Neutrinos as majorana particles or where are left handed antineutrinos?

In summary, there are left-handed neutrinos and right-handed antineutrinos, but they do not have antiparticles.
roberto85
Hi everyone, this has been bothering me for a while and even though I've done some light reading on this topic I am struggling to understand it.

I know that theory states that we do not see left handed antineutrinos or right handed neutrinos and this is where cp violations comes from. But since the neutrino has no charge, how would we be able to distinguish from a left handed antineutrino and a left handed neutrino? So could it be that in fact left handed antineutrinos do exist but they are just exactly the same as left handed neutrinos... which means that neutrinos don't actually have antiparticles at all. Or that the differing handedness between neutrinos is in fact their only distinguishing feature and we should in fact just define left handed neutrinos as neutrinos and right handed antineutrinos as the antineutrino. Could it be that neutrinos are the maverick of the standard model... i don't understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
roberto85, You shouldn't let things like this bother you, maybe we can talk it out. :cool:

The simple long-standing theory is that there only exist left-handed neutrinos and right-handed antineutrinos. At least these are the only ones that couple to other particles by the weak interaction. The interaction violates C and violates P, but preserves the combination CP.

How do we tell a neutrino from an antineutrino? By letting it hit something. For example, try to observe the reaction ν + p → n + e+. Well, you have to get the ν from somewhere, and you find that the ν's that come from n → p + e- + ν do produce this reaction, while the ones that come from p → n + e+ + ν do not. Showing that they are different particles.

More recently it's been learned that neutrinos must have a small mass, implying that right-handed neutrinos and left-handed antineutrinos exist as well, although they have not yet been seen directly. They don't participate in the weak interaction.

Bill_K said:
maybe we can talk it out. :cool:

Maybe we should change your username to Dr. Bill. :biggrin:

Bill_K said:
roberto85, You shouldn't let things like this bother you, maybe we can talk it out. :cool:

The simple long-standing theory is that there only exist left-handed neutrinos and right-handed antineutrinos. At least these are the only ones that couple to other particles by the weak interaction. The interaction violates C and violates P, but preserves the combination CP.

How do we tell a neutrino from an antineutrino? By letting it hit something. For example, try to observe the reaction ν + p → n + e+. Well, you have to get the ν from somewhere, and you find that the ν's that come from n → p + e- + ν do produce this reaction, while the ones that come from p → n + e+ + ν do not. Showing that they are different particles.

More recently it's been learned that neutrinos must have a small mass, implying that right-handed neutrinos and left-handed antineutrinos exist as well, although they have not yet been seen directly. They don't participate in the weak interaction.

In the above example it would have to be that one of the neutrinos was left handed and the other was right handed, which is what we use to distinguish them as being either a neutrino or an antineutrino respectively. But since a right handed neutrino would, i assume, look and behave exactly the same as a right handed antineutrino.. how do we know whether we have ever seen a right handed neutrino. Because currently our only way to distinguish the two types of neutrinos we see is by their handedness, but in the standard model we don't call particles with opposite handedness as antiparticles from each other. I think that it's a nomenclature thing which has been added to complete the patterns we see in the standard model, but i think by taking observation out of context of the standard model we should not call right handed antineutrinos as such and instead just call them right handed neutrinos which is what they are since there is no defining feature which makes them an antiparticle. Unless... there is more information i am missing.. which did make me think of virtual neutrinos since these would be created as particle antiparticle pairs. But I am sure we've not seen virtual neutrinos directly but perhaps they are indirectly implicated in calculation of the electron dipole moment? Maybe this issue can offer clues to the anomalous muon dipole moment?

I understand the case for having antiparticles of neutrinos so that it fits in with the rest of the fermions in the standard model. But could it be that actually, since it is the only chargeless fermion, it does not have an antiparticle and it in fact is only one particle which comes in a left handed form and a right handed form (which we call antineutrinos). I think i need to read further about these majorana neutrinos.

I feel like i have reached a logical conclusion but i suspect i am missing something.. but i do wonder whether the naming convention of neutrino particles is not correct?

