Understanding Basic Chemical Concepts: Equilibrium, pH, and Subatomic Particles

• Thread starter Dooh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary: So if you have a solution with a given molarity of OH, then you can just subtract pOH from 14 and you have the pH of the solution.1) What is the difference between pH and pOH? Other than 1 is used for acid and other base. If a neutral solution has a pH of 7, what's it's pOH, 7?I'm not sure what you're asking here. Can you please post a specific question for which you need help?
Dooh
Hey guys i need some help. Most of these questions i already know the answer to but i just want to make sure I'm right. My final grade is riding on this :grumpy:

1) If given a chemical equilibrium reaction with the delta H, by comparing the rate of the final reaction, is it possible to find the rate of reverse reaction? I don't think its possible.

2) If a reaction has a negative delta H, that means it's an endothermic reaction. Since increasing the temperature of an equation favors endothermic reaction, does that mean will shift towards the reactant?

3) How do you find the pH of a solution with given molarity of OH? Do you first solve for the pOH, then subtract it from 14 and obtain pH?

4) What is the difference between pH and pOH? Other than 1 is used for acid and other base. If a neutral solution has a pH of 7, what's it's pOH, 7?

5) In the symbol for ammonia, NH, why is the Nitrogen written first?

6) In the reaction, 2HOH + 2Na --> H_2 + 2Na+ + OH-, is the Na being reduced or oxidized?

7) What is the subatomic article with mass 1/1837 amu and -1 charge? What is this i totally don't get it.

Any help would be appreaciated. I'll check back later while i go study mroe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alot of these can juts be looked up in your book. The first one is possible. You should probably eelaborate on your answers to the questions if you have any.

The problem is, i no longer have the book with me. What do you mean by elaborating it?

It would be easier for people to help if you post what you think the correct answers are and why. That way, if you make a mistake, it will be easy to show exactly where you went wrong and how to correct it.

Last edited:
pH + pOH = 14

1) If given a chemical equilibrium reaction with the delta H, by comparing the rate of the final reaction, is it possible to find the rate of reverse reaction? I don't think its possible.

Well in this one, i have no idea how i would find the rate of final reaction. So if anyone can show me how to do it, i'd appreaciate it. The reaction is:

C_3H_8 + 5O_2 --> 4H_2O + 3C)_2 ::: delta H = -270 kcal/mole C_3H_8

What do you mean by the rate of the final reaction?

At equilibirium the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. So if the rate of the forward reaction is given, then the rate of the reverse reaction is also known.

is this the exact form of the problem? The least you can do is to post the appropriate problem.

What's the only subatomic particle that has a negative charge? If a neutron is 1 amu, a proton is 1 amu, then what particle is 1/1837 amu? Deductive reasoning.

Paden Roder

pH is the minus logarithims of H+ ions in a solution. And this the same for pOH. Experimentations have shown that pH+pOH=14.

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance that is made up of only one type of atom. A compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms chemically bonded together.

2. What is the atomic structure of an atom?

An atom is made up of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and electrons that orbit the nucleus in energy levels.

3. What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy from its surroundings.

4. How do you calculate the number of moles in a substance?

To calculate the number of moles in a substance, divide the mass of the substance by its molar mass.

5. What is the difference between a physical and chemical change?

A physical change does not alter the chemical makeup of a substance, while a chemical change results in a new substance being formed with different chemical properties.