I love computer science but I don't think I want to be a programmer

In summary: That way you'll have learned a good amount of theory, and be in a better position to pursue a research career.Hi there,What you are saying makes sense. A CS degree will give you a better foundation in computer science. However, a degree in CS will not make you a programmer. You will need to learn to program if you want to become a programmer.
clint222
I absolutely love every thing about computer science. I love complexity theory, AI, machine learning, Theory of Computation, Algorithms, etc. etc.

But I know that if I get a bachelors degree in computer science then I will just end up in a software development job where I don't get to apply any REAL computer science, just programming. There is so much MORE to computer science then that, but there isn't any jobs that apply it.

I know that I would love a research career in computer science, but from everything I've heard it is very difficult to actually get research jobs, or to actually become a professor.

Do you think I should study computer science? Or would I be better off with something like computer/electrical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing CS is an ideal way of avoiding becoming a programmer

mgb_phys said:
Doing CS is an ideal way of avoiding becoming a programmer

What? What do you mean?

Aren't math and computer science intimately related?

Hi there,

clint222 said:
What? What do you mean?

The degree in computing science is not a degree in programming. From my knowledge, in computing science, you can develop new algorithm to make programs go faster/smoother/better. But you are not necessarily developing the program yourself.

I have many friends that did theoretical CS, and their job is to develop new mathematical equations and algorithm to make anything on computers go faster and smoother.

Cheers

clint222 said:
I absolutely love every thing about computer science. I love complexity theory, AI, machine learning, Theory of Computation, Algorithms, etc. etc.

Those are subjects in math, too. Complexity theory is a huge topic in mathematical research, and is quite topical at the moment as well. The mathematical interest in complexity is tied in with CS too, involving application of algorithms etc.

You could try studying both math and CS to the highest level - you'd end up with a myriad of options. Otherwise, CS majors don't need to resign themselves to becoming programmers. Have a search around the net and see if you can find stats for the most common CS jobs.

clint222 said:
What? What do you mean?

Firstly CS (at a proper CS school) is applied maths, you need never touch a computer - and will probably end up doing a lot less programming then a physics/eng student.

Then there is, in a lot of industry, a strong bias against CS when it comes to hiring programmers. The opinion is that grads (or worse PhDs) from very theoretical based schools have no programming skills, so you are better off hiring a physicist/engineer.

if you go to a crap school you will do a lot of programming, basically the course is just learn Java (or perhaps C# these days) in 21days - and no one will hire you as a programmer because you don't know any theory !

If I were you, I'd at least pursue a Masters degree in CS or Applied Mathematics. These subjects are very closely related and at most universities very similar in program design.

What is computer science and what does it entail?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, their hardware and software designs, their applications, and their impact on society. It involves problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and the use of algorithms and data structures to develop efficient and innovative solutions to real-world problems.

Can I still pursue a career in computer science if I don't want to be a programmer?

Yes, there are various career paths in computer science that do not involve programming. Some examples include data analysis, user experience design, project management, and research.

What skills do I need to have to be successful in computer science?

Some key skills for success in computer science include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, continuous learning and adaptability, collaboration and communication skills, and a passion for technology and innovation.

Is a degree in computer science necessary to work in the field?

While a degree in computer science can provide a strong foundation and knowledge in the field, there are many successful professionals in computer science without a formal degree. It is possible to gain skills and knowledge through self-study, online courses, and practical experience.

Are there any resources available for individuals interested in computer science but not sure if programming is the right path for them?

Yes, there are various resources available online and in-person that can help individuals explore different career paths in computer science and gain a better understanding of the skills and requirements for each. These resources include career counselors, networking events, online forums and communities, and informational interviews with professionals in the field.