What are the best math classes for physics majors?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Romperstomper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor Physics
In summary, when choosing math classes for a physics major, it is recommended to take courses in vector field theory, partial differential equations, numerical analysis, differential geometry, and linear algebra. Complex analysis and more differential equations are also useful. It is important to also consider the applicability of these classes to physics and one's personal interests. Additionally, taking a complex variables course may be beneficial.
Romperstomper
I'm majoring in physics and getting a math minor. I have to take 3 upper division math classes to get the minor. I'm wondering which math classes I should look at taking that would be good for physics majors.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think classes in vector field theory(think Stoke's theorem), partial differential equations, and numerical analysis/numerical methods would rank high under "applicability to physics" in general.

Alternatively, differential geometry may be appropriate as well (in the context of general relativity) and also upper-level linear algebra (in the context of quantum mechanics)

complex analysis if you don't cover it in a physics class. Otherwise, the best is probably differential equations (both ODE and PDE)

if you haven't taken linear algebra, take that. preferably a proof-based one.

can't go wrong with complex variables and more differential equations, either.

I would take linear algebra, ordinary DEs, and partial DEs.

PDEs, Dynamical Systems, Numericals

I assume you already have to take calculus (including multivariable) and ordinary differential equations as part of your physics major requirements. In that case I would pick linear algebra, complex variables, and either numerical methods (if you're into programming), partial differential equations, or group theory (if you're inclined towards theoretical physics).

When I started grad school, I soon found out that I really wished I had been able to take a complex variables course as an undergraduate. My small college didn't offer one. But my first semester included an E&M course taught by an instructor who was really into conformal mapping for solving electrostatics problems. And in other courses I encountered integration in the complex plane. I ended up taking complex variables as one of my two required "cognate courses" (courses outside the physics department).

jtbell said:
I assume you already have to take calculus (including multivariable) and ordinary differential equations as part of your physics major requirements. In that case I would pick linear algebra, complex variables, and either numerical methods (if you're into programming), partial differential equations, or group theory (if you're inclined towards theoretical physics).

When I started grad school, I soon found out that I really wished I had been able to take a complex variables course as an undergraduate. My small college didn't offer one. But my first semester included an E&M course taught by an instructor who was really into conformal mapping for solving electrostatics problems. And in other courses I encountered integration in the complex plane. I ended up taking complex variables as one of my two required "cognate courses" (courses outside the physics department).

i can honestly say that complex variables was my favorite math class I've ever taken.

differential geometry, if your so inclined to get into general relativity

1. What specific math classes should I take as a physics major?

As a physics major, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics. Some of the most essential math classes for physics majors include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These classes will provide you with the necessary tools to understand and solve complex physics problems.

2. Is it necessary to take advanced math courses as a physics major?

While it is not necessary to take advanced math courses, it is highly recommended. Advanced math courses, such as multivariable calculus, complex analysis, and abstract algebra, will further enhance your problem-solving skills and give you a deeper understanding of the mathematical principles underlying physics concepts.

3. Can I take math courses outside of my physics major requirements?

Yes, you can take additional math courses outside of your required curriculum. In fact, many physics majors choose to take more math courses to supplement their understanding of physics. However, it is important to consult with your advisor before enrolling in any additional courses to ensure they align with your academic goals.

4. How will math classes benefit me as a physics major?

Math classes are essential for physics majors as they provide the necessary tools to apply mathematical concepts to real-world physics problems. These classes will help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are crucial for success in the field of physics.

5. Are there any math classes that are not relevant for physics majors?

Most math classes are relevant for physics majors, but some may not be as directly applicable as others. For example, statistics and probability may not be as relevant for all areas of physics, but they are still useful skills to have. It is important to discuss with your advisor which math courses are most beneficial for your specific interests and career goals.