What are the potential impacts of public confidence on the economy's recovery?

• News
  • Thread starter Phrak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economic
In summary, the economy is still at the brink. The president is trying to revive it by restoring confidence in the capital markets, but this is dangerously misguided. The government has been propping up the economy for years and this has had negative consequences. The economy will not recover until the government restructures its economy.
Al68 said:
Sure, my point was only that the time used might have far greater economic value, if used for something else.
Personally, I think the greatest problem with the economy is that there are too many services that create too much dependency among consumers. Already in the youngest grades, children in schools have their lunches prepared for them, learning materials ready-made for them to "fill in the blanks," etc. etc. They are socialized into economic dependency on means of production that are not under their own control. This is because of all the institutionalized productivity that is already occurring where people produce so much economic value that it becomes possible for many other people not to have to produce such value. One person working at a sandwich shop can make sandwiches for hundreds of people eliminated the need for them to make their own sandwich. As a result, people become accustomed to depending on numerous sources for things they could be doing themselves and they end up wasting fuel and other resources making rounds to take advantage of all those consumption opportunities. What's more, an elaborate economy develops to fulfill all this superfluous consumer-demand, which is what creates the idea that more people should be more productive, i.e. because current productivity is currently not enough, let alone excessive.

My belief is that current economic practices are excessive and that inefficiency has generally increased because people have become so liberated from the need to rationalize their productivity and consumption. This would be a good thing if there wasn't a tendency to normalize economic patterns and seek funding for them instead of rationally consolidating them. If surplus labor-productivity was used to consolidate existing practices into more efficient ones, less and less labor hours would be required to fulfill basic needs and people would get most or at least much of their time back for other pursuits. This is actually what many people believed would happen as a result of mass-production before it became evident that surplus labor hours would get recycled by expanding services, whether for necessity, luxury, or just whim.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that it appears the topic has been somewhat strayed from, I thought I would throw myself at the mercy of almighty mentordom, and repost a post I made in what I would consider a DOA thread just a few minutes ago, as it seems very relevant here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/forget-the-double-dip-ecri-says-america-is-experiencing-a-revival-in-growth-2010-12"
Dec. 2, 2010

What that means is we can finally put the fears of a double-dip recession to bed, says Economic Cycle Research Institute co-founder Lakshman Achuthan.

“In October we were able to rule out this double-dip nightmare scenario,” he says. “We are able to see very clearly, with a good deal of conviction, a revival in growth,” he tells Aaron and Dan in this clip.

The improvements are widespread, Achuthan says.

* Profit growth and productivity are on the rise. Achuthan says that leads to more hiring and capital investment in equipment.

* Housing has stabilized. The outlook may not be rosy, but “it’s not falling off a new cliff,” which means it’s not a drag.

* Cheap capital as a result of low interest rates. The private sector continues to create jobs.

* Pent-up demand. Thanks to the jump in jobs, people are less afraid of losing their positions, Achuthan suggests. And after two years of saving and worrying, consumers have “frugality fatigue” which is beginning to show in the improvements in holiday shopping data.

Last edited by a moderator:
brainstorm said:
One person working at a sandwich shop can make sandwiches for hundreds of people eliminated the need for them to make their own sandwich.

i believe this is the basis for what we would call an economy. Everyone specializing in doing something more efficiently than people can do individually. Then we exchange these specialized products. If we take your sandwich example to the other end of the spectrum, should we all start making our own cars? I know people who have, and have done a much better job than Detroit, but it took them years.

Though I do understand your point, and I do understand some peoples frustrations when it appears that we're using public money to, metaphorically speaking, wipe peoples butts.

brainstorm said:
If surplus labor-productivity was used to consolidate existing practices into more efficient ones, less and less labor hours would be required to fulfill basic needs and people would get most or at least much of their time back for other pursuits.
This is exactly what has happened, far fewer labor hours are required to fulfill basic needs. The difference is most people want much more than that.
This is actually what many people believed would happen as a result of mass-production before it became evident that surplus labor hours would get recycled by expanding services, whether for necessity, luxury, or just whim.
You got it right with "luxury". Most people would rather work 8+ hours a day for someone else and live in relative luxury than to work fewer hours at a job, but live poorer.

But I do know someone in particular who just works part time for that very reason. He inherited his house, grows a garden, has chickens, cooks his own meals, washes dishes by hand, etc. He doesn't live rich by any means, but he seems more content than most would be without the standard of living most in the U.S. desire. And he's not even Amish. :smile:

But most people would rather take full advantage of the fact that their time is far too valuable to spend it cooking, sewing, washing dishes, etc.

