Percentange of bags rejected

• Thread starter Matt.D
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about Statistics Homework involving the normal distribution of masses of bags of sweets. The bags are rejected if they are underweight (X<225g) or overweight (X>270g). The question is asking for the percentage of bags that are rejected. The conversation also mentions trying different combinations without success and whether the formula for standard deviation can be used. Additionally, the conversation suggests looking up a table of values for the normal distribution.
Matt.D
Hey guys, I've got this question from my Statistics Homework and wondered if someone could point me to a website or supply some advice as to how to begin to solve the problem.

Bags of sweets are packed by a machine such that the masses (X) have a normal distribution with mean 250g and standard deviation 10g.
A bag is judged to be underweight and rejected if X<225g.
A bag is judged to be overweight and rejected if X>270g
What percentage of bags are rejected?

I've tried a few combinations, but without a formula I don't think I'm making any sense. Can an altered version of the formula for Standard Deviation be used?

Any help always appreciated : )

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Underweight is 2.5 s.d. too low, while overweight is 2.0 s.d. too high. Look up a table of values for the normal distribution (not the density function, which is the bell curve).

Hi Matt,

To solve this problem, you can use the standard normal distribution formula and z-scores. First, let's find the z-score for 225g and 270g using the given mean and standard deviation:
z-score for 225g = (225-250)/10 = -2.5
z-score for 270g = (270-250)/10 = 2

Next, we can use a z-score table (or a calculator) to find the percentage of values below -2.5 and above 2. The table shows that the area under the curve for z < -2.5 is approximately 0.0062 and the area for z > 2 is also 0.0062. This means that the percentage of bags rejected for being underweight or overweight is approximately 0.0062 + 0.0062 = 0.0124 or 1.24%.

Therefore, the percentage of bags rejected is approximately 1.24%.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your statistics homework!

1. What is the "Percentage of bags rejected"?

The "Percentage of bags rejected" refers to the percentage of bags that were not accepted by a system or process, usually in the context of a quality control or inspection process.

2. How is the "Percentage of bags rejected" calculated?

The "Percentage of bags rejected" is calculated by dividing the number of rejected bags by the total number of bags inspected and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

3. Why is it important to track the "Percentage of bags rejected"?

Tracking the "Percentage of bags rejected" is important because it can provide valuable insights into the efficiency and effectiveness of a system or process. It can also help identify areas for improvement and prevent issues from recurring in the future.

4. What factors can contribute to a high "Percentage of bags rejected"?

There are several factors that can contribute to a high "Percentage of bags rejected", including human error, faulty equipment, inadequate training, and poor quality control measures. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

5. How can the "Percentage of bags rejected" be reduced?

The "Percentage of bags rejected" can be reduced by implementing thorough quality control measures, providing proper training to staff, regularly maintaining and calibrating equipment, and addressing any environmental factors that may affect the bags. Continuous monitoring and improvement of the system or process can also help reduce the percentage of rejected bags.