(BSME only) Scientific Paper Question

In summary, the individual is looking for a scientific journal to submit their paper on a particular solution to the Navier Stokes equation in 3D. They are hoping to find a journal that will review and publish their paper regardless of their lack of strong credentials and at a low cost. They do not live near their university and are unsure of the accuracy of their paper, so they are looking for a journal with a peer review process. Some suggested journals include the Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Physics of Fluids, and AIAA Journal. The individual is concerned about their lack of credentials and whether the journal will take their paper seriously, but they are reassured that the focus will be on the results and analysis rather
myshadow
I only have a BSME with a very small amount of work experience (I graduated recently). I'm hoping that there is a decent scientific journal out there that would seriously look at my paper regardless of my credentials (or lack thereof), review it, and if they find it correct publish it. Also, I am trying to do this cheaply.

I don't live near my University and I was never really acquainted with any of my Engineering professors so I think asking my school for help may be out of the question. The paper is about a particular solution to the Navier Stokes equation in 3D. Lastly, I'm not sure how correct or incorrect my paper is so it would be great if the journal does peer review. I wouldn't want something completely wrong published with my name on it. haha. Basically, what scientific journal can I submit my paper to given my lack of strong credentials? Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you want something like the Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Physics of Fluids, AIAA Journal, etc. They are all peer reviewed. However, your paper will have to be pretty good to get into a journal. You ought to know if it is correct before you submit it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you think they would seriously read my paper given my lack of strong credentials? Or would they look at my credentials and just ignore my paper?

If the paper is good they won't care about your credentials. What they care about is results and analysis. If that is valid then Peewee Herman could be the author.

Make sure your work is new though. It will look pretty bad if it has been published before.

If you don't mind me asking, what solution to NS are you trying to publish on?

Firstly, congratulations on completing your BSME and writing a scientific paper on a complex topic such as the Navier Stokes equation. As a fellow scientist, I understand the desire to have your work published in a reputable journal and the importance of peer review.

In terms of finding a suitable journal for your paper, I would recommend starting by researching and identifying journals that specialize in the field of fluid mechanics and specifically, the Navier Stokes equation. You can also look for journals that publish papers from early career researchers or those with less experience.

Additionally, consider reaching out to your university's engineering department or professors for guidance and support. They may be able to provide valuable insights and help you identify potential journals for submission.

It is also important to carefully review and revise your paper to ensure it is as accurate and well-written as possible before submitting it. This will increase your chances of getting accepted for publication.

In terms of cost, many journals offer discounted or waived fees for early career researchers or those with limited funding. You can also consider open-access journals that may have lower or no fees for publication.

Lastly, I would advise against submitting your paper to a journal that does not have a rigorous peer review process. While it may be tempting to submit to a less reputable journal in order to save money or due to lack of credentials, it is important to prioritize the quality and accuracy of your work.

Overall, I encourage you to not let your lack of strong credentials discourage you from pursuing publication of your paper. With thorough research and preparation, you can find a suitable journal and hopefully see your work published. Best of luck!

1. What is a scientific paper and why is it important?

A scientific paper is a written report that describes the results of a scientific study or experiment. It is important because it allows scientists to share their findings with the scientific community, contributing to the advancement of knowledge and potentially leading to new discoveries.

2. What is the structure of a scientific paper?

A scientific paper typically has the following sections: abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. The abstract provides a brief summary of the study, the introduction explains the background and purpose of the study, the methods describe how the study was conducted, the results present the findings, the discussion interprets the results and places them in context, and the conclusion summarizes the main findings and their implications.

3. How do you choose a topic for a scientific paper?

Choosing a topic for a scientific paper usually involves identifying a research question or problem that is relevant and interesting to the scientific community. This can be done by reviewing current literature and identifying gaps in knowledge, or by conducting preliminary experiments that lead to new questions.

4. What is the peer-review process for scientific papers?

The peer-review process involves submitting a scientific paper to a journal, where it is evaluated by experts in the field. These reviewers assess the quality and validity of the study, provide feedback to the authors, and make recommendations for publication. This process helps to ensure that only high-quality and accurate research is published.

5. How do you write a strong scientific paper?

To write a strong scientific paper, it is important to have a clear research question and to use a rigorous and well-designed methodology. The writing should be clear, concise, and follow a logical structure. It is also important to accurately report and interpret the results, and to discuss the implications and limitations of the study. Finally, proofreading and revising the paper can help to improve its overall quality.