard model to find the specifications.

5. Can I upgrade my motherboard?

Yes, you can upgrade your motherboard, but it is not a simple process. Upgrading your motherboard usually involves replacing other components, such as the CPU and memory, as well. It is important to research and make sure that the new motherboard is compatible with your current components before upgrading.