Convergence of Bounded Sequences: Proving the Convergence of (anbn) to Zero

In summary, we need to prove that the sequence (anbn) converges to zero, given that (an) is a bounded sequence and (bn) converges to zero. By using the definition of convergence, we can show that (anbn) is bounded and by choosing the right values for N, we can show that (anbn) converges to zero. Therefore, the sequence (anbn) converges to zero.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Assume that (an) is a bounded (but not necessarily convergent) sequence, and that the
sequence (bn) converges to 0. Prove that the sequence (anbn) converges to zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that an is a bounded sequence and bn converges to 0.

That means for all n in N, there exists a M >0 so that
|an|<=M
Since bn converges, that means that it must be bounded as well. Which means for all n in N there exists a P>0 so that
|bn|<=P

since |an|<=M and |bn|<=P that means for all n in N:
|an||bn|<= MP which is equivalent to |anbn|<=MP
where MP>0 since M>0 and P>0. Hence (anbn) is bounded

Since bn converges to 0 that means for e>0 there exists an N in N so that for n>=N
|bn-0|<e
which is equivalent to -e<bn<e

This is where I get stuck. Do I just multiply the inequality by an? cause then I'd have
-e(an)<bnan<e(an)
which would be equivalent to |anbn|<e2 if I let e2=e(an) which would mean that anbn converges to zero as well. But I don't know if I can multiply the sequence by it though...

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
dancergirlie said:

Homework Statement

Assume that (an) is a bounded (but not necessarily convergent) sequence, and that the
sequence (bn) converges to 0. Prove that the sequence (anbn) converges to zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that an is a bounded sequence and bn converges to 0.

That means for all n in N, there exists a M >0 so that
|an|<=M
Since bn converges, that means that it must be bounded as well. Which means for all n in N there exists a P>0 so that
|bn|<=P
an bounded look alright
As bn is convergent, I would say for any P>0, there exists N such that for all n>N then
|bn-0|< |bn|

dancergirlie said:
since |an|<=M and |bn|<=P that means for all n in N:
|an||bn|<= MP which is equivalent to |anbn|<=MP
where MP>0 since M>0 and P>0. Hence (anbn) is bounded

Since bn converges to 0 that means for e>0 there exists an N in N so that for n>=N
|bn-0|<e
which is equivalent to -e<bn<e

This is where I get stuck. Do I just multiply the inequality by an? cause then I'd have
-e(an)<bnan<e(an)
which would be equivalent to |anbn|<e2 if I let e2=e(an) which would mean that anbn converges to zero as well. But I don't know if I can multiply the sequence by it though...

Any help would be great!
i think you were almost there...

now what you need to show to prove an.bn converges to zero, is that for any e>0 you can choose N, such that for all n>N you have
|an.bn|<e

as you know an<=M for all n, then
|an.bn|<=|M.bn|

so now you just need to show you can choose N such that for all n>N
|bn|<=e/|M|
and i think you're there

updated above

thanks for the help :)

What is converging analysis proof?

Converging analysis proof is a mathematical technique used to prove the convergence of a series or sequence. It involves showing that the series or sequence approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases.

Why is converging analysis proof important?

Converging analysis proof is important because it allows us to determine whether a series or sequence will eventually approach a specific value or not. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, statistics, and physics.

What are the steps involved in converging analysis proof?

The first step in converging analysis proof is to define the series or sequence and its terms. Then, we use various techniques such as the limit comparison test, ratio test, or root test to determine if the series or sequence converges. Finally, we use the limit definition to prove the convergence of the series or sequence.

How do I know which convergence test to use?

Choosing the appropriate convergence test depends on the form of the series or sequence. For example, if the series or sequence contains factorials or powers, the ratio or root test can be used. If the series or sequence involves trigonometric functions, the limit comparison test may be more suitable.

What happens if the series or sequence does not converge?

If the series or sequence does not converge, it is said to diverge. This means that the series or sequence does not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. In this case, we may need to use other methods, such as the integral or comparison test, to determine the behavior of the series or sequence.