OmCheeto said:
i believe this is the basis for what we would call an economy. Everyone specializing in doing something more efficiently than people can do individually. Then we exchange these specialized products. If we take your sandwich example to the other end of the spectrum, should we all start making our own cars? I know people who have, and have done a much better job than Detroit, but it took them years.
Economy just refers generally to labor, productivity, utilization of resources, consumption, etc. Economics occurred before industrialism, and economic activities may still be broadly identified as pre-industrial, industrial, or post-industrial. Many post-industrial economic activities are reminiscent of pre-industrial activities that are made possible by surplus labor liberated by automation and mass-production efficiency gains. Where industry lays-off workers, these workers can be utilized for services such as house-servant, food-service, etc. The question is whether it is economically beneficial to put all these industrial layoffs to work for each other in just any type of service since it creates unnecessary service-dependency and higher expectations for consumption that are simply not possible for everyone to attain when they are service-intensive.

Though I do understand your point, and I do understand some peoples frustrations when it appears that we're using public money to, metaphorically speaking, wipe peoples butts.
Right, and what's even worse is that valuable resources are being used and wasted. E.g. people are not walking to each other's houses and offices to "wipe their butts." They're driving and seeking levels of compensation that facilitate consumption of excessive energy and other resources. In other words, they expect to get paid for doing little to consume lots.

Al68 said:
This is exactly what has happened, far fewer labor hours are required to fulfill basic needs. The difference is most people want much more than that.You got it right with "luxury". Most people would rather work 8+ hours a day for someone else and live in relative luxury than to work fewer hours at a job, but live poorer.
But there's not enough "luxury" for everyone to enjoy it and, even if there was, would it be worth the resource-drain?

But I do know someone in particular who just works part time for that very reason. He inherited his house, grows a garden, has chickens, cooks his own meals, washes dishes by hand, etc. He doesn't live rich by any means, but he seems more content than most would be without the standard of living most in the U.S. desire. And he's not even Amish. :smile:
Technically everyone should be able to live like that since there are enough houses for everyone to inherit one. The reason there aren't is because instead of giving their house to their heir, some people borrow against their house to spend the money and then leave the house to the bank. The bank then has to sell the house to recoup the loan, which initiates the cycle of living on debt.

But most people would rather take full advantage of the fact that their time is far too valuable to spend it cooking, sewing, washing dishes, etc.
Right, but when either private individuals OR government borrows money to fiscally stimulate the economy, the money these people get for their time ends up having to be repaid by the people who borrowed it. If they voluntarily borrowed it, that is somewhat fairer than if the government extracts repayment from them involuntarily, don't you think? It would make more sense to allow the economy to slow down to a level where it's simply not possible for everyone to make as much money as they want so that people will give up expecting to live a lifestyle that depends on other people going into debt, imo.

What would the economy look like if there was no personal credit and no government borrowing/spending? How many opportunities to get rich would there be? Yet, even if there weren't such opportunities, I still think there would be enough economic productivity and resources available for people to live above the poverty line, with basic food and shelter, and maybe even medical care. The problem is some people would rather thrive than survive, even when it means degrading other people's ability to live a non-poverty debt-free lifestyle. The economy the allows people to live free without going into debt even if they can't get rich is the one I would like to see recover.

brainstorm said:
What would the economy look like if there was no personal credit and no government borrowing/spending?
I think the short answer is that the economy would be much stronger, with a higher standard of living in general, if neither individuals nor government could overextend themselves by using too much (unsecured) credit.

Secured debt is completely different, since it results in net positive wealth creation instead of a drain on future wealth creation.

And government borrowing/spending is especially problematic because it uses as collateral an assumed future ability and willingness to confiscate private wealth that hasn't yet been created.

Question for brainstorm: Why does there have to be enough luxury for everyone to enjoy? There are people I know who, quite frankly, do not work and do not deserve the level of luxury that, for example, my parents have. In addition, some levels of work are just worth more than others. There's a reason that we pay doctors a lot more than we pay grocery workers.

Al68 said:
I think the short answer is that the economy would be much stronger, with a higher standard of living in general, if neither individuals nor government could overextend themselves by using too much (unsecured) credit.