There was an early attempt at describing neutrinos as Majorana particles. The crucial experimental result which killed the idea was the absence of neutrinoless double beta decay. See the Wikipedia article.

Bill_K said:
There was an early attempt at describing neutrinos as Majorana particles. The crucial experimental result which killed the idea was the absence of neutrinoless double beta decay. See the Wikipedia article.

Yes, to be honest i don't quite like the see saw mechanism of the majorana neutrino theory. But i still think there's something mysterious about neutrinos we have yet to discover, with the weak sector cp violation being the smoking gun. Its on my list of things to keep an eye on ;)

roberto85 said:
...I understand the case for having antiparticles of neutrinos so that it fits in with the rest of the fermions in the standard model. But could it be that actually, since it is the only chargeless fermion...
Standard Model neutrinos are not chargeless - they just don't have electric or colour charges. They do, however, have weak charges (otherwise they wouldn't interact with the W or Z bosons).

Electric charges are derived from the basic electroweak charges in accordance with the formula

Q = I3W + (YW / 2)

where I3W is called weak isospin and YW weak hypercharge.

(Left-handed) neutrinos have I3W = +1/2 and YW = -1, which add up to zero electric charges. RH anti-neutrinos have -1/2 and +1 respectively.

RH neutrinos and LH anti-neutrinos do have charges of 0 and 0 respectively, and are thus sterile (though the term "sterile neutrino" is more commonly used when referring to additional neutrino flavours that also have zero charges).

AdrianTheRock said:
Standard Model neutrinos are not chargeless - they just don't have electric or colour charges. They do, however, have weak charges (otherwise they wouldn't interact with the W or Z bosons).

Electric charges are derived from the basic electroweak charges in accordance with the formula

Q = I3W + (YW / 2)

where I3W is called weak isospin and YW weak hypercharge.

(Left-handed) neutrinos have I3W = +1/2 and YW = -1, which add up to zero electric charges. RH anti-neutrinos have -1/2 and +1 respectively.

RH neutrinos and LH anti-neutrinos do have charges of 0 and 0 respectively, and are thus sterile (though the term "sterile neutrino" is more commonly used when referring to additional neutrino flavours that also have zero charges).

Cool, i had read a little about sterile neutrinos and read something about sterile neutrinos possibly being neutral heavy leptons (NHL).. oh i see where this links in with the seesaw mechanism. Okay, I'm not so dismissive of the seesaw mechanism now especially since
NHL's might be a good candidate for dark matter. All very interesting, thanks for helping me clear up this issue that had been bothering me for some time.

1. What is a neutrino and how does it relate to majorana particles?

A neutrino is a subatomic particle that is known for its extremely low mass and lack of electric charge. It is believed to be one of the building blocks of the universe. Majorana particles are a type of fermion that are their own antiparticles, meaning they have the same mass and charges as their antiparticles. Some scientists believe that neutrinos may also be majorana particles, but this has yet to be proven definitively.

2. How are majorana particles different from other types of particles?

Majorana particles are unique because they are their own antiparticles. This means that they have the same mass and charges as their antiparticles. This is in contrast to other particles, such as electrons and protons, which have distinct antiparticles with opposite charges.

3. Can neutrinos be both left and right handed?

In the Standard Model of particle physics, neutrinos are assumed to be left handed, meaning they spin counterclockwise in relation to their direction of motion. However, some theories propose that neutrinos may also have a right-handed component, making them chiral particles. This has yet to be confirmed through experiments.

4. What is the significance of finding evidence for neutrinos as majorana particles?

If neutrinos are proven to be majorana particles, it would have major implications for our understanding of the universe. It would challenge the Standard Model of particle physics and could potentially lead to new theories and discoveries. It could also have applications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

5. Where are left handed antineutrinos and why are they important?

In the Standard Model, it is believed that left handed antineutrinos exist, but they have yet to be observed. These particles are important because they are predicted to play a crucial role in many fundamental processes, such as neutrino oscillations and the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe. Understanding their properties and behavior could lead to a better understanding of the universe and its origins.