Best Tool to Cut a Large Bar of Soap in Half

• Thread starter larkspur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Soap
In summary, a miter saw or drill would be the best way to cut a very large bar of soap in half. Putting it in a vise would help keep it from slipping away, and heating it will make it easier to cut.
larkspur
What would be the best way to cut a very large bar of soap in half? I have a bar of triple milled soap that is 11cm long, 7cm wide and 4cm thick. My hands too small to hold on to this bar in the shower.

I have a miter box and the saw that came with it or a hack saw. Which one would be best to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
A drill, a 1/4 stick of dyn... er, nevermind.

I suspect that just a serrated bread knife would do nicely. Heating it will let it melt a bit rather than just sawing through. Fewer crumbs that way. Even one of those cheese slicer wires might work.

I'll bet you could break it in half.

Well, I'll bet someone who doesn't have tiny hands could anyway...

Caution, slippery when wet.

If you are going to cut it with a knife, put it in a vise so that it does not slip away as you are applying pressure. You might slice your hand real nice.

Well, since the application doesn't really require cutting it in half, just something smaller you can grab with your hands in the shower...a big hammer should do the trick. :devil:

Where on Earth did you acquire such a ginormous bar of soap in the first place? Did someone really think this was practical?

Moonbear said:
Well, since the application doesn't really require cutting it in half, just something smaller you can grab with your hands in the shower...a big hammer should do the trick. :devil:

Where on Earth did you acquire such a ginormous bar of soap in the first place? Did someone really think this was practical?

My Mom gave it to me for Christmas because it came in a cute yellow metal box...Reminds me of a lunch box I had in first grade.:smile:

The mitre saw should work nicely. And please, cut it dry.

I decided to try Danger's idea and heated the bar in the microwave until it began to blow bubbles out the ends(41 seconds). Then I took my Ginsu type knife and cut it in half. After it was heated it cut like butter- no crumbs either.
Thanks for the input everyone!

Gotta love a Ginsu!

I used to carve animals out of soap bars when I was little. Had a fairly dull knife that was great for whittling the soft soap.

I also used to carve blocks of balsa wood. It was great for carving replicas of viking ships and old sailing ships.

You all did that, right? :uhh:

Evo said:
I used to carve animals out of soap bars when I was little.
We had to do that for art class when I was little. I don't remember what I wanted to carve, but I know it never looked anything like it. :uhh:

Evo said:
I used to carve animals out of soap bars when I was little. Had a fairly dull knife that was great for whittling the soft soap.

I also used to carve blocks of balsa wood. It was great for carving replicas of viking ships and old sailing ships.

That's what I thought this thread was about. Ivory soap was great for carving.

I also made little insects out of pieces of pine and toothpicks and carved a chess set out of pine and walnut.

larkspur said:
I decided to try Danger's idea and heated the bar in the microwave until it began to blow bubbles out the ends(41 seconds).
Guess that wasn't an air-blown soap (like Ivory). With one of those, all you'd have after 40 seconds in the microwave is an ovenfull of foam.

Cheeeeeeeeeeese wire!

Gokul43201 said:
Guess that wasn't an air-blown soap (like Ivory). With one of those, all you'd have after 40 seconds in the microwave is an ovenfull of foam.
Self-cleaning cycle, if you will.

dav2008 said:
Self-cleaning cycle, if you will.
:rofl: Hey, my microwave needs that! :rofl:

Evo said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gokul43201 said:

Nope, it was "triple milled" so there is very low air and water content.

1. How do I safely cut a large bar of soap in half?

To safely cut a large bar of soap in half, you will need a sharp knife and a cutting board. Place the cutting board on a flat, stable surface and hold the soap firmly with one hand. Use the knife to gently saw through the soap, applying even pressure. Make sure to keep your fingers away from the blade to avoid injury.

2. What is the best type of knife to use for cutting soap?

The best type of knife to use for cutting soap is a sharp, non-serrated knife. A chef's knife or a utility knife would work well for this task. Avoid using a serrated knife as it may cause the soap to crumble or break unevenly.

3. Can I use a soap cutter or wire cutter to cut a large bar of soap?

Yes, you can use a soap cutter or wire cutter to cut a large bar of soap. These tools are specifically designed for cutting soap and may provide a more precise and even cut. However, make sure to use caution and follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe use.

4. How can I prevent the soap from crumbling when cutting it?

To prevent the soap from crumbling when cutting it, make sure to use a sharp knife and apply even pressure while cutting. You can also try freezing the soap for a few hours before cutting it, as this can make it easier to cut without crumbling.

5. Is there a specific technique for cutting a large bar of soap in half?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help you cut a large bar of soap in half more easily. One technique is to score the soap first by lightly running the knife along the desired cutting line. This will create a groove for the knife to follow and can help prevent the soap from crumbling. Another technique is to use a sawing motion with the knife instead of applying too much pressure at once.