Secured debt is completely different, since it results in net positive wealth creation instead of a drain on future wealth creation.
What's the difference with secured debt?

And government borrowing/spending is especially problematic because it uses as collateral an assumed future ability and willingness to confiscate private wealth that hasn't yet been created.
Well, you could look at the debt as a potential to fine future abuses of economic prosperity. The government could actually institutionalize a list of fines to repay the debt when they create it.

Still, the problem would remain that the economy would become accustomed to artificial levels of spending, which would make it vulnerable to a future in which this spending was curtailed. It's like if you're used to supplementing your regular income with loans and so you build up a budget based on the total income and then the loans stop (AND you have to start paying them back!)

brainstorm said:
What's the difference with secured debt?
The fact that the debt is secured with property that has more value than the debt. A conventional loan to buy a house, for example, does not reduce the net worth of the buyer.
Well, you could look at the debt as a potential to fine future abuses of economic prosperity.
Not sure what that means, but the assumed future ability of government to confiscate (yet to be created) wealth is what actually provides confidence to lenders (buyers of government securities).

The debt itself, and the way it is planned to be repaid, is the abuse.

Al68 said:
The fact that the debt is secured with property that has more value than the debt. A conventional loan to buy a house, for example, does not reduce the net worth of the buyer.
But you still can't control for asset depreciation. It just depends on what the economy does with the fiscal stimulus from the lending. If it is invested in profit-value-added commerce, the economy will heat in the direction of new meltdown boom-bust cycles. What really needs to happen is for real property as well as other kinds of commodities to be traded with very low, if any profit margins and labor rates need to be kept at a level that stimulates widespread fiscal discipline among consumers. It is good to have forms of income security and labor-protection, to the extent that these prevent people from falling into desperate situations where they spend more than necessary to compensate for their hardship, by taking high interest loans, buying overpriced commodities, etc. But generally I think it would be good for the economy to have people be able to afford basic life necessities such as food and shelter without long-term debt. This is because debt produces a one-time windfall revenue for property-sellers, which creates an expectation of high average income in the future as well. This is a recipe for problems as people cannot afford to keep piling onto their long-term debts throughout their life-course.

Not sure what that means, but the assumed future ability of government to confiscate (yet to be created) wealth is what actually provides confidence to lenders (buyers of government securities).
It means that the government can play an active role in holding risk-takers responsible for the crisis that led to the bailouts by identifying similar behavior and fining it through taxation. So, for example, crisis-creating business deals like house-flipping and other commodity-flipping could be saddled with the burden of repaying the debt and people who hold investments for longer-term would be exempted from repaying the debt.

The debt itself, and the way it is planned to be repaid, is the abuse.
Yes, but it was an abuse to save the butts of the abusers who causes the meltdown. The meltdown was not caused by bad loans, as some people like to believe because it immunizes them against guilt. It was caused by an overheated market that got overheated in the first place by radical profiteering during the 1990s stock-trading and then similar profiteering in real estate once the stock-boom crashed and people were looking for better investments. Get-rich-quick economies cause crash-and-burn meltdowns. What else?

Al68 said:

This is the concept that EVERY business student understands, but politicians don't - there are no guarantees of future revenue or earnings.

Politicians now talk about $Trillion spending bills as though it's ordinary. Worse yet, they increase spending in the middle of a recession they label as the worst since the Great Depression. For some reason they also believe every dollar spent is "stimulative" - maybe they haven't seen any of the scandal doumentaries on wasted spending? On the other hand, maybe they don't realize their cash flow decreases unless they borrow during these periods? That would be bad (if they don't know IRS collections are down).

There isn't a business on the planet that runs in such a way (and stays in business) s typically the business managers are fired (or prosecuted).

Still in recovery -
President Barack Obama will fly to California today to meet with three of America's most notable tech CEOs -- Apple's Steve Jobs, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, and Google's Eric Schmidt -- presumably to discuss job growth.

. . . . .

Google and Apple and Facebook have been doing tremendously well, generating a huge amount of wealthy and profits and products people like. But the dirty little secret here is that these companies actually don't create that many jobs. Google has less than 30,000 employees. Apple has 30,000 employees. Facebook just a few thousand total. Meanwhile, Apple's biggest contractor in China -- Foxconn -- has more than a million people working there. So these companies are creating wealth, not jobs here. And in Santa Clara county, the headquarters of all three firms, the unemployment rate is still above 10 percent.
. . . . .
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/02/17/am-obama-to-meet-top-silicon-valley-tech-executives/

So just start you're own on-line social-networking, advertising service. :rolleyes:

Astronuc said:
Still in recovery -
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/02/17/am-obama-to-meet-top-silicon-valley-tech-executives/

So just start you're own on-line social-networking, advertising service. :rolleyes:

Indeed.

