Another friction and inclined plane question.

In summary, friction force is a force that opposes motion and is caused by interactions between surfaces. The angle of an inclined plane affects friction by changing the normal force and the coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the friction force by the normal force. The relationship between friction force and weight on an inclined plane depends on the angle, and understanding friction on an inclined plane has practical applications in designing ramps and slopes, calculating forces, and determining the amount of force needed to hold objects in place.
anonymous820

Homework Statement

you push a 325 Newton trunk up a 20 degree inclined plane at a constant velocity by exerting a 211 Newton force parallel to the planes surface.

a. what is the component of the trunks weight?
b. what is the sum of all the forces parallel to the planes surface?
c. what are the magnitude and direction of the friction force?
d. what is the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

----

The Attempt at a Solution

a. sin 20 = Fx/325 --> Fx = 111.2 N?
b. not quite sure because i don't know if the Fx should be positive or negative.
c. 211 N for magnitude? same for Ff? due to equilibrium?
d. Ff= 111.2, Fn= 305.5, coefficient of friction= ?
--> equation --> Ff= coeff*Fn
--> 111.2= coeff*305.5
--> coeff= 0.36? i think.

physics2.jpg

im not exactly sure what the 211 force should be labeled as (the stuff in red). i thought i was supposed to be the applied force, but i don't think that's right.

key:
Fn= normal force
Ff= frictional force
Fg= force due to gravity
Fx= x component
Fy= y component

Physics news on Phys.org
anonymous820 said:

Homework Statement

you push a 325 Newton trunk up a 20 degree inclined plane at a constant velocity by exerting a 211 Newton force parallel to the planes surface.

a. what is the component of the trunks weight?
b. what is the sum of all the forces parallel to the planes surface?
c. what are the magnitude and direction of the friction force?
d. what is the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

----

The Attempt at a Solution

a. sin 20 = Fx/325 --> Fx = 111.2 N?
If the questions says "what is the component of the trunk's weight acting along the plane" then yes, this is correct. As it stands, the question is ambiguous.
b. not quite sure because i don't know if the Fx should be positive or negative.
The trunk is moving at constant speed.. what does that tell you about the net force acting on the trunk? FYI, Fx should have the opposite sign to the applied force, and the same sign as the frictional force, whatever you choose the sign conventions to be.
c. 211 N for magnitude? same for Ff? due to equilibrium?
No. The applied force is balanced by the friction and the component of the weight acting parallel to the plane.

BTW, thanks for setting out your problem clearly! :smile:

cristo said:
The trunk is moving at constant speed.. what does that tell you about the net force acting on the trunk? FYI, Fx should have the opposite sign to the applied force, and the same sign as the frictional force, whatever you choose the sign conventions to be.

No. The applied force is balanced by the friction and the component of the weight acting parallel to the plane.

BTW, thanks for setting out your problem clearly! :smile:

it tells you that the normal force and the Fy are equal to 325 N?

then, the applied force is negative and Ff and Fx are negative? so then, Fx and the applied are equal? or Fx and Ff are equal? or Fx and Ff are equal to the applied? lol.

..no problem. i figured it was a much better set up than before. that's only because the other one was my first post or whatever and i learned from that one. =)

oh yeah. and is d. right? i found the coefficient the same way i found the cofficient in the other problem about the skiing. except this time, they actually gave me real numbers i could work with.

anonymous820 said:
it tells you that the normal force and the Fy are equal to 325 N?
That's correct, but the fact that the trunk is moving at a constant velocity tells us that there is no net force acting on the trunk.
then, the applied force is negative and Ff and Fx are negative? so then, Fx and the applied are equal? or Fx and Ff are equal? or Fx and Ff are equal to the applied? lol.
Well, you've given every possible answer there, so one must be correct! Look at your diagram. I'll take positive as going up the ramp, so then the applied force is positive, and Fx and Ff are negative. So, Fa-Fx-Ff=0 => Fa=Fx+Ff.

..no problem. i figured it was a much better set up than before. that's only because the other one was my first post or whatever and i learned from that one. =)
[/quote]
Exactly! I don't think anyone minds a sloppy first post, but I think I speak for all homework helpers here; we appreciate when someone learns and posts a clear second question!

anonymous820 said:
oh yeah. and is d. right? i found the coefficient the same way i found the cofficient in the other problem about the skiing. except this time, they actually gave me real numbers i could work with.

I left d because your answer to c isn't correct, yet.

cristo said:
Well, you've given every possible answer there, so one must be correct! Look at your diagram. I'll take positive as going up the ramp, so then the applied force is positive, and Fx and Ff are negative. So, Fa-Fx-Ff=0 => Fa=Fx+Ff.

I left d because your answer to c isn't correct, yet.

there was no point in b. that was the dumbest question possible. I am so slow. its in equilibrium, so therefore, the sum of all the forces is 0, duh. wow.

lol. yet. but i will be soon =)

i don't quite understand what I am doing for question c. 211 N?

Last edited:
c says "what is the magnitude and direction of the frictional force?" You have this: Fa=Fx+Ff => Ff=Fa-Fx, where Fa is the applied force. You know Fa (211) and Fx (111.2), so plug into this equation. This gives the magnitude of the frictional force. Then its direction is, clearly, down the slope.

After you've done this, you can use Ff=(coefficient of friction)Fn to find the coefficient of friction.

oh okay. so i pretty much already found c from question b. alright. thank you.

anonymous820 said:
oh okay. so i pretty much already found c from question b. alright. thank you.
You're welcome.

1. What is a friction force?

A friction force is a force that opposes the motion of an object on a surface. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between the surfaces of the object and the surface it is on.

2. How does the angle of an inclined plane affect friction?

The angle of an inclined plane affects friction by increasing or decreasing the normal force on the object, which in turn affects the friction force. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in friction force.

3. How can the coefficient of friction be determined?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the magnitude of the friction force by the magnitude of the normal force. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object on a surface.

4. What is the relationship between friction force and weight on an inclined plane?

The relationship between friction force and weight on an inclined plane depends on the angle of the plane. As the angle increases, the weight component along the incline increases, causing the normal force to decrease and the friction force to decrease as well.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding friction on an inclined plane?

Understanding friction on an inclined plane is important in many real-world situations, such as designing ramps and slopes for accessibility, calculating the forces required for objects to move up or down a slope, and determining the amount of force needed to hold an object in place on a slope.