Killing vector field => global isomorphisms?

In summary, the flow of a killing vector field is defined on all of its open sets, but is not globally defined.
center o bass
Suppose we have a vector field ##V## defined everywhere on a manifold ##M##. Consider now point ##p \in M##. As a consequence of the existence and uniqueness theorem of differential equations. this implies that ##V## gives rise to a unique local flow
$$\theta:(-\epsilon,\epsilon) \times U \to M$$
for ##(-\epsilon,\epsilon) \in \mathbb{R}## and ##p \in U## where ##U## is an open subset of M.

Now if ##\theta_t(p) = \theta(t,p)##, and if ##V## is a killing field, then ##\theta_t: U \to M## should be isometries. But do they belong to isometry group ##Isom(M)##? I.e. are they global as a consequence of ##V## being globally defined and a killing field?

Is there not a bijective correspondence between global isometries and globally defined Killing vector fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue is that for a given t, no matter how small, [itex]\theta_t(p)[/itex] may not be defined for all p in M. The typical example is M= open upper half plane and [itex]V = -\partial/\partial y[/itex]. Given any t, you can always choose For p=(x,y) with y small enough so that the flow at time t is not defined (because following the flow would "take us out of M").

But if M is compact, you can cover it with finitely many open sets U_i on which the flow is defined on [itex](-\epsilon_i,\epsilon_i)[/itex]. Then for [itex]|t|<\epsilon:=\min_i\epsilon_i[/itex], the flow is defined globally.

Also, if V is complete, then its flow is defined on all M for all t.

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
The issue is that for a given t, no matter how small, [itex]\theta_t(p)[/itex] may not be defined for all p in M. The typical example is M= open upper half plane and [itex]V = -\partial/\partial y[/itex]. Given any t, you can always choose For p=(x,y) with y small enough so that the flow at time t is not defined (because following the flow would "take us out of M").

But if M is compact, you can cover it with finitely many open sets U_i on which the flow is defined on [itex](-\epsilon_i,\epsilon_i)[/itex]. Then for [itex]|t|<\epsilon:=\min_i\epsilon_i[/itex], the flow is defined globally.

Also, if V is complete, then its flow is defined on all M for all t.

I see the problem here when ##M## is not compact. Does this then imply that ##\text{Isom(M)}## does not contain any globally defined one-parameter subgroups? For then it seems possible to use these to define a global action who's induced vector field would be Killing fields.

Last edited:
Even if M is not compact there can exist complete vector fields.

For instance, let f:R-->R be a smooth "bump function" which is 0 on [0,½] and 1 on [1,oo), and let [itex]V'(x,y):=-f(y)\partial/\partial y[/itex]. This is a Killing field on our open half plane whose flow is defined on all of M for all t.

quasar987 said:
Even if M is not compact there can exist complete vector fields.

For instance, let f:R-->R be a smooth "bump function" which is 0 on [0,½] and 1 on [1,oo), and let [itex]V'(x,y):=-f(y)\partial/\partial y[/itex]. This is a Killing field on our open half plane whose flow is defined on all of M for all t.

I have to disagree there. ##V' \equiv - f(y) \, \partial_y## is not Killing on the upper-half-plane with standard Euclidean metric (which I think you have been discussing):

[tex]\mathcal{L}_{V'} \big( dx \otimes dx + dy \otimes dy \big) = - 2 \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \, dy \otimes dy \neq 0.[/tex]
Your attempt to "compress" the flow of ##V'## causes it to fail to preserve the metric between ##\frac12 < y < 1##.

The upper-half-plane with Euclidean metric is geodesically incomplete, which is why ##V \equiv \partial_y## fails to be a global isometry.

Oh yes of course, bad example! Thx Ben.

I should maybe say then that d/dx is Killing complete on the open upper half-plane.

After reading up on flows in John Lee's "introduction to smooth manifolds" at page 212 he states the fundamental theorem of flows which asserts that given a smooth vector field ##V## on ##M## there exists a unique smooth maximal flow ##\theta: D \to M##, where ##D## is an open subset of ##\mathbb{R} \times M##, such that ##\theta^{(p)}: (-\epsilon_p,\epsilon_p) \to M## is the unique maximal integral curve starting at ##p##.

I might have misunderstood your argument for ##-\partial_y## on the upper half plane, but does it not imply that such a maximal flow does not exist?

Never mind. I got it straighten out.

1. What is a killing vector field?

A killing vector field is a type of vector field in mathematics that preserves the geometry of a given space. In other words, it is a vector field that does not change the shape or structure of a space when it is applied to it.

2. How does a killing vector field relate to global isomorphisms?

A killing vector field is important in the study of global isomorphisms because it allows for the identification of symmetries in a space. These symmetries can then be used to define global isomorphisms, which are mappings between two spaces that preserve their geometric structure.

3. Can a killing vector field always be used to define a global isomorphism?

No, a killing vector field can only be used to define a global isomorphism if it satisfies certain conditions. These conditions include being a smooth function and preserving the metric tensor of the space.

4. What are the benefits of using killing vector fields in the study of global isomorphisms?

Killing vector fields provide a powerful tool for identifying symmetries in a space and defining global isomorphisms. They also allow for the simplification and generalization of mathematical equations and proofs.

5. Are there any limitations to using killing vector fields in the study of global isomorphisms?

While killing vector fields are useful in many cases, they may not always fully capture the symmetries of a space. In addition, the existence of a killing vector field does not guarantee the existence of a global isomorphism.