This is just one side of the coin. If American's tend to like cheap electronics than this is the means of doing it.

Stuck in Phoenix, the Epicenter of Housing Crisis
http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/113212/phoenix-epicenter-housing-crisis-marketwatch
In metropolitan Phoenix, two-thirds of all residential mortgages are underwater. Of these, some 200,000 are 50% larger than the current market value of the properties. Many homeowners have come to doubt whether they'll ever retrieve their lost equity.

In this city of 4 million, the 14th largest in the United States, the median home price is down 53% since the bubble peaked in 2006 to just over $120,000. Only smaller cities such as Las Vegas and Orlando have witnessed equally catastrophic drops.

. . . .

"Some local realtors dispute that pessimistic assessment. They point to strong existing home sales in June," but that is at prices well below what the previous owner paid.

The unexpectedly severe downturn over the last five years shows that nobody really knows the future direction of the housing market. Gary Shilling, a respected forecaster, is predicting that prices could fall another 20% nationally, on top of the 30% decline that has already occurred.
The fundamentals of the economy seem rather poor.

Although the current recession may have been initiated by the bursting of the housing bubble, I think that it was coming all along. The fact of the matter is that we have too many workers for the number of low-skill jobs that are available. Moreover, these workers do not have anywhere near the skills that the future job markets will demand.

As President Clinton pointed out in a TV interview a while ago, there are more than three million high-paying jobs going begging in the US right now. These good jobs require mathematical, technical, and writing skills that today's high school students resolutely refuse to acquire.

If your math skills include algebra, spherical trig, and at least an introduction to calculus, then there are jobs out there looking for you.

The same is true if you are computer savvy with a solid base in data management. There are jobs looking for you (although you may have to compete with many Asians having the same skill set).

Finally, let's say that you are going about your business when you see a problem that you think can be corrected. If you can write a report that describes the problem, its probable origins, how to fix it now, and how to keep it from reoccurring in the future; they you are one in a thousand. If this report is properly spelled, properly punctuated, and grammatically correct, you are one in ten thousand. Lastly, if this report is both brief and readable; then if you don't already have a good job, the fault is yours.

What about those of you who are mathematically inept, scientifically uninformed, and not so hot at expressing yourself? All I can say is that I hope you like sleeping under bridges!

mheslep said:
Yes the unemployment rate for those with a BA/BS and up is 5.1%, compared to ~9% for the country at large.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2010-12-06-collegegrads06_ST_N.htm

Yes. I would hazard that the bulk of those with college degrees who are also unemployed have degrees in fields that--while eminently soul-satisfying and worthy of study--are fields that do not meet the needs of today's markets.

Million-dollar-and-up homes are the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. foreclosure market, with banks seizing some 335% more such properties last year than they did in 2007.
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/5-super-expensive-foreclosures-for-sale.html

But more sobering -

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/08/19/web-the-breakdown-radio-special/
And we examine the so-called "hour-glass economy," which describes the growing divide in America's workforce. The concept helps put into perspective what the future of the American job market might just be 9 percent unemployment and millions out of work.

and some more perspectives on the post-recession recovery, which really doesn't seem post-recession

Downgrades Felt at Local Level
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/113348/downgrades-felt-local-level-wsj?mod=bb-budgeting
To city officials in Manassas Park, Va., Standard & Poor's one-notch downgrade of the U.S. government's credit rating was relatively mild compared with what the firm sprung on them last month.

The tiny city's credit rating was reduced to triple-B from double-A minus—a five-notch tumble.

Hayek Is Wrong, And So Is Bernanke: The Coming Recession Will Be Deflationary
http://news.yahoo.com/hayek-wrong-bernanke-coming-recession-deflationary-225018903.html

Where Coca Cola is investing $4 Billion
http://news.yahoo.com/guess-where-coca-cola-investing-4-billion-015616584.html

Label this post IMO.
I'm familiar with dozens of unemployed manufacturing and construction workers (OH/PA). Most are/were union members and have previously enjoyed the best benefits. The extended unemployment benefits have been helpful - but are also a deterrent to accepting an available job at a lower pay rate and limited or no benefits. Unless a cash payment is offered for a day job (maintenance/construction) - these folks aren't planning to work until all possible benefits are exhausted and the "good" jobs come back. Some of these people have actually gone through 2 or 3 cycles now of (Gov subsidized) "re-training".

