Accelerating car and the person driving it

In summary, the top part of the body goes back when the car accelerates due to the time-delay in the net force acting on the top half of the body. This can be understood by viewing the process from an inertial frame (outside the car) in slow motion, where the bottom half of the body will move forward with the car while the top half will stay still. From a non-inertial frame (in the car), the top half of the body will appear to move backwards as the car accelerates. This concept can also be applied to a pendulum attached to a ceiling in an accelerating train, where the angle of the pendulum will remain the same regardless of the frame of observation due to opposite acceleration forces acting on
vijay_singh
Hi

Can anybody explain why the top part of the body goes back when the car accelerates? Can you please explain in terms of Newton's laws.

Physics news on Phys.org
The top part of the body does not go back: the bottom part goes forward [faster] because it is attached to an accelerating car.

Last edited:
vijay_singh said:
Hi

Can anybody explain why the top part of the body goes back when the car accelerates? Can you please explain in terms of Newton's laws.

Just to add a bit to Russ's (correct) answer.
Imagine watching the process from the ground outside the car (an inertial frame) in slow motion. You would see the car start to accelerate and move forwards. The bottom half of the body would do likewise, accelerated by forces from the car seat, which is (obviously) attached to the car. But there is a time-delay until a net force starts to act on the top half of the body (which we can think of as loosely coupled to the bottom half) and so it cannot immediately join in with the forward motion. From the ground it therefore stays still, but form the point of view of the driver (a non-inertial frame) it moves backwards.

tonyh said:
Just to add a bit to Russ's (correct) answer.
Imagine watching the process from the ground outside the car (an inertial frame) in slow motion. You would see the car start to accelerate and move forwards. The bottom half of the body would do likewise, accelerated by forces from the car seat, which is (obviously) attached to the car. But there is a time-delay until a net force starts to act on the top half of the body (which we can think of as loosely coupled to the bottom half) and so it cannot immediately join in with the forward motion. From the ground it therefore stays still, but form the point of view of the driver (a non-inertial frame) it moves backwards.

Thanks for detailing it, infact this is exactly the way I wanted to understand. I keep feeling that I have started understanding about motion in accelerated frames, but I come across a scenario which I am not able to explain with the way I understand the laws.

Coming back to your explanation and particularly last sentence. Are you sure that viewed from ground (inertial frame) the head stays still but from non-inertial frame it moves backward?

vijay_singh said:
Coming back to your explanation and particularly last sentence. Are you sure that viewed from ground (inertial frame) the head stays still but from non-inertial frame it moves backward?
That is my understanding. Perhaps one of the mentors could comment?

vijay_singh said:
Thanks for detailing it, infact this is exactly the way I wanted to understand. I keep feeling that I have started understanding about motion in accelerated frames, but I come across a scenario which I am not able to explain with the way I understand the laws.

Imagine from the car's frame of reference: The driver is sitting normally, and then throws his head backwards to the seat.

From an inertial frame, the head wouldn't quite be still, as it's attached to the car through the body, but it would move much less than the accelerating car.

Thanks guys, i understood it now.

How would we explain following in similar way:

A accelerating train with a pendulum attached to its ceiling. Do we see the same angle it makes from non-inertial frame (train) and inertial frame (ground) and why?

vijay_singh said:
A accelerating train with a pendulum attached to its ceiling. Do we see the same angle it makes from non-inertial frame (train) and inertial frame (ground) and why?
The angle will appear the same regardless of the frame of observation (ignoring near light speed affects).

vijay_singh said:
A accelerating train with a pendulum attached to it's ceiling. Do we see the same angle it makes from non-inertial frame (train) and inertial frame (ground) and why?

Because from the point of view of the outside, the train+attachment point is accelerating, but the pendulum is still, but from the train's point of view, the train+attachment point is still, but the pendulum is accelerating. However, both will agree that the acceleration is the same, but with opposite signs. (so the train is moving forward for outside perspective, but the pendulum is accelerating backwards for the train perspective.)

grettz...

Jeff Reid said:
The angle will appear the same regardless of the frame of observation (ignoring near light speed affects).

i think the acceleration will affect the way the pendulum swings. so i don't see how the angle remains unaffected. i m pretty bad at math, so can't work it out. but it doesn't seem right when i think about it.

jablonsky27 said:
i think the acceleration will affect the way the pendulum swings. so i don't see how the angle remains unaffected. i m pretty bad at math, so can't work it out. but it doesn't seem right when i think about it.

He didn't said the angle will remain unaffected due to acceleration, he said regardless the frame of observation. Different frames will see different accelerations,yes, because the train frame is a non-inertial frame, so it will have fiction forces on it force diagram. However, that fiction force is in magnitude equal to the force observed by a outside frame acting on the train.

Take some time to think about this, imagine and draw 2 force diagrams, one in the train, other outside, and verify for yourself. Don't forget whoever, that the train is non-inertia framel!? dv/dt≠0

(of course, like Jeff Reid right said, this is true assuming v<<c, not considering speed light effects)

grettz

yeah, my mistake. should have read jeff_reid's post more carefully.

1. How does an accelerating car move?

An accelerating car moves by using a combination of the engine's power and the transmission system to transfer power to the wheels. The wheels then rotate, creating friction with the road and propelling the car forward.

2. What forces are involved in accelerating a car?

The two main forces involved in accelerating a car are the engine's power and the force of friction between the wheels and the road. The engine provides the power to move the car while the friction between the wheels and the road allows for the transfer of this power to the car's movement.

3. How does acceleration affect the driver?

Acceleration can have a physical effect on the driver due to the change in speed and direction of the car. This can cause the driver's body to experience forces such as inertia, g-forces, and centrifugal forces. These forces can be felt as a push or pull on the driver's body.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a car?

The acceleration of a car can be affected by various factors, including the car's weight, the power of the engine, the condition of the road, and the amount of friction between the wheels and the road. Other factors such as air resistance and the car's aerodynamics can also play a role in acceleration.

5. How can acceleration be measured in a car?

Acceleration in a car can be measured in a few different ways, including using a tool called an accelerometer, which measures the change in speed over time. Another way to measure acceleration is by using a dyno, which measures the car's power output at different speeds and can calculate the acceleration from that data.