Retina/Cornea Scanners: Fact or Fiction?

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
In summary, retinal scanners can be used to identify someone by reading their blood vessels. They are accurate even if the blood vessels have been damaged.
UrbanXrisis
are there retina/cornea scanners out there? or is that just a fabrication of movies? If there were these types of eye-scanners, what do theses scanners scan for to distingush one eye from the other?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the corneal ones, but the retinal scanners read the pattern of blood vessels in the back of the eye. Like fingerprints, no two people's are the same. If 'corneal' ones exist, I suspect that it's a misnomer. They probably read the specific colour pattern of the iris. I don't really know that much about them, though.

is there a link as to where i can find more information on retinal scanners? I've been looking online and can't find much about it

I don't really do much net-surfing, so I don't know of any sites offhand. The field that covers such devices is called 'biometrics'. I'd suggest that as a Googling jump-off point.

Don't think there are cornea scanners.
That's the clear outer layer of the eye.
However, iris scanners seem to be an up and coming thing.
In addition to Dangers suggestion you could also try <iris scanner> in Google, it brings up a number of hits.

Danger said:
I'm not sure about the corneal ones, but the retinal scanners read the pattern of blood vessels in the back of the eye. Like fingerprints, no two people's are the same. If 'corneal' ones exist, I suspect that it's a misnomer. They probably read the specific colour pattern of the iris. I don't really know that much about them, though.
Isn't it possible for these blood vessels to change over time? Blood vessels can pop, can't they?

dav2008 said:
Isn't it possible for these blood vessels to change over time? Blood vessels can pop, can't they?
True, but I suspect that they still maintain position, regardless of whether or not they're damaged. Someone from Biology should deal with that one. Also, multi-point matching is probably used, the same as with fingerprints. A cut, blister, wart, etc. doesn't prevent a match based upon the undamaged part of the finger. As far as that goes, though, I haven't seen anything about retinal scanners lately. Maybe they were phased out for just that reason.
I just happened to notice that there's an article about this on 'How Stuff Works'. I haven't read it, but it should be helpful. Most of their things are very well done.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/biometrics.htm

1. What exactly is a retina/cornea scanner?

A retina/cornea scanner is a type of biometric technology that uses infrared light to scan and capture images of the retina or cornea of the eye. The unique patterns and characteristics of these parts of the eye are then used to create a digital map, which can be used for identification purposes.

2. Are retina/cornea scanners accurate?

Retina/cornea scanners have a high level of accuracy, with error rates as low as 1 in 1.5 million. This is because the patterns of the retina and cornea are highly unique and do not change over time, making them a reliable form of biometric identification.

3. How are retina/cornea scanners different from fingerprint scanners?

Retina/cornea scanners are different from fingerprint scanners in that they use different parts of the body for identification. Fingerprint scanners use the patterns on the fingertips, while retina/cornea scanners use the patterns in the eye. Additionally, retina/cornea scanners tend to have a higher level of accuracy compared to fingerprint scanners.

4. Are retina/cornea scanners safe for use?

Retina/cornea scanners are considered safe for use as they do not emit harmful radiation. The infrared light used in these scanners is non-invasive and does not cause any damage to the eyes. However, individuals with certain eye conditions, such as cataracts, may not be able to use these scanners.

5. Are retina/cornea scanners currently being used in real-world applications?

Yes, retina/cornea scanners are currently being used in various real-world applications, such as airport security, border control, and high-security facilities. They are also being used in mobile devices, such as smartphones, for biometric authentication. However, their use is not as widespread as other forms of biometric technology, such as fingerprint or facial recognition.