Find Moment of Inertia: Z-Axis

In summary, the moment of inertia of the region bounded by z=x^2+y^2 and z=1, with density proportional to the distance from the z axis, can be calculated using a double integral in cylindrical coordinates. The region R would be the volume bounded by the plane z=1 and the paraboloid z=x^2+y^2, with limits of integration for r from 0 to 1 and for θ from 0 to 2π. The density would be equal to r. The moment of inertia about the x and y axes would require a triple integral since these axes are not aligned with the principal axes of the region.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia of the regoin bounded by z = x^2 + y^2 and z=1 if the density is propertial to the distance from the z axis

Homework Equations

Moment of interia about the z axis = the double integral R of (x^2+y^2)*(density)dV

The Attempt at a Solution

I convert everything to cylindricals, so I get z=r^2 and z=1, but I'm not sure about setting up the integral. What exactly is region R and would the density just be == r? Anyways x^2 + y^2 = r^2, so would the integral be
integral of r^2 * r * r * dθ dr, 0≤θ≤2π, 0≤r≤1
Basically I am just unsure what region R is, right now the limits are just the area bounded by the plane and parabloid but what about the volume underneath? Also why do the moments of inertia about the x and y-axis involve triple integrals and z doesn't or are my notes wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

Firstly, great job converting everything to cylindrical coordinates. That is definitely the way to go for this problem.

To answer your question, the region R in this case would be the volume bounded by the plane z=1 and the paraboloid z=x^2+y^2. This means that the limits of integration for r would be from 0 to 1, as you have correctly identified. However, for θ, the limits would be from 0 to 2π, as this is the full circumference of the circle in the x-y plane.

As for the density, you are correct that it would just be equal to r, as the problem states that the density is proportional to the distance from the z axis.

In terms of the moment of inertia about the x and y axis involving triple integrals, this is because these axes are not the principal axes for this region. The z axis is the only principal axis, so the moment of inertia about this axis can be calculated using a double integral. However, for the x and y axes, the moment of inertia must be calculated using a triple integral because these axes are not aligned with the principal axes of the region.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your calculations!

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the Z-axis?

The Z-axis is the vertical axis in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is perpendicular to both the X and Y axes, and is commonly used to represent height or depth in mathematical and scientific calculations.

How do I find the moment of inertia along the Z-axis?

To find the moment of inertia along the Z-axis, you will need to know the mass and the distance of each individual point from the Z-axis. Then, you can use the formula I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the Z-axis. Add up the individual moments of inertia for each point to find the total moment of inertia along the Z-axis.

What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the metric system, the units would be kilograms multiplied by meters squared (kg·m²). In the imperial system, the units would be slugs multiplied by feet squared (slug·ft²).

What are some real-life applications of finding the moment of inertia along the Z-axis?

The moment of inertia along the Z-axis is used in many engineering and physics applications, such as designing buildings and bridges, calculating the stability of rotating objects, and understanding the behavior of rotating celestial bodies. It is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes must control their moment of inertia to perform complex movements.