Limit of x/(sqrt(1+3x)-1) as x approaches 0

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of x/(sqrt(1+3x)-1) as x approaches 0 and the attempts at solving it using the limit laws. The conversation involves multiplying the expression by (sqrt(1+3x)+1)/(sqrt(1+3x)+1) and simplifying it to get x in both the numerator and denominator. The person who posed the question initially struggles with getting the 0 out of the denominator, but ultimately realizes their mistake and thanks the expert for their help.
KiwiKid

Homework Statement

Find the limit of x/(sqrt(1+3x)-1) as x approaches 0.

Homework Equations

The limit laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck. I've tried multiplying all of it by (sqrt(1+3x)+1)/(sqrt(1+3x)+1), but that didn't work. I can't seem to get that 0 out of the denominator. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get after doing that multiplication?

micromass said:
What did you get after doing that multiplication?

(x(sqrt(1+3x)+1))/3x. Or (x*sqrt(1+3x)+x)/3x if you will. But the 3x still goes to 0, so that doesn't seem to work.

KiwiKid said:
(x(sqrt(1+3x)+1))/3x. Or (x*sqrt(1+3x)+x)/3x if you will. But the 3x still goes to 0, so that doesn't seem to work.

You can simplify it: you have x is numerator and denominator.

micromass said:
You can simplify it: you have x is numerator and denominator.

Oh, wait! I realize what I did wrong. I'd seen that, yes, but made the stupid mistake of presuming that there would still be '2x' (instead of '3') left in the denominator. *slaps head* Thank you, micro. :smile:

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value that a function approaches as the input value goes towards a specific point.

Why do we need to find the value of a limit?

Finding the value of a limit allows us to understand the behavior of a function near a specific point and make predictions about its behavior at that point.

How do you find the value of a limit?

To find the value of a limit, we can evaluate the function at values closer and closer to the specific point in question until we can determine the value that the function approaches.

What is the difference between a left-sided limit and a right-sided limit?

A left-sided limit looks at the behavior of a function as the input value approaches the specific point from the left side, while a right-sided limit looks at the behavior as the input value approaches from the right side. The two-sided limit considers both approaches simultaneously.

What types of functions have limits?

All continuous functions have limits, but not all limits exist. Limits may not exist if the function has a vertical asymptote or if it has a jump discontinuity at the specific point in question.