What inspired your choice of thesis topic in civil engineering?

• Thread starter Pyrrhus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Year
In summary: No, it is not mandatory to do a thesis. You can do a thesis if you want to, but it's not required. I did my undergraduate thesis in India.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Greetings PF!, As some of you may or may not know i am in the process of starting my thesis.

Here's some background about me:

I am a senior civil engineering major studying in the Dominican Republic. I'll have about a year or less to write the thesis, it could be longer, it depends on the depth of the project. Although the average of time seems to be about 8 months (simple topics, i guess).

I've little idea about what i want to research and work on. Currently, my main interests seems to be Reinforced Concrete (Mechanics and Design), and Pavement Design. Broad topics indeed, and i must choose something... Hehe hopefully inside them.

At the moment, I'm leaning for a "structural material" that is not as used as concrete or steel in my country. Mainly, it was the idea of one of my teachers. I'm still analyzing my approach for this. It might lead me on to something... :confused:

Discussion:

I am wondering, how was that you guys (People with Bacherlors, sorry for the rest :redface: ) came up with your thesis topic? did you guys know what you wanted to do? did a teacher come up with the idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you go to school at a place where the faculty are involved in research, you can typically choose a faculty advisor who will be glad to hand you work related to his/her current field of research. This was how it worked for me.

Gokul43201 said:
If you go to school at a place where the faculty are involved in research, you can typically choose a faculty advisor who will be glad to hand you work related to his/her current field of research. This was how it worked for me.

Hey Gokul, i followed your advice. I guess now i am not doing research on wood anymore, it's Hot Mix Asphalt. So far, it's working pretty good, I've just started the thesis, i believe in a couple of weeks, i will start doing the tests.

We don't do a thesis. Thats only for masters degree and Phd. Good luck!

cyrusabdollahi said:
We don't do a thesis. Thats only for masters degree and Phd. Good luck!
Hey cyrus!, i guess we are old school down here, but what do you guys do? an internship at the end or something?

Nope. You take your classes and they boot you out. That is the first time I've ever heard of an undergrad having to do a thesis that is year long.

When I was in college I did research on my undergrad thesis over about a year.

Cyclovenom said:
Discussion:

I am wondering, how was that you guys (People with Bacherlors, sorry for the rest :redface: ) came up with your thesis topic? did you guys know what you wanted to do? did a teacher come up with the idea?

Where I did my undergrad, the senior thesis is completely optional, so I had the benefit of not having to put quite as much effort into it as a masters or PhD student would (though it was good practice for grad school, I suppose). Basically I just emailed a bunch of professors a few months before my senior thesis, asking if they had any research I could get involved in. One of them responded, and I spent the year working on mathematical modeling of electromagnetic waves. I probably only spent two or three weeks writing the actual paper; it was the coding that took me the whole of two semesters.

I also learned that I utterly detest theoretical physics. When I go to grad school, I've sworn not to do research that doesn't involve some sort of data-taking.

Gokul43201 said:
When I was in college I did research on my undergrad thesis over about a year.

Was it manditory to do a thesis? Did you do undergrad here or in India? (for some reason I thought you came here for your Phd)

What does "it's that time of the year" mean?

"It's that time of the year" is a phrase commonly used to indicate that a particular season or holiday is approaching. It can also refer to a time of year that is associated with certain events or activities.

Why do we use this phrase?

This phrase is often used to express excitement or anticipation for a specific time of year. It can also serve as a reminder to prepare for upcoming events or activities.

What are some examples of "that time of the year"?

Some examples of "that time of the year" could include holidays such as Christmas or Thanksgiving, seasonal events like back-to-school or summer vacation, or specific times of the year for certain activities like Halloween or tax season.

Is "that time of the year" the same for everyone?

No, "that time of the year" can vary depending on location, culture, and personal experiences. For example, someone living in a different hemisphere may have a different time of year for holidays or seasons.

How does "that time of the year" affect our daily lives?

"That time of the year" can have a significant impact on our daily lives as it often brings changes in weather, routines, and activities. It can also bring about traditions, celebrations, and gatherings with loved ones.