Which majors or minors can complement Applied Math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of pairing a major or minor with an Applied Math degree, with suggestions for potential pairings such as Physics, Astronomy, and Computer Science. The University of Akron's website is mentioned as a resource for finding compatible majors, and the potential benefits of taking additional courses in programming are also discussed. The overall consensus is that choosing electives that align with one's future goals is most important, whether that includes taking graduate level courses or learning programming skills.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
What would be some good major or minors that I can declare along with Applied Math?

I think I'm pretty decided on the Applied Maths part, but I'd like to do probably a double major, or a minor, just to improve my credentials and my scope of knowledge.

Do you think that's a good idea? If yes what can I pair up with Applied Math?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics or Astronomy would be a decent pairing. Depends on the school and what they offer, I guess.

do you think Computer Science would be a good pair?

If your applied math program has a good amount of discrete math in it, then yes. I know that applied and discrete math are two separate majors at my school, though.

I know at my school, on the website, they actually list a bunch of majors that applied math goes well with, as well as how many additional credits it would take, over and above the regular courseload for that major. For Comp Sci, it has 22 extra credits, which is the same as the physics double major with applied math that i am doing

KelCatrell said:
I know at my school, on the website, they actually list a bunch of majors that applied math goes well with, as well as how many additional credits it would take, over and above the regular courseload for that major. For Comp Sci, it has 22 extra credits, which is the same as the physics double major with applied math that i am doing

Would you mind sharing the website with us?

thrill3rnit3 said:
Would you mind sharing the website with us?
no problem

http://www.uakron.edu/colleges/artsci/depts/math/ForUGStudents/second.php

Last edited by a moderator:
KelCatrell said:
no problem

http://www.uakron.edu/colleges/artsci/depts/math/ForUGStudents/second.php

Thanks a lot. This is a great help.

Anyways, would it be beneficial spending the extra time in getting a 2nd major/minor or should I use that time to take graduate classes instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone?

"Anyways, would it be beneficial spending the extra time in getting a 2nd major/minor or should I use that time to take graduate classes instead? "

You should take as electives those classes which best complement your future goals. If you want to get into theoretical CS, then you should take some CS courses. If you want to get into theoretical physics, you should take some physics courses. If you want to stay in math, take graduate level courses.

AUMathTutor said:
"Anyways, would it be beneficial spending the extra time in getting a 2nd major/minor or should I use that time to take graduate classes instead? "

You should take as electives those classes which best complement your future goals. If you want to get into theoretical CS, then you should take some CS courses. If you want to get into theoretical physics, you should take some physics courses. If you want to stay in math, take graduate level courses.

Well I'm planning to go to graduate school for Applied Math. But I don't know, I heard employers are looking for people who can program and do some CS stuff, so that's why I'm also interested in taking CS classes.

How many CS courses are you planning on taking?

If you want to learn to program, that would be a good reason to take some programming-intensive software classes. Your university should offer something along the lines of a two-semester introductory sequence, followed by at least one "software construction" kind of course where you write larger programs. You may also get to take some algorithms or data structures courses. I think it would be good for a math major to learn a little more about programming than is usually required, but that's really up to you.

1. What is the difference between a major and a minor in Applied Mathematics?

A major in Applied Mathematics involves a more in-depth study of the subject, with a focus on a specific area such as statistics, mathematical modeling, or numerical analysis. A minor in Applied Mathematics provides a basic understanding of the subject, but with fewer required courses and a broader range of electives.

2. What career opportunities are available with a major or minor in Applied Mathematics?

A major or minor in Applied Mathematics can lead to various career paths, including data analysis, financial modeling, operations research, and research in both academic and industry settings. Graduates with this degree are highly sought after in fields that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

3. Is a background in mathematics necessary for a major or minor in Applied Mathematics?

A strong foundation in mathematics is recommended for students pursuing a major or minor in Applied Mathematics. However, some universities offer introductory courses to help students develop the necessary mathematical skills for this field of study.

4. What are the required courses for a major or minor in Applied Mathematics?

The required courses for a major or minor in Applied Mathematics may vary depending on the university, but typically include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. Additional courses may include computer programming, numerical analysis