Which Way Will the Spool Roll? Q&A on Newton's Law

In summary, according to Newton's law, the spool will roll to the right. However, there is also a moment arm acting on the spool, which causes the spool to rotate to the opposite direction.
ksle82
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7470&stc=1&d=1155157461
spool.JPG
Q: if the thread(see attach) is pulled in the direction shown, which way will the spool roll?

i know that the spool will roll to the right according to Newton's law (for every action there's an equal and opposite direction). but there's also a moment apply to the spool (the moment arm is from center to the bottom of the thread). could you say that there's is an equal and opposite moment(with moment arm from center to the top of the thread)? What law states this?
-what else is this question trying to get you to understand, if any?

Attachments

• spool.JPG
    spool.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 706
Physics news on Phys.org
ksle82 said:
i know that the spool will roll to the right according to Newton's law (for every action there's an equal and opposite direction).
Why do you think Newton's 3rd law is relevant here? All that tells you is that the force that the thread exerts on the spool is equal and opposite to the force that the spool exerts on the thread. So what?

If you want to understand how the spool moves, first identify all the forces acting on the spool. Then apply Newton's 2nd law to both translational and rotational motion and see what you can deduce.

Sorry Doc Al for my poor understanding, but I don't quite understand what you said. The force applied on the roll will produce a torque (which cause rotational motion to the right) and traslational motion to the left. But i don't know how to deduce from Newton's Second Law that the roll must rotate to the right instead of left.

Harmony said:
Sorry Doc Al for my poor understanding, but I don't quite understand what you said. The force applied on the roll will produce a torque (which cause rotational motion to the right) and traslational motion to the left. But i don't know how to deduce from Newton's Second Law that the roll must rotate to the right instead of left.
thank you for clarifying for my bad word choices(moment and moment arm). Torque is the correct term for it.

I have to agree with Harmony. I don't see how 2nd law fits into this. According to Newton's 2nd Law:
The rate of change of the momentum of a body is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and the direction of the change in momentum takes place in the direction of the net force.
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_law

As Doc Al says, you need to consider only the forces acting on the spool.

ksle82 said:
I have to agree with Harmony. I don't see how 2nd law fits into this.
If ever you want to determine how forces affect the motion of a body, Newton's 2nd law is key.

Start by identifying the forces acting on the spool. Hint: There are two horizontal forces acting on it. In additional to their translational effects, these force also exert torques on the spool.

Once you have properly identified the forces (please draw yourself a clear diagram indicating where the forces act), then set up Newton's 2nd law for (1) Translation and (2) Rotation. You'll get two equations. Solve for the resulting acceleration.

(Another hint: Assume that the spool rolls without slipping.)

1. How does Newton's Law apply to the spool's rolling direction?

According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object in motion will continue to move in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a spool rolling, the force of gravity and the shape of the spool will determine its direction of motion.

2. Can the spool roll in any direction?

Yes, the spool can roll in any direction as long as there is a force acting on it. However, the direction of the force and the shape of the spool will influence its direction of motion according to Newton's First Law.

3. How does the shape of the spool affect its rolling direction?

The shape of the spool determines its center of mass, which is the point where all of its mass is concentrated. The direction of the force acting on the spool will determine the direction of its center of mass, thus affecting its rolling direction.

4. Why does the spool roll in a straight line?

The spool will roll in a straight line if the force acting on it is applied at its center of mass. This is because the center of mass is the point where all of the spool's mass is concentrated, making it the most stable point for rolling motion.

5. Can the spool's rolling direction be changed?

Yes, the spool's rolling direction can be changed by applying an external force at a different point on the spool that is not its center of mass. This will cause the center of mass to shift, altering the spool's direction of motion according to Newton's First Law.