I need to choose an engineering track.

In summary, a student is nearing the end of their first year and needs to choose a direction to focus on for their major in electrical engineering. They are considering talking to working engineers in different fields to learn about their job and gain insight into the daily tasks and likes/dislikes of engineering. The student also mentions a survey course at their school that offers speakers from different fields to help with decision making.
jssamp
I'm nearing the end of my first year and registration for fall term is in two weeks. My problem is I don't really know what (branch, field, specialty? not sure what to call it) I want to pursue. When I choose my major I picked electrical engineering with a vague idea that I liked working with electronics. It's becoming clear that I need to pick a direction to focus on. I can't possibly take all the classes for the different types of engineering.

I want to talk with some working engineers in different fields and ask about their job. I think it might be helpful to hear about what a typical day is like, the tasks they are given, and what they like or dislike about engineering now that they are in it. Also any hind sight that anyone would care to offer (I would rather learn from someone else's mistakes that make my own.)

I've been reading threads on PF for a short while now and I can't think of a better way to get help than by asking here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your school offer any survey of engineering course? Mine actually has a general survey and also each discipline's survey. For instance, the EE one at my school was pretty good, we would have speakers come in and talk about their fields. I immediately found out a couple of fields within EE that I have no desire to do.

1. What are the different types of engineering tracks?

There are many different types of engineering tracks, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Each track focuses on a specific aspect of engineering and has its own unique set of skills and applications.

2. How do I know which engineering track is right for me?

Choosing an engineering track that aligns with your interests and strengths is important. Look into the course curriculum, job opportunities, and day-to-day tasks of each track to determine which one best suits your goals and skills.

3. What are the job prospects for each engineering track?

The job prospects for each engineering track vary, but overall, the demand for engineers is high and expected to grow in the coming years. Research the job market for each track to get a better understanding of the opportunities available.

4. Can I switch engineering tracks if I change my mind?

It is possible to switch engineering tracks, but it may require additional coursework and time. It's important to carefully consider your decision and consult with academic advisors before making a switch.

5. What skills are necessary for success in an engineering track?

Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and math skills are essential for success in any engineering track. Additionally, good communication, teamwork, and time management skills are important for working effectively in the engineering field.