What is the Applied Force Needed to Accelerate a Curling Stone on Ice?

In summary, the applied force on the curling stone is 49N [forward]. This is calculated by using Newton's Second Law, taking into account the mass of the stone, its acceleration, and the coefficient of kinetic friction of the ice on the stone.
vince_lu
a curler exerts a force forward on a 19kg curling stone and gives it an acceleration of 1.8m/s(squared) [forward]. the coefficient of kinetic friction of the ice on the curling stone is 0.080 [back]. calculate the value of the applied force. thank you in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? You must show some work in order to get help. What's Newton's second law?

Newton's Second law is an object will accelerate only wher there is a net external force acting

So far I figured out:
m=19kg
a(acceleration)=1.8m/s^2[forward]
(u)coefficient of Fk=0.080[back]
F(applied force)=?

Idon't know how to setup the equation

Do you know the equation for the frictional force?

No, I am not sure I think its F=Fnet-Ff

There are two forces acting on the stone. One is the applied force and one is the frictional force. The sum of the two is the net force. Remember this [tex]\Sigma F=ma[/tex]

The frictional force is given by [tex]f = \mu mg [/tex]

See if you can try it now.

Maybe this can help you out too

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/fric.html#fri

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm getting it better now.
Would it then be: 0.080[back] x 19kg x 9.8 + (19kg)(1.8m/s^2)
F=49N[forward]

Yes, that's right!

YYYesssss THANKYOU

What is applied force in physics?

Applied force is a type of force that is applied to an object by an external source. It can cause the object to accelerate or change direction.

How is applied force different from other types of forces?

Applied force is different from other types of forces because it is a result of an external agent acting on an object, rather than a force that exists within the object itself.

How is applied force calculated?

Applied force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration. This can be represented by the equation F = ma, where F is the applied force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What are some examples of applied force in everyday life?

Some examples of applied force in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, kicking a ball, and pushing a door open.

How does applied force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Applied force is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that applied force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object.