Find unit vetors satisfying qualifying conditions HELP test tomorrow

In summary, to find the unit vectors satisfying qualifying conditions, you need to divide each term by the magnitude and consider the direction. For the given conditions, the unit vectors are (-3/5)i + (4/5)j, (2/3)i - (1/3)j - (2/3)k, and (4/5)i - (3/5)j.
darthxepher
Find unit vetors satisfying qualifying conditions! HELP test tomorrow

Homework Statement

Find the unit vectors satisfying qualifying conditions:

a. oppositely directed to 3i-4j

b. same direction as 2i-j-2k

c. same direction as vector from A(-3,2) to B(1,-1)

Thoughts.
Ok. So i don't know where to start. Can someone hint me. I know to find unit vector u must divide each term by the magnitude but the direction stuff isn't helping me. lol

Physics news on Phys.org

Call the unit vector [itex]\hat{n}=n_1\hat{i}+n_2\hat{j}+n_3\hat{k}[/itex] and look at what your conditions tell you about [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]...

(a) directed oppositely to 3i-4j...what is the direction of 3i-4j...what does that mean the direction of [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] is?...remember [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] is a unit vector, so you know its magnitude is 1.

(b)same direction as 2i-j-2k...what IS the direction of 2i-j-2k?

(c)what is the vector from A to B?...what is its direction?

Ok. I kinda figured it out. Thanks for the help... But can u check ur answers with me.

Here are my answers.

a) (-3/5)i + (4/5)j

b) (2/3)i - (1/3)j - (2/3)k

c) (4/5)i - (3/5)j

Thanks for your time!

Looks good to me!:approve:

1. What are unit vectors?

Unit vectors are vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and are used to represent direction in a given space. They are typically represented by a lowercase letter with a caret (^) symbol above it, such as ȳ.

2. What are the qualifying conditions for unit vectors?

The two main qualifying conditions for unit vectors are that they must have a magnitude of 1 and they must point in a specific direction in a given space. In other words, they must have a length of 1 and they must be normalized.

3. How do I find unit vectors?

To find unit vectors, you first need to determine the direction in which the vector is pointing. Then, you can divide the vector by its magnitude to normalize it and make it a unit vector. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by using vector components.

4. What are some examples of unit vectors?

Some common examples of unit vectors include the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions in three-dimensional Cartesian coordinates (i, j, and k, respectively), as well as the unit vectors in the direction of the positive x, y, and z axes in polar coordinates (cosθ, sinθ, and 1, respectively).

5. How can I test my knowledge of unit vectors?

You can test your knowledge of unit vectors by practicing with different examples and problems, such as finding unit vectors in different coordinate systems or using unit vectors to solve vector equations. You can also take quizzes or practice problems online to assess your understanding and prepare for any upcoming tests.