Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors - Find x2(1)

In summary, the conversation confirms the correctness of the solution for the given problem and also clarifies a mistake in the original question, leading to the same solution.
dvep

Homework Statement

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/jon_jon_19/Eigen.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

It is a bit too long to type it all out, but I was wondering whether I am correct:

I got,

A = 7/2 , B = 0 , C = -1/8 , D = 1/8

And from this I worked out, x2(1) = -1.03

Is this correct? I have been through and cannot find any faults in my working.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's correct. though it's possible that they want an exact expression instead of a numerical approximation.

fzero said:
It's correct. though it's possible that they want an exact expression instead of a numerical approximation.

thank you for your reply, that is good to hear.

Could you also check this one http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/jon_jon_19/Eigen2.jpg

The second term should be De^( - √(5)t), I made a mistake when writing out the question.

Just want to make sure i got a good grasp of this, my answer is 3.09

thank you

dvep said:
thank you for your reply, that is good to hear.

Could you also check this one http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/jon_jon_19/Eigen2.jpg

The second term should be De^( - √(5)t), I made a mistake when writing out the question.

Just want to make sure i got a good grasp of this, my answer is 3.09

thank you

I found the same answer.

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra that are used to understand the behavior of linear transformations. Eigenvalues represent the scale factor by which an eigenvector is stretched or compressed when transformed by a matrix.

2. How do you find eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

To find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you need to set up and solve an eigenvalue equation. This involves finding the characteristic polynomial of the matrix and solving for the roots, which are the eigenvalues. Then, the corresponding eigenvectors can be found by solving a system of linear equations.

3. Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors important?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important because they help us understand the behavior of linear transformations, which have many real-world applications. They also allow us to simplify complex systems and make calculations easier.

4. Can there be more than one eigenvalue and eigenvector for a matrix?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. The number of eigenvalues and eigenvectors depends on the size and properties of the matrix.

5. How can eigenvalues and eigenvectors be used in data analysis?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used in data analysis to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset and extract important patterns and trends. They are also used in techniques such as principal component analysis to transform data into a new coordinate system that better represents the data.