On a personal level, I understand their anger and dismay - why should an experienced machine operator stock shelves for minimum wage at the $1 store (selling imported junk from China)?

Employers add no [or few] net jobs in August, while unemployment rate was unchanged at 9.1 pct.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Employers-add-no-net-jobs-in-apf-4252098583.html

Astronuc said:
Hayek Is Wrong, And So Is Bernanke: The Coming Recession Will Be Deflationary
http://news.yahoo.com/hayek-wrong-bernanke-coming-recession-deflationary-225018903.html

Thanks Astronuc.
Forbes said:
Srinivas thinks it’s time for more fiscal stimulus, not less
Srinivas Thiruvadanthai is apparently a real, working economist, but I think this recommendation is the definition of insanity: repeating known actions and expecting a different result. It seems to me one could look to Japan for a well known decade long case of fiscal spending starting in the mid 90's and it got them http://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...im=country:USA:JPN&ifdim=country&hl=en&dl=en".

And here:
A Hayekian decline,” the economist says, “will destroy the social fabric ..."
Holding forth on what will or will not economically destroy society sounds like the words of the central planner, so it is no doubt that he's unaligned with Hayek, the ultimate critic of central planners everywhere. I really wish these guys would cease skipping back and forth between economic standard fare and philosophical pronouncements on the "social fabric", as if their expertise extended from one to the other.

Tough Times in the Second City
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/opinion/tough-times-in-the-second-city.html
. . . greater Chicago. Forty-five percent of mortgaged single-family homes are underwater, meaning people owe more on their mortgages than their homes are worth. Foreclosure epicenters like the Austin and West Englewood communities are checkerboarded with abandoned and decaying properties, many stripped bare by vandals for scrap. Joblessness among African-Americans exceeds 20 percent — almost 50 percent among black youths.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d1193.pdf

There are several ideas on the table for improving the economy that do not include more spending stimulus: some from the various GOP Presidential candidates, some in bills already passed by the House, others proposed by center-right economists. http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/rick-newman/2011/10/31/5-good-ideas-from-4-gop-economic-plans"
USN said:
...Perry and Romney ... both favor changes to the 2002 Sarbanes-Oxley accounting reforms (signed into law by President Bush, after the Enron and Worldcom meltdowns) that would exempt smaller firms and spare them loads of paperwork they often lack the staff to complete. Some of the Dodd-Frank reforms could have similar unintended effects on firms that had nothing to do with the 2008 financial crisis.

Romney has proposed a set of reforms including deadlines for the approval of various types of business permits and a fast-track process when safety or public health aren't an issue. ...
Eliminate corporate tax deductions, lower the corporate tax rate. The deficit committee, that was commissioned by Obama who then ignored its recommendations, came up with the same proposal:
USN said:
...General Electric, for example, earned more than $14 billion in 2010, but paid no U.S. tax on that income because much of it is parked overseas. GE's tax department alone, with a head count of nearly 1,000, is bigger than 99 percent of all U.S. businesses.

Virtually all the GOP candidates favor a lower corporate tax rate, and while Herman Cain's call for a 9 percent rate is probably too low to gain widespread support, Romney's preferred rate of 25 percent rate is more plausible. ... If done right, corporate tax reform would encourage U.S. multinationals to bring more of their overseas profit back home and invest it here, while giving other firms an incentive to set up shop in the United States instead of heading for other countries.
http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/UploadedFiles/Roadmap2Final2.pdf
Ryan Road Map on business taxes said:
...The overwhelming majority of America’s competitors rely to some degree on consumption based taxes, which, according to World Trade Organization rules, can legally be rebated
on products leaving a country for export and imposed on products entering that country. The United States happens to be the only major industrialized country in the world thatdoes not use a similar tax system and therefore cannot engage in the same practice.Hence, when Milwaukee-based Harley-Davidson makes a motorcycle it plans to selloverseas (to Japan, for example), the motorcycle is taxed once in the U.S. before beingshipped, and once again when it reaches the Japanese border. In contrast, when a Hondamotorcycle is shipped from Japan to the U.S., the Japanese government lifts the tax onthe motorcycle before export, and it arrives in the U.S. essentially tax-free.
Cut spending, balance the budget, as deficit spending equates to future taxes which people anticipate and react to today. Some Paul cuts:
USN said:
Ron Paul's plan calls for eliminating 5 of the 15 cabinet agencies (Housing and Urban Development, Interior, Energy, Commerce, and Education) while slashing the budgets of most of the others. Such severe cuts are probably a non-starter in Washington, since those agencies all protect entrenched interests, including dozens of members of Congress who sit on oversight committees and direct spending toward favored constituencies. But Paul's general bent toward consolidating government has merit. At least new 5 Cabinet agencies have been created since 1945, and institutions that always grow and never shrink become bloated and inefficient by nature.

