"Scissoring" Monitor Mount - Cantilever Tipping Point

In summary, the person is looking for help in designing a "scissor lift" type mount for their triple monitors. They want to be able to pull the monitors closer or push them further away without having to slide something across their desk. They have a lot of Misumi aluminum extrusion and are trying to figure out the length of the legs/feet needed for stability, taking into account the weight of the monitors, articulating arms, and additional aluminum.
zild1221
OK. Hopefully you guys can help me. I could do this off of just trial and error, but I would rather not have to re-cut any of my material as it is expensive. I just built a nice new desk and would rather not permanently mount a scissoring monitor mount. I have triple 24" monitors. My old setup was that the center one was permanently affixed, and the left and right were attached to two articulating arms.

My new setup, I want to be able to pull all 3 monitors close to me, or push further away without having to slide something across my desk. I have Misumi aluminum extrusion coming out of my ears, so I figured I would build a "scissor lift" type design that is mounted horizontally. I am not worried about flex in the extrusion or anything like that so hopefully this is easy.

I need to figure out how long of "legs/feet" I would need out forward of the main upright of the mount. Here's a really rough diagram of what I mean. The red bits are the legs. Forgive the rough'ness, I'm on a crappy old laptop and can barely run sketchup!

http://i.imgur.com/g9gq2ns.png

I'd like the monitors to come forward 16" or more possibly. Each monitor weighs about 9lb, the two articulating arms I have are 2.2lb each, and between the aluminum that extends off the uprights and the panel that the middle monitor mounts to, I'd figure maybe another 3lb on the high side.

If you guys could provide any insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
zild1221 said:
I need to figure out how long of "legs/feet" I would need out forward of the main upright of the mount. Here's a really rough diagram of what I mean. The red bits are the legs. Forgive the rough'ness, I'm on a crappy old laptop and can barely run sketchup!

This will depend on how heavy the base is. The safe bet is just to make the feet come out as far as the monitors do. This will guarantee it won't tip on its own.

What is a "Scissoring" Monitor Mount?

A "Scissoring" Monitor Mount is a type of monitor mount that uses a scissor-like mechanism to extend and retract the monitor's position. This allows for a greater range of motion and flexibility compared to traditional monitor mounts.

How does the Cantilever Tipping Point affect the stability of the monitor mount?

The Cantilever Tipping Point refers to the maximum angle at which the monitor can be extended before the mount becomes unstable and the monitor tips over. It is an important factor to consider when choosing a monitor mount to ensure the safety of your equipment.

What are the benefits of using a "Scissoring" Monitor Mount?

A "Scissoring" Monitor Mount offers several benefits, including increased flexibility and adjustability, saving desk space, and improving ergonomics by allowing for proper monitor positioning. It also provides a sleek and modern look to your workspace.

What is the weight capacity of a "Scissoring" Monitor Mount?

The weight capacity of a "Scissoring" Monitor Mount varies depending on the specific model. However, most mounts can support monitors weighing between 10-20 pounds. It is important to check the weight capacity before purchasing to ensure it can support your monitor.

How do I install a "Scissoring" Monitor Mount?

The installation process for a "Scissoring" Monitor Mount may vary depending on the model. However, most mounts come with detailed instructions and all necessary hardware for installation. It is important to follow the instructions carefully to ensure the mount is securely attached to your desk or wall.