Gravitation Problem (stuck on Algebra )

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance from Earth to a space probe along a line toward the Sun where the gravitational pull from the Sun and Earth are balanced. The equations used are \frac {GMem}{r1^2} = \frac {GMsm}{r2^2} and d = r_1 + r_2, with the variables Me representing the mass of Earth, Ms representing the mass of the Sun, m representing the mass of the space probe, r1 representing the distance from the center of Earth to the probe, and r2 representing the distance from the center of the Sun to the probe. The solution involves solving for r1 using algebraic equations.
NanoTech
Gravitation Problem (stuck on Algebra!)

We just started Gravitation in my Physics class. Here is the problem:
How far from Earth must a space probe be along a line toward the Sun so that the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe balances Earth's pull?

Sorry I'm really bad with the Latex programming and it will take forever to do so here are my calculations. The first part is naming the variables.
Me = Mass of Earth
Ms = Mass of Sun
m = mass of space probe
r1 = dist. from center of Earth to probe
r2 = dist. from center of the Sun to probe

[tex] \frac {GMem}{r1^2} [/tex] = [tex] \frac {GMsm}{r2^2} [/tex]

First I substituted r2 = d-r1 , where d is the distance from center of Earth to sun.

[tex] \frac {Me}{r1^2} [/tex] = [tex] \frac {Ms}{(d-r1)^2} [/tex]

Ok, here's the Algebra part that I can't figure out...

Sorry , I have no idea how to write this in Latex!

r1 = d squareroot of Me / squareroot of Ms + Me

I don't know how to get to that, what is the Algebra. Or a simple analogy for me to understand it? Thanks. ~David Wilkerson

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You almost finished it yourself... :smile:

[tex]G\frac{M_em}{r_1^2} = G\frac{M_sm}{r_2^2}[/tex]
Becomes:
[tex]\frac{M_e}{r_1^2} = \frac{M_s}{r_2^2}[/tex]

The other equation is:
[tex]d = r_1 + r_2[/tex]
As you said. Two equations, two unknowns, you can solve it. :smile:

[tex]\frac{M_e}{r_1^2} = \frac{M_s}{(d - r_1)^2}[/tex]

Hi David,

Don't worry, I understand that algebra can be tricky sometimes. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, we need to understand what the problem is asking us to do. We need to find the distance, r1, from the center of Earth to the space probe, where the gravitational pull of the Sun and Earth on the probe is balanced. In other words, the probe is not being pulled more towards one object than the other.

Next, we need to set up an equation that represents this situation. In physics, we use the law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be written as:

F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2

Where F is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

Now, let's apply this equation to our problem. We have three objects: the Sun (m1 = Ms), the Earth (m2 = Me), and the space probe (m3 = m). We also know that the force of gravity between the Sun and the probe is equal to the force of gravity between the Earth and the probe. Therefore, we can set up an equation like this:

G * (Ms * m) / r1^2 = G * (Me * m) / (d - r1)^2

Where r1 is the distance between Earth and the probe, and d is the distance between the Sun and the probe.

Next, we can simplify this equation by dividing both sides by G and multiplying both sides by (d - r1)^2. This will cancel out the G and we will be left with:

(Ms * m) / r1^2 = (Me * m) / (d - r1)^2

Now, we can cross multiply and solve for r1:

(Ms * m) * (d - r1)^2 = (Me * m) * r1^2

Expand the brackets:

(d^2 - 2dr1 + r1^2) * Ms * m = Me * m * r1^2

Multiply out the terms:

d^2Ms + (-2dr1 * Ms) + (r1^

1. What is Gravitation Problem?

Gravitation Problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the force of gravitational attraction between two objects. This can be applied to a variety of situations, such as calculating the force between planets, stars, or even everyday objects like apples and the Earth.

2. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of gravitational attraction, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. How do I solve a Gravitation Problem?

To solve a Gravitation Problem, you will need to plug in the given values into the formula for gravitational force and solve for the unknown variable. Make sure to pay attention to units and use the correct value for the universal gravitational constant, which is 6.67 x 10^-11 N * m^2 / kg^2.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving Gravitation Problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Gravitation Problems include using the wrong formula, forgetting to convert units, or using the incorrect value for the universal gravitational constant. It is important to double check your work and make sure all values are entered correctly.

5. How can I use algebra to solve Gravitation Problems?

Algebra is essential for solving Gravitation Problems because it allows you to rearrange the formula for gravitational force to solve for different variables. This can be helpful when you are given certain values and need to find an unknown value in the equation.