Recovering a frame field from its connection forms

In summary, the conversation discusses a research problem involving recovering a frame field given its connection forms. The process involves obtaining an orthonormal frame field and connection forms, computing interior products of 1-forms onto the frame fields, and solving for the frame field given a list of interior contractions. The Frobenius theorem is mentioned as a possible approach, but the speaker is unsure of where to start and asks for suggestions on how to approach the problem. They also suggest a different formulation of the problem involving enumerating frame axis differentials.
underflow
Hi,

I have a faced a research problem where I would need to recover a frame field given its connection forms. More precisely, I begin with an orthonormal frame field (given by data) in [itex]\Re^3[/itex] written as
[tex]
\mathbf F=\begin{pmatrix}\vec f_1\\\vec f_2\\\vec f_3\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
where [itex]\vec f_i:\Re^3\rightarrow\Re^3[/itex] are vectors fields with [itex]\vec f_i\cdot\vec f_j=\delta_{ij}[/itex], and [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] is the Kronecker delta. I then obtain the connection forms
$$
\omega_{ij}=\text{d}\vec f_i\cdot\vec f_j,
$$
which yields
$$
\text{d}\mathbf F=\Omega\mathbf F
$$
where [itex]\Omega=[\omega_{ij}]\in\Re^{3\times3}[/itex] is the skew-symmetric matrix of connection forms.

In my application, I then proceed by computing the interior product of the 1-forms [itex]\omega_{ij}[/itex] onto the frame fields themselves (the Christoffel symbols), i.e., I compute
$$
\omega_{ijk}\equiv\omega_{ij}\langle\vec f_k\rangle\in\Re
$$
where [itex]\langle\cdot\rangle[/itex] denotes the standard interior product for forms. I thus obtain 9 different measurements at each point, i.e., [itex]\omega_{121},\omega_{122},\omega_{123},\omega_{131},\omega_{132},\omega_{133},\omega_{231},\omega_{232},\omega_{232}[/itex], each of which has a very precise meaning in the application at hand.

Now, I would like to do the converse, i.e., **I would like to solve for [itex]\mathbf F[/itex] given the list of interior contractions** [itex]\omega_{121},\omega_{122},\omega_{123},\omega_{131},\omega_{132},\omega_{133},\omega_{231},\omega_{232},\omega_{232}[/itex].

The Frobenius theorem states the unique existence of [itex]\mathbf F[/itex] in the neighborhood of [itex]0[/itex] if we set [itex]\mathbf F(0)=I[/itex] and if the following are satisfied:
$$
\Omega=\text{d}(F)F^{-1}
$$
$$
\text{d}\Omega-\Omega^2=0.
$$
but I'm unsure about where to start. Would anybody have a suggestion on how to approach this problem? Is there a formal name to what I'm trying to do?

Perhaps a better way to formulate the problem is to enumerate the frame axis differentials directly:
\begin{align}
\text{d}\vec f_1&=\omega_{12}\vec f_2+\omega_{13}\vec f_3\\
\text{d}\vec f_2&=-\omega_{12}\vec f_1+\omega_{23}\vec f_3\\
\text{d}\vec f_3&=-\omega_{13}\vec f_1-\omega_{23}\vec f_2.
\end{align}

Writing the direction of contraction as
$$\vec v=\sum_i^3(\vec v\cdot\vec f_i)\vec f_i=\sum_i^3v_i\vec f_i$$
we obtain
\begin{aligned}
\text{d}\vec f_1\langle\vec v\rangle&=\left(\sum_i^3v_i\omega_{12i}\right)\vec f_2+\left(\sum_i^3v_i\omega_{13i}\right)\vec f_3\\
\text{d}\vec f_2\langle\vec v\rangle&=-\left(\sum_i^3v_i\omega_{12i}\right)\vec f_1+\left(\sum_i^3v_i\omega_{13i}\right)\vec f_3\\
\text{d}\vec f_3\langle\vec v\rangle&=-\left(\sum_i^3v_i\omega_{13i}\right)\vec f_1-\left(\sum_i^3v_i\omega_{23i}\right)\vec f_2.
\end{aligned}

Which would give us three coupled differential equations to solve...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is a frame field?

A frame field is a vector field on a manifold that assigns a set of linearly independent vectors to each point on the manifold. It is used to describe the local orientation of the tangent space at each point.

2. How are connection forms related to frame fields?

Connection forms are mathematical objects that describe how a frame field changes as one moves along a curve on the manifold. They are used to define a connection on the manifold, which is a way of measuring how vectors change as they are parallel transported along a curve.

3. Why is it important to be able to recover a frame field from its connection forms?

Recovering a frame field from its connection forms is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a frame field in a more tangible way. It also helps us to calculate geometric quantities, such as curvature, which are essential in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What are some applications of recovering a frame field from its connection forms?

One application is in the study of differential geometry, where frame fields and connections are used to define geometric structures on manifolds. Another application is in physics, where the concept of a frame field is used to describe the local orientation of a physical system, such as the orientation of a magnetic field.

5. Are there any challenges in recovering a frame field from its connection forms?

Yes, there are several challenges, including the non-uniqueness of the solution and the difficulty in finding an explicit formula for the frame field in terms of the connection forms. Additionally, the calculation can become very complex for higher-dimensional manifolds and more complicated connection structures.