As a private-sector analogy, consider General Motors. For years, its leaders insisted that it needed all 8 of its divisions—an unwieldy and redundant structure that contributed to GM's descent into bankruptcy in 2009. In the aftermath, GM sold or killed half of its divisions—and is now nicely profitable [actually no it is not but the point is valid]...
Repeal and http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/Issues/Issue/?IssueID=8516" Obama Care. Employers fear additional health costs and/or compliance costs and consequently do not employ.http://thehill.com/video/house/190547-gop-calls-on-dems-to-back-house-passed-jobs-bills?page=3" and blocked or likely blocked by the Senate:
The Hill said:
...overwhelming bipartisan House passage Thursday of legislation to repeal the requirement that governments at all levels withhold 3 percent of payments to government contractors, a bill that has White House support.

The Hill said:
...The 15 bills include measures that mandate a major expansion of offshore drilling and faster permitting; block several recent or upcoming Environmental Protection Agency regulations; and thwart the Federal Communications Commission’s “net neutrality” rules, among other proposals.

List of bills passed by the House on jobs/economics:
"The Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act" (H.R.872)
"The Energy Tax Prevention Act" (H.S.910)
"The Clean Water Cooperative Federalism Act" (H.R.2018)
"Consumer Financial Protection & Soundness Improvement Act" (H.R.1315)
"Protecting Jobs from Government Interference Act" (H.R.2587)
"Transparency in Regulatory Analysis of Impacts on the Nation" (H.R.2401)
"Cement Sector Regulatory Relief Act" (H.R.2681)
"EPA Regulatory Relief Act" (H.S.2250)
"Coal Residuals Reuse and Management Act" (H.R.2273)
"Restarting American Offshore Leasing Now Act" (H.S.1230)
"Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act" (H.R.1229)
"Reversing President Obama's Offshore Moratorium Act (H.R.1231)
"The Jobs and Energy Permitting Act of 2011" (H.R.2021)
"North American-Made Energy Security Act" (H.R.1938)
"Disapproval of FCC's Net Neutrality Regulations" (H.J.Res.37)
"3% Withholding Tax Repeal" (H.R.674)

The market continues to sort out the mess.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2011/11/10/223680.htm

"The Charlotte, North Carolina-based lender faces many lawsuits over its disastrous 2008 acquisition of Countrywide, once the largest U.S. mortgage lender. Analysts now estimate that the $2.5 billion purchase has cost Bank of America more than $30 billion, including legal costs and writedowns."

Rather poor recovery in parts of the nation.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/states-with-the-most-homes-in-foreclosure.html
Many of the states with the highest foreclosure rates experienced the worst of the housing crisis. However, analysis by 24/7 reveals that the primary driver of higher foreclosure rates is a lengthy foreclosure process.

Nearly all of the states with the highest rates also have the longest foreclosure periods. The average foreclosure process for the nation is 140 days. The average foreclosure process for the eleven states with the highest foreclosure rates is 220. As a result, many homes foreclosed in 2011 in these states were actually at the end of a process that began more than a year ago. New York, one of the states with the worst foreclosure rates, has an average processing period of 445 days.

. . . .

One of my facebook friends posted the link to the letter; "To the Shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway Inc."

So I skimmed through it.

One thing caught my eye, which was contrary to what I'd read from a previous annual report from another company a while back, so I made the following post:

OmCheeto said:
GE should hire Buffet to write their annual report.

Buffet; "In total, our entire string of operating companies spent $8.2 billion for property, plant and equipment in 2011, smashing our previous record by more than $2 billion. About 95% of these outlays were made in the U.S., a fact that may surprise those who believe our country lacks investment opportunities. We welcome projects abroad, but expect the overwhelming majority of Berkshire’s future capital commitments to be in America. In 2012, these expenditures will again set a record."

