What is the purpose of unit vectors in mechanics?

In summary: So, unit vectors are not used to specify a finite length or interval within a vector, but rather to specify a direction or to set up a coordinate system. In summary, unit vectors are used to separate the magnitude and direction of a vector and are helpful in setting up coordinate systems.
CGUE
I've been reading and studying from 'Engineering Mechanics - STATICS 5th edition' by Beford and Fowler and it says that the definition of the unit vector e is that it has a magnitude of 1.
Then e.g. V = |V|e
Then isn't it just V = |V|?
I still find unit vectors pointless/confusing.
I need some enlightment on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
A bold-face letter represents a vector. Therefore V is a vector.

A plain-face letter (unbolded) is a scalar quantity (which has no direction). So, V is a scalar.

Now, if you write V = |V| then you're saying "the scalar V is equal to the magnitude of the vector V".

But you cannot write V = V, obviously, since one object is a vector and the other is a scalar.

So, what does this mean:

V = |V|e ?

What this says is "vector V equals the modulus of vector V (i.e. a scalar having the magnitude of vector V) multiplied by the unit vector e". Recall that a vector multiplied by a scalar gives a vector.

Writing vector V this way separates out the magnitude of the vector from its direction. The magnitude is |V| = V, and the direction is the direction of e.

Does that help?

James R said:
A bold-face letter represents a vector. Therefore V is a vector.

A plain-face letter (unbolded) is a scalar quantity (which has no direction). So, V is a scalar.

Now, if you write V = |V| then you're saying "the scalar V is equal to the magnitude of the vector V".

But you cannot write V = V, obviously, since one object is a vector and the other is a scalar.

So, what does this mean:

V = |V|e ?

What this says is "vector V equals the modulus of vector V (i.e. a scalar having the magnitude of vector V) multiplied by the unit vector e". Recall that a vector multiplied by a scalar gives a vector.

Writing vector V this way separates out the magnitude of the vector from its direction. The magnitude is |V| = V, and the direction is the direction of e.

Does that help?

This and the explanation in my tutorial helped me clarify things.
Also to put it short, do we use unit vectors to specify a certain finite length or interval within a vector of total length V?

Also to put it short, do we use unit vectors to specify a certain finite length or interval within a vector of total length V?

Unit vectors are most commonly used to specify directions of vectors. Also, they are useful in setting up coordinate systems, so that arbitrary vectors can be written in component form.

For example, a vector in two dimensions might be written as

[tex]\mathbf{v} = 3 \hat{i} + 4 \hat{j}[/tex]

where [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{j}[/itex] are unit vectors in the x and y directions. Vector v in this case is a vector of length (magnitude) 5 units, and can be constructed by adding a vector of length 3 pointing in the same direction as the positive x-axis and a vector of length 4 pointing in the same direction as the positive y axis.

1. What is a unit vector in mechanics?

A unit vector in mechanics is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to represent a specific direction in a coordinate system. It is often used to break down a larger vector into its components and is useful in solving problems involving forces and motion.

2. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, you can divide the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with a magnitude of 1 in the same direction as the original vector.

3. Can unit vectors be negative?

No, unit vectors cannot be negative. They always have a magnitude of 1 and are used to represent a direction, not a quantity. The sign of a vector indicates the direction, not the magnitude.

4. How are unit vectors used in mechanics?

Unit vectors are used in mechanics to represent the direction of forces and motion. They are also used to break down larger vectors into their components, making it easier to solve problems involving forces and motion.

5. Are unit vectors only used in mechanics?

No, unit vectors are not only used in mechanics. They are used in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are useful for representing directions and breaking down larger vectors into their components.