Proof: Applications of the Universal Property of Natural Numbers

In summary, the goal of this problem is to prove that given any x ε σ^(n+1) of (N), that x ε σ^n of (N). For this problem, I am not sure where to start for this problem, since it seems like it would be the opposite direction (the subset would be the other way).
icestone111

Homework Statement

N refers to the set of all natural numbers.
Part 2: From the previous problem, we have σn : N → N for all n ε N.
Show that for any n ε N, σ(n+1)(N) is a subset of σn(N), where we have
used n + 1 for σ(n) as we defined in class.

2. The attempt at a solution
For Part 2, I believe the goal would be to prove that given any x ε σ(n+1)(N), that x ε σn(N) as well. For this problem, I am not sure where to start for this problem, since it seems like it would be the opposite direction (the subset would be the other way). Would knowing what the definition of σn of (N) help (if so, how is this defined/how do I work with this?)?

Figured out part 1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
icestone111 said:

Homework Statement

N refers to the set of all natural numbers.
Part 1: There are two different parts I'm having trouble with:
Let S be a set and let f : S → S be a function. Show that
for any n ε N, there exists a function denoted by f^n : S → S
such that f^1 = f and f^σ(n) = f ° fn.
I'm having trouble understanding this notation.

Does f^σ(n) mean fσ(n) or fσ(n)?

Also, what is fn? Do you mean fn?

I have a suspicion that this is about proofs by mathematical induction.
icestone111 said:
Part 2: From the previous problem, we have σ^n : N → N for all n ε N.
Show that for any n ε N, σ^(n+1) of (N) is a subset of σ^n of (N), where we have
used n + 1 for σ(n) as we defined in class.

2. The attempt at a solution
Part 1: For my reasoning, we have to prove the two given statements, f^1 = f and f^σ(n) = f ° f^n. So f^1 is clearly equivalent to f. After, the only thing I could think of doing is letting σ(n) = n+1, using the property of commutativity of addition, to have f^(n+1)= f ° f^n => f^(1+n) = f° f^n => f ° f^n = f ° f^n, though I feel as if this is not valid reasoning. Beforehand, I proved this for an element, say x ε N, but can construct functions to navigate around the elements. How do I do this for functions?

For Part 2, I believe the goal would be to prove that given any x ε σ^(n+1) of (N), that x ε σ^n of (N) as well. For this problem, I am not sure where to start for this problem, since it seems like it would be the opposite direction (the subset would be the other way).

Ah, sorry about that. f^σ(n) means fσ(n) and fn was meant to be fn

That σ(n) suggests "successor of n" to me, so that σ(1) = 2, σ(2) = 3, and so on. f is an arbitrary function that maps an element of set S to a possibly different element of S. Certainly you would be able to compose f with itself to get f°f = f2, and that would also be a mapping from S to S.

I can't add much more here - it's not clear to me what you need to do.

Mark44 said:
I'm having trouble understanding this notation.

Does f^σ(n) mean fσ(n) or fσ(n)?

Also, what is fn? Do you mean fn?

I have a suspicion that this is about proofs by mathematical induction.

I'm just uncertain if my reasoning for part 1 is correct and how to move forward with part 2. I'm pretty sure you do need to prove these (at least part 1) by mathematical induction, I'm just uncertain how to do these inductive steps.

That's fine, thanks for taking a look!

What is the universal property of natural numbers?

The universal property of natural numbers states that any natural number can be represented as a sum of ones, and this representation is unique. This means that the natural numbers have a unique structure that allows them to be used for counting and measuring quantities.

How is the universal property of natural numbers applied in proofs?

The universal property of natural numbers is often used in proofs involving mathematical induction. This property allows us to prove statements for all natural numbers by simply proving them for the first natural number (usually 0 or 1) and for any number plus 1.

Can the universal property of natural numbers be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the universal property of natural numbers can be extended to other mathematical structures such as integers, rational numbers, and real numbers. These structures also have unique properties that allow them to be used for different mathematical operations.

How does the universal property of natural numbers relate to the Peano axioms?

The universal property of natural numbers is one of the fundamental properties of the Peano axioms, which are a set of axioms used to define the natural numbers. The universal property is often used to prove other properties of the natural numbers in conjunction with the other axioms.

Are there any real-world applications of the universal property of natural numbers?

Yes, the universal property of natural numbers has many practical applications, such as in computer science and coding. It is also used in various fields of science to model and understand natural phenomena, such as in genetics and population growth.