Best solid state physics video course

In summary, the best solid state physics video course available online is this one, but you would be better off looking for a textbook.
Janeabc
Hi,

What is the best solid state physics video course available online.

So far the best one i have found is this one .. but it is just introduction to Solid State Physics

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'd really be better off looking for a textbook..

I've recently found these lectures. Although I haven't had the time to watch them, they appear to reflect the same material presented in a typical solid state physics course.

I can dig up some lecture notes and other resources if you're interested. Just PM me.

Does anybody have a solutions manual for Solid State Physics by Ashcroft and Merlin?

I Would suggest getting a textbook, I prefer Charles Kittel. It is an introduction but has more advanced material as well. If you are looking for more advanced material on lecture videos I don't know if you will find any. There are however many websites out there with materials on them for more advanced solid state physics. Here is an MIT course http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena/course/6/6.732/www/texts.html it contains materials from several texts that might be of use to you

It isn't video, but if you haven't seen it you must:

http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm

Supposedly put together by doctoral student preparing for orals who happened to be a fan.

PAllen said:
It isn't video, but if you haven't seen it you must:

http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm

Supposedly put together by doctoral student preparing for orals who happened to be a fan.
LOL it says Booble on the side. I've got to start using Booble more often.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is the study of the physical properties of solid materials, including their structure, electronic and magnetic properties, and optical behavior. It deals with the behavior of atoms and molecules in a solid state, and how they interact with each other to give rise to the macroscopic properties of the material.

2. Why is solid state physics important?

Solid state physics is important because it helps us understand and manipulate the properties of materials that are used in a wide range of technologies, such as semiconductors, computer chips, and electronic devices. It also has applications in fields such as energy generation and storage, nanotechnology, and materials science.

3. How is solid state physics different from traditional physics?

Solid state physics is a subfield of condensed matter physics, which focuses on the physical properties of matter in its solid or liquid state. It differs from traditional physics in that it deals specifically with the behavior of atoms and molecules in solid materials, rather than considering all forms of matter and energy.

4. What are the key concepts in solid state physics?

Some of the key concepts in solid state physics include crystal structure, electronic band structure, lattice vibrations, and magnetism. These concepts help us understand the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level, and how they contribute to the macroscopic properties of the material.

5. How can I learn solid state physics?

One way to learn solid state physics is through a video course that covers the fundamentals of the subject. These courses typically include lectures, demonstrations, and practice problems to help you understand the concepts and their applications. You can also supplement your learning with textbooks, online resources, and hands-on experiments to deepen your understanding of the subject.