Complex Fourier Series for f(t)=2sin(πt) with Periodicity

In summary, the problem is to find the complex Fourier series of the periodic function f(t)=2sin(πt) 0 < t < 1 and f(t+1) = f(t) for all t, using the equations provided. The suggested approach is to use integration by parts to find the constant c_n, which will then allow for the rest of the series to be calculated.
twoscoops

Homework Statement

Find the complex Fourier series of the periodic function

f(t)=2sin(πt) 0 < t < 1 and f(t+1) = f(t) for all t. (π is pi)

Homework Equations

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/d/7/9d7f73fbcba87cbff485e66646aa541d.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/2/8/52890b286b5e8481ee9d4d56f45081ac.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/b/0/6/b06b197a31293ddd3a9b3812f419259d.png

The Attempt at a Solution

ive tried many times using the forumla's and trying to rearrange to get exponentials but i always end up with something that looks really wrong, can someone point out any simplifications that can be made and do i need to integrate by parts (even though i can't see how that can be done). Any help will be greatly appriciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked with Fourier analysis or complex variables, but I would say to work with the first equation, the c_n. You can use integration by parts by treating i and n as constants and plugging in f(t) into the spot for f(x). That's where I would start, since after you find c_n the rest is cake.

1. What is a complex Fourier series?

A complex Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in terms of a sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies.

2. How is a complex Fourier series different from a regular Fourier series?

A complex Fourier series includes both real and imaginary components, while a regular Fourier series only includes real components. This allows for a more accurate representation of complex periodic functions.

3. What is the formula for a complex Fourier series?

The formula for a complex Fourier series is:
f(x) = a0 + Σ (an*cos(nx) + bn*sin(nx))
where a0 is the constant term, an and bn are the coefficients of the cosine and sine terms respectively, and n is the frequency.

4. What are some applications of complex Fourier series?

Complex Fourier series have various applications in signal processing, physics, and engineering. They can be used to analyze and manipulate signals and images, study vibrations and waves, and solve differential equations.

5. How is a complex Fourier series calculated?

A complex Fourier series can be calculated using a technique called Fourier analysis, which involves finding the coefficients of the cosine and sine terms through integration. These coefficients can then be used to reconstruct the original function.