Finding a Job After Graduation: Advice for Recent Grads

• Thread starter StarSoup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the poster graduated college with a chem engineering degree and is having difficulty finding a job. They have applied to 40 positions and have had no luck. They are considering relocation to increase their chances of finding a job.
StarSoup
Hi everyone,
I just graduated 5 months ago with a ChemE degree and I need advice on finding a job. I have a good GPA (3.4) and have 3 summers worth of internships. I live in the US and am willing to relocate.

So far I've applied to about 40 positions (I know, I know that's not a lot). I've been making cold calls and going to every career fair in my state, but I am having zero luck. I called my boss from my previous internship and he doesn't have anything for me either.

I really want to get more serious and change up my strategy but I just don't know how. Any advice on how to step it up is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you applying only through sites like monster and usajobs? I've found more offerings by actually seeking out companies' career pages. On top of big and medium size chem businesses, look into DOE labs and environmental consulting agencies. Lots of demand for chem engies there.

I've ran into quite a lot of postings for chem engineers at the entry level, no doubt you've already applied to them if you've already done 40. All I can say is just keep trying. If you haven't had luck with your credentials, I wonder what kind of hope there is for the rest of us...

A decent letter of recommendation from your internship supervisor might open a door or two. Work-history is a big sell for managers in this economic environment.

My nephew interned summers at a paper mill while studying engineering. He had to relocate to the southern end of the state to get decent wages, but he had work waiting for him when he graduated. He was quite diligent about his work history as an intern, because jobs in central Maine are scarce, and he didn't want to leave the state like his older brother did. Good luck.

Thank you for the replies
Yes Lava, I usually first find the jobs on boards like monster and indeed, but then I go to the companies website and apply directly through them.

Has anyone had much success with online applications?? I had a little faith in them because I somehow got my internships with them. But they're feeling more and more like a big waste of time. I'm not sure what else to do though. I've tried calling places to see if I could get a contact and ask some questions so I could stand out, but they've been very rude when I call. Its like how dare I have the nerve to disturb them for 2 minutes.

I've never had success with online applications. I still send them out occasionally. I have also called places like you said with similar results.

Getting a job can tough, landing a career can be very difficult. The longer you spend out of school looking the harder it gets...

1. What should I do to stand out to potential employers?

To stand out to potential employers, it is important to have a strong resume that highlights your skills, experiences, and achievements. You should also network and make connections in your desired industry, and consider gaining additional skills through internships or volunteer work. It is also important to tailor your applications to each specific job and company.

2. How can I prepare for job interviews?

To prepare for job interviews, research the company and the position beforehand so you can demonstrate your knowledge and interest during the interview. Practice common interview questions and have examples ready to showcase your skills and experiences. Dress professionally and arrive early for the interview. Also, don't forget to follow up with a thank-you note or email after the interview.

3. What are some job search resources for recent grads?

Some job search resources for recent grads include online job boards and career websites, career fairs and networking events, and professional social media platforms like LinkedIn. Your college or university may also have a career center that offers job search assistance and resources.

4. How important is networking in finding a job after graduation?

Networking is extremely important in finding a job after graduation. Many job opportunities are not publicly advertised, and networking allows you to tap into these hidden job markets. Building relationships with professionals in your desired industry can also provide valuable insights and potential job leads. Additionally, referrals from connections can help increase your chances of getting hired.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble finding a job after graduation?

If you are having trouble finding a job after graduation, don't get discouraged. Consider reaching out to your college or university's career center for assistance with your job search. You can also expand your job search to different industries or locations, and consider obtaining additional skills or certifications to make yourself a more competitive candidate. Networking and utilizing online job search resources can also help increase your chances of finding a job.