Negative refraction, meta materials, no quest for chemists?

In summary, the conversation discussed the physics behind negative refraction and super lenses, with a focus on the use of meta-materials. The discovery of these materials was first predicted by Soviet physicists, but was later forgotten until Pendry showed their potential for perfect lenses. While there seems to be a disagreement between traditional physicists and electrotechnicians on the methods for achieving this effect, there is potential for chemists to contribute through the use of supramolecular chemistry or high optical activity crystals. The conversation also mentioned a recent article on the subject published in a Chemistry journal, with a suggestion to track references for more information.
DrDu
Science Advisor
Recently, I have read a lot about the physics behind negative refraction, super lenses, meta-materials and the like and I think I understood the theory to quite some detail.
Negative refraction was predicted first by sowiet physicists around Mandelshtam [1,2], and, a paper by Veselago [3,4], who predicted a plain sheet of these materials to act like a lens. This work was quite forgotten until Pendry [5] showed in the new century that these "Veselago lenses" may even act as perfect lenses which circumvent resolution criteria. Pendry also constructed some devices which act like a negative index material for microwaves. Since then numerous papers have appeared and there seems to be some war between physicists who treat this with methods from traditional optics, and electrotechnitians, who try to construct smaller and smaller microstructures to achieve the effect.
Although work from the 1960ies looked for this effect in ordinary crystals, like sodium uranyl acetate, in recent articles, it is taken for granted that negative refraction is an effect which requires "meta-materials", which have to be constructed with methods as used in the production of microchips and are very expensive.
As a chemist I wonder why no chemists take up the gauntlet? After all, there seem to be many methods to potentially synthesize such substances, like supramolecular chemistry.
Another possible route would be via crystals of high optical activity but being optical isotropic, like the uranyl compound mentioned at the beginning.
Or does anybody know of chemistry groups working on that field?

1. Agranovich, Vladimir M., and Yu N. Gartstein. "Spatial dispersion and negative refraction of light." Physics-Uspekhi 49.10 (2006): 1029.

2. Agranovich, Vladimir M., and Vitaly Ginzburg. Crystal optics with spatial dispersion, and excitons. Springer, 1984.

3. Veselago, Victor Georgievich. "THE ELECTRODYNAMICS OF SUBSTANCES WITH SIMULTANEOUSLY NEGATIVE VALUES OF IMG align= ABSMIDDLE alt= ϵ eps/IMG AND μ." Physics-Uspekhi 10.4 (1968): 509-514.

4. Veselago, Victor, et al. "Negative refractive index materials." Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience 3.2 (2006): 189-218.

5. Pendry, John Brian. "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens." Physical review letters 85.18 (2000): 3966.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nevertheless I think this is an approach which tries to mimic the systems studied in the microwave regions.
I would have expected chemists to come up with other candidates for highly chiral and isotropic substances.

As a chemist, I find the concept of negative refraction and meta-materials fascinating and full of potential for further exploration and development. While the current focus may be on physicists and electrotechnicians, I do not believe that there is no quest for chemists in this field. In fact, I believe that chemists have a crucial role to play in the development and synthesis of these materials.

As mentioned in the content, there are already methods in chemistry, such as supramolecular chemistry, which could potentially be used to synthesize these materials. Additionally, the use of crystals with high optical activity and isotropic properties presents another avenue for chemists to explore in creating negative refraction materials.

Furthermore, as a chemist, I am aware of the importance of understanding the chemical composition and structure of materials in order to fully comprehend their properties and potential applications. Therefore, chemists can contribute to the understanding and development of negative refraction materials by studying the fundamental chemical principles behind their behavior and properties.

In summary, I believe that chemists have a crucial role to play in the quest for negative refraction and meta-materials. Their expertise in synthesis and understanding of chemical principles can greatly contribute to the development and advancement of this field.

1. What is negative refraction?

Negative refraction is a phenomenon where light or other electromagnetic waves are bent in the opposite direction when passing through a material, compared to how they would normally bend. This is in contrast to positive refraction, where the waves are bent in the same direction as they would normally bend.

2. What are meta materials?

Meta materials are artificially engineered materials that have unique properties not found in natural materials. They are created by arranging tiny structures at a scale smaller than the wavelength of the waves they interact with. These materials have properties such as negative refraction, superlensing, and cloaking, which have potential applications in various fields including optics, telecommunications, and medicine.

3. How are meta materials created?

Meta materials are created using techniques such as lithography, which involves etching patterns into a substrate material, or by using 3D printing technology. The key is to manipulate the structure and composition of the material at a microscopic level to achieve the desired properties.

4. What is the significance of negative refraction and meta materials?

Negative refraction and meta materials have the potential to revolutionize many fields, including telecommunications, imaging, and energy harvesting. They could lead to the development of smaller, faster, and more efficient devices, as well as new technologies that were previously thought to be impossible.

5. Is there a "quest" for chemists in the field of negative refraction and meta materials?

Yes, there is an ongoing quest for chemists to discover and develop new materials with unique properties that can be used in the creation of meta materials. Chemists play a crucial role in the design, synthesis, and characterization of these materials, which are essential for pushing the boundaries of what is possible with negative refraction and meta materials.