Immelt; "At December 31, 2010, $94 billion of earnings have been indefinitely reinvested outside the United States. Most of these earnings have been reinvested in active non-U.S. business operations, and we do not intend to repatriate these earnings to fund U.S. operations."

Unless of course, I don't understand what all of this means.

Help me to understand this, financial wizards! Help me!

It's been 30 minutes now...

Am I missing something?

Am I really as naive as people claim I am?

OmCheeto said:
One of my facebook friends posted the link to the letter; "To the Shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway Inc."

So I skimmed through it.

One thing caught my eye, which was contrary to what I'd read from a previous annual report from another company a while back, so I made the following post:

It's been 30 minutes now...

Am I missing something?

Am I really as naive as people claim I am?

I'm not really sure what your confusion is, could you elaborate? Also could you post a link to Immelts comments, I feel that there should be more to what he said that would clarify his position a little better.
I can break it down fairly simply based on the above quotes. Bershire hathaway does a lot of their business through investments and securities. They feel there are plenty of businesses that they can invest in inside the US and turn a profit.
GE does many different things. They have taken some of their profit from inside the US and used it to invest in their business (or acquire businesses) outside the US. If they were to bring this profit back to the US (repatriate) they would have to pay taxes on all of it. A substantial portion of GE is in manufacturing, and the company probably feels that there are other places that it would be cheaper to do manufacturing in, then in the US.

Edit: the above post is mostly IMO. It is tough to say what exactly the reason(s) is that GE doesn't want to repatriate the money.

JonDE said:
I'm not really sure what your confusion is, could you elaborate?
The confusion arises from BH re-investing 95% of its funds in America, and GE investing none.
Also could you post a link to Immelts comments
http://www.ge.com/ar2010/pdf/GE_AR10.pdf, page 65.
, I feel that there should be more to what he said that would clarify his position a little better.
I can break it down fairly simply based on the above quotes. Bershire hathaway does a lot of their business through investments and securities. They feel there are plenty of businesses that they can invest in inside the US and turn a profit.
GE does many different things. They have taken some of their profit from inside the US and used it to invest in their business (or acquire businesses) outside the US. If they were to bring this profit back to the US (repatriate) they would have to pay taxes on all of it. A substantial portion of GE is in manufacturing, and the company probably feels that there are other places that it would be cheaper to do manufacturing in, then in the US.

Edit: the above post is mostly IMO. It is tough to say what exactly the reason(s) is that GE doesn't want to repatriate the money.

As I said, I've been accused of, and am apparently quite naive, so I'd really like some guidance on how to invest my five hundred million dollars over the next four years.

I read GE's annual report last year, and sold all of my stock in the company.

I read today's BH letter, and wanted to go find and hug Warren.

:blushing:

The US economy is still recovering:

Stocks Suffer Year's Worst Day on Jobs Report
http://news.yahoo.com/stocks-suffer-years-worst-day-jobs-report-201844063--abc-news-personal-finance.html

Apparently earlier job numbers (for March and April) were revised downward.
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/jobless-unsurprised-todays-bad-report
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/weekly-wrap-dismal-may-jobs-report

The DOW finished today at 12,118.57 a change of -274.88(-2.22%). The DOW opened at 12,221.19 on Jan 3, 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/02/b...ed-69000-jobs-in-may-jobless-rate-at-8-2.html

Last edited:
Dow is vacillating/oscillating these days, however

on a more positive note - Beyond the Tried-and-True: Generating Cash in Later Life
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/beyond-tried-true-generating-cash-040100367.html

I don't plan on retiring because there is too many interesting projects to do in the world. I just like working on challenging and interesting things.

Astronuc said:
Dow is vacillating/oscillating these days, however
My #1 stock oscillated up >50% today.
no 'however' necessary
:smile:
on a more positive note - Beyond the Tried-and-True: Generating Cash in Later Life
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/beyond-tried-true-generating-cash-040100367.html

I don't plan on retiring because there is too many interesting projects to do in the world. I just like working on challenging and interesting things.

Do you plan on starting your own business?

OmCheeto said:
Do you plan on starting your own business?
Possibly.

America's Bad Economy is Biggest Foreign Policy Threat
http://news.yahoo.com/americas-bad-economy-biggest-foreign-policy-threat-052513961--abc-news-politics.html

Back