How hard is it to get into engineering at MIT/Princeton/Stanford?

In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of getting into universities with a low grade in English but high scores in other subjects, the importance of extracurricular activities and interests in the admissions process, and the potential rejection from top universities despite a perfect SAT score. It is also mentioned that playing guitar may not necessarily boost one's chances of admission.
Mark
Hey, I am royally screwed - because i am terrible at english, and my english grade is crap. If i apply to these universities with a 75% in english, but near perefect on every SAT/SAT II, do I stand a chance at getting in?

Physics is 90%
Algebra/calc/chem/english (senior - but second semester :( ) next year

?

And if there is no chance, what other private american schools can i go to?

Engineering news on Phys.org
SATs aren't that important to the admissions office. People with 1100-1300 get admitted to those schools quite frequently.

Sure, having good grades is vital, but you need to stand out. People who apply to schools like that all have good grades, but you'd get admitted if, say, you play guitar. You need to have a variety of interests, and activities to show that you actually enjoy doing them. Extra-curriculars, a good personality and your different experiences could get you in, despite how bad you are at English. It also helps if you have an interest in math and/or science.

And if it's relevant, I've known of DOZENS of people who scored 1600s on their SATs and got rejected from both Stanford and MIT (don't know much about Princeton).

Good luck. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Okay this reply is way too late, but I must point out that knowing how to play guitar will not help you...how many people play the guitar again?

1. How competitive is it to get into engineering at MIT?

MIT is known for its rigorous and highly selective admission process. The acceptance rate for the engineering program is typically around 8%, making it one of the most competitive engineering programs in the world.

2. What is the average GPA/SAT score needed for admission to engineering at Princeton?

The average GPA for admitted students to the engineering program at Princeton is around 3.9, and the average SAT score is around 1500. However, it is important to note that these are just averages and admission decisions also take into account other factors such as extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation.

3. Are there any specific requirements or prerequisites for engineering at Stanford?

Yes, in addition to the general admission requirements for Stanford University, applicants to the engineering program must have completed coursework in math (including calculus), science (biology, chemistry, and physics), and computer science. It is also recommended to have taken advanced courses in these subjects.

4. Can I transfer into the engineering program at MIT/Princeton/Stanford?

It is possible to transfer into the engineering program at these universities, but it is highly competitive and there are limited spots available. Transfer applicants must have completed a certain number of college credits and have a strong academic record in engineering-related courses.

5. Are there any tips for increasing my chances of getting into engineering at these top universities?

Aside from having strong academic credentials, it is important to showcase your passion and dedication for engineering through your essays, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities. It can also be helpful to pursue internships or research opportunities in the field of engineering to demonstrate your practical skills and experience.