Understanding Fourier Series: Complex vs. Ordinary Coefficients

In summary, the Fourier series can be expressed as a sum of complex exponential terms, where the coefficients (cr) can be translated to the coefficients (ar and br) in an ordinary Fourier series using Cauchy's formula. Negative values of r are not necessary in the sine and cosine series due to the even and odd properties of these functions.
zezima1
The Fourier series can also be written as:

f(x) = Ʃcr*exp(r*2π*i*x/L) where sum if from -∞ to ∞

My book says this at least, but I can't really determine the realitionship between the coefficients of an ordinary Fourier and the complex one. How do you get rid of the i that would appear in front of every sin factor, and how do you overall translate the coefficients cr to ar and br of an ordinary Fourier series?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Cauchy's formula:
[itex]e^{2ir\pi x/L}= cos(2r\pi x/L)+ i sin(2r\pi x/L)[/itex]

Cosine is an even function and sine is an odd function so
[itex]e^{-\pi x/L}= cos(2r\pi x/L)- i sin(2r\pi x/L)[/itex]
which is why you do not need negative values of r in the sine, cosine series.

[tex]\sum_{r=-\infty}^\infty a_re^{2ir\pi x/L}= (a_r+ a_{-r}) cos(2r\pi x/L)+ (a_r- a_{-r})i sin(2r\pi x/L)[/tex]

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to analyze and approximate complex functions by breaking them down into simpler components.

2. What is the difference between complex and ordinary coefficients in a Fourier series?

In a complex Fourier series, the coefficients are complex numbers, meaning they have both a real and imaginary component. In an ordinary Fourier series, the coefficients are purely real numbers.

3. Why are complex coefficients used in Fourier series?

Complex coefficients allow for a more accurate representation of a function, as they can capture both amplitude and phase information. This is especially useful for analyzing signals and systems in fields such as engineering and physics.

4. How do I convert between complex and ordinary coefficients in a Fourier series?

To convert from complex coefficients to ordinary coefficients, you can use the Euler's formula: e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). To convert from ordinary coefficients to complex coefficients, you can use the inverse of this formula.

5. What are some applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have numerous applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and sound compression, control systems, and data analysis. They are also used in solving differential equations and can be used to approximate any periodic function.