Finding a Motor with an Absolute Encoder for Angular Position Detection

In summary, the conversation revolved around the need for a motor with an encoder that provides absolute feedback on the shaft's position. The person asking for help was struggling to find such a motor and was wondering if there were any conventional ways to achieve this without an absolute encoder. Another person suggested looking for servo motors and browsing a website called www.cnczone.com for more information and tips.
KingNothing
Hi all. For a project I am doing, I need to find a motor with an encoder that we can use to detect the exact angular position of the shaft at any given point in time.

I'd like to see if there is any motor out there with absolute feedback from the encoder - i.e., that I would be able to read the actual output position of the shaft, rather than just the number of encoder steps that have occurred.

Is there any conventional way to do this, other than to have an absolute encoder? Can anyone send me a link to a few such motors? I am in a position where I am really struggling to find these things.

Engineering news on Phys.org

What you're looking for is called a servo motor. Just google it and you should find hundreds, if not thousands, of different models.

Try browsing around www.cnczone.com for some good info and tips also.

Is this a constantly rotating shaft?

1. What is an absolute encoder?

An absolute encoder is a type of sensor that measures the position or movement of a motor or other rotating device. It provides a unique output signal for every possible position, allowing for accurate and precise angular position detection.

2. How does an absolute encoder work?

An absolute encoder works by using a rotating disc or other mechanism with evenly spaced markings or codes. These codes are read by a sensor, which then converts them into a digital signal that corresponds to a specific position. This allows for accurate and direct measurement of angular position without the need for a reference point.

3. What are the benefits of using a motor with an absolute encoder?

Using a motor with an absolute encoder allows for precise and accurate angular position detection, which is necessary for many applications in industries such as robotics, manufacturing, and automation. It also eliminates the need for a reference point, making it easier to integrate into systems and reducing the potential for errors.

4. How do I choose the right motor with an absolute encoder for my application?

When choosing a motor with an absolute encoder, it is important to consider factors such as the required precision, speed, torque, and size. You should also consider the type of communication interface and resolution needed for your specific application. Consulting with a motor expert or supplier can also help you find the best fit for your needs.

5. Can an absolute encoder be used in harsh environments?

Yes, some absolute encoders are designed to withstand harsh environments, such as high temperatures, moisture, and vibrations. These encoders are often sealed and made with durable materials to ensure reliable performance in challenging conditions. However, it is important to carefully choose an encoder that is suitable for your specific environment to ensure its longevity and accuracy.