Looking for a and b to ensure continuous function

In summary: I understand the concept now. In summary, to find values for a and b that ensure f is a continuous function, we need to make sure that the function is continuous at the two places where the three pieces meet: at x = 0 and x = 1. The values for a and b should make the function continuous at both of these points, meaning that the limit and function value should be equal. In this case, the values for a and b are a = -2 and b = -2, respectively.
ful

Homework Statement

Find values for a and b that ensure f is a continuous function if

f(x) = ax + 2b if x ≤ 0
x2 +3a - b if 0 < x ≤ 1
2x - 5 if x > 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ax + 2b = 2x -5 (when x = o)
2b = -5
b = -5/2

3a +5/2 = -3
a = -11/6

when i plug these a and b into the each equation i get
-5 as the answer for the first equation
-3 as the answer for the second equation
-5 as the answer for the third equation

why isn't the 2nd equation coming out to -5? i need them all to equal so they can be continuous. all the limits need to equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
ful said:

Homework Statement

Find values for a and b that ensure f is a continuous function if

f(x) = ax + 2b if x ≤ 0
x2 +3a - b if 0 < x ≤ 1
2x - 5 if x > 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ax + 2b = 2x -5 (when x = o)
2b = -5
b = -5/2
No.
When x = 0, you want the first two formulas to produce the same function value.

IOW, when x = 0, you want ax + 2b = x2 + 3a - b

When x = 1, you want the 2nd and 3rd formulas to produce the same function value.
ful said:
3a +5/2 = -3
a = -11/6

when i plug these a and b into the each equation i get
-5 as the answer for the first equation
-3 as the answer for the second equation
-5 as the answer for the third equation

why isn't the 2nd equation coming out to -5? i need them all to equal so they can be continuous.
Who are "them" and "they"? Do "them" and "they" refer to the same thing?

Try to be more specific here but not using pronouns such is "it" and "they" unless what they refer to is crystal clear.
ful said:
all the limits need to equal.
No, not at all. You want the left- and right-side limits at x = 0 to be equal, so you work with the 1st and 2nd formulas. You want the left- and right-side limits at x = 1 to be equal, so you work with the 2nd and 3rd formulas.

Last edited:
w hen x= 0
ax +2b = 3a -b
b= 3a/2 - b/2

when x=1
x2 +3a -b = 2x-5
1 + 3a-b = 2x-5
3a-b = -4
3a - (3a/2+b/2) = -4
6a +2b = -8

a= -1, b= -1

when I plug in a=-1 b=-1 and x=o to
(ax + 2b) = -2
(x2 +3a -b) = -2

both equations at x=0 give me -2 .is this correct?

the last equation (2x-5) still equals -3

ful said:
w hen x= 0
ax +2b = 3a -b
b= 3a/2 - b/2
You're really making things hard for yourself.
When x = 0, your first equation should be
2b = 3a - b.

Now move all of the b terms to one side, and then solve for b.
ful said:
when x=1
x2 +3a -b = 2x-5
When you substitute 1 for x, your equation shouldn't have x in it any more.
ful said:
1 + 3a-b = 2x-5
3a-b = -4
3a - (3a/2+b/2) = -4
6a +2b = -8

a= -1, b= -1
These aren't the right values. They will give you the same value at x = 0 for the 1st and 2nd formulas, but they give you different values at x = 1 for the 2nd and 3rd formulas. To be continuous, the function has to have the same values at x = 0 (1st & 2nd formulas) and at x = 1 (2nd & 3rd formulas).
ful said:
when I plug in a=-1 b=-1 and x=o to
(ax + 2b) = -2
(x2 +3a -b) = -2

both equations at x=0 give me -2 .is this correct?

the last equation (2x-5) still equals -3
But you also need to get -3 using the 2nd formula.

ok I am am trying it again

Last edited:
i got a= -2 and b=-2

The three separate pieces of this function are all continuous inside their respective intervals, so it's just a matter of figuring out what a and b need to be so that the function is continuous at the two places the three pieces meet: at x = 0 and x = 1.

The values you find for a and b have to make the function continuous at both places.

Mark44 said:
The three separate pieces of this function are all continuous inside their respective intervals, so it's just a matter of figuring out what a and b need to be so that the function is continuous at the two places the three pieces meet: at x = 0 and x = 1.

The values you find for a and b have to make the function continuous at both places.

I understand the concept now. I got a = -2 and b = -2. In general, for a function to be continuous, doesn't the limit and functional value have to equal?

Last edited:
Those are the values. And yes, for a function to be continuous at some point, the limit and function value have to be equal.

thank you very much

1. What is the definition of continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has a continuous graph, meaning that the graph has no breaks or gaps in it. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it satisfies three criteria: 1) the function is defined at every point in its domain, 2) the limit of the function exists at every point in its domain, and 3) the limit at each point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the significance of finding a and b to ensure continuous function?

Finding a and b allows us to determine the specific values that will make the function continuous. This is important because a continuous function is necessary for many mathematical applications and real-world scenarios.

4. How do you find a and b to ensure continuous function?

To find a and b, you can use the limit definition of continuity. This involves solving for a and b in the equation f(a) = lim x→a f(x) and f(b) = lim x→b f(x), where a and b are the points where the function is not continuous.

5. Can a function be continuous at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points but not others. This is because a function can have different behaviors at different points, and the continuity of a function depends on the behavior at each individual point.