The Incredible Shrinking Proton

• Thread starter sanman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proton
In summary, some researchers have found that the proton may be 4% smaller than previously thought based on recent measurements. This has caused confusion and speculation among scientists, with some proposing new physics theories and others questioning the accuracy of the measurements and calculations. The discrepancy between different measurement methods adds to the mystery surrounding the proton's size.
sanman
Some researchers seem to have measured the proton as being 4% smaller than previously thought:

http://www.nature.com/news/shrunken-proton-baffles-scientists-1.12289

What is the reason for this?

This is the second time the experiment has been conducted. If it is carried out yet again, and yields the same strange result, then what are we to make of it?

Is there any speculation on what is going on here?
Is it possible that muons have some previously unknown interaction with the proton? Otherwise, what else could it be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Systematic and random errors are hard to estimate. People always underestimate their error bars.

Some researchers seem to have measured the proton as being 4% smaller than previously thought:

The 1.082 femtometer size of the proton is a red herring. It doesn't really mean much. I mean, it means something, of course, but the real issue is what the hell is quark confinement, what are all these gluons doing in my soup?, and can someone please tell me what 2/3 charge means? I mean for god's sake. If that's not enough, two words...sea quarks.

DiracPool said:
The 1.082 femtometer size of the proton is a red herring. It doesn't really mean much. I mean, it means something, of course, but the real issue is what the hell is quark confinement, what are all these gluons doing in my soup?, and can someone please tell me what 2/3 charge means? I mean for god's sake. If that's not enough, two words...sea quarks.

It is still an issue however that different measurements seem to give different (charge) radii of the proton. The pessimist would say that there is something wrong with the measurement or error treatment, whereas the optimist would say that it might be due to new physics which affects muon-proton interactions differently. It might not have much to do with fractional charges or confinement but it still needs to be solved.

As the difference occurs with different measurement methods and the significance is high, I don't think it is a problem with the individual measurements itself. It might be new physics, but I think the easiest explanation is a problem in theoretic calculations relating the measured values to a proton radius.

What is "The Incredible Shrinking Proton"?

"The Incredible Shrinking Proton" is a theory that proposes that the size of the proton, a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom, may be changing over time.

What evidence supports "The Incredible Shrinking Proton" theory?

Scientists have observed a slight decrease in the size of the proton over the past few decades through experiments involving particle colliders. Additionally, the theory is supported by mathematical models and calculations based on the fundamental laws of physics.

How does "The Incredible Shrinking Proton" affect our understanding of the universe?

If the theory is proven to be true, it would challenge our current understanding of the fundamental constants of the universe and could potentially lead to revisions of established theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics.

What are the potential implications of "The Incredible Shrinking Proton"?

The theory could have significant implications for our understanding of the early universe and the formation of matter. It could also impact the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing, that rely on the stability of subatomic particles.

What further research is needed to confirm or refute "The Incredible Shrinking Proton" theory?

Further experiments and observations are needed to gather more data and evidence to support or disprove the theory. This could involve more precise measurements of the proton's size and experiments to test alternative explanations for the observed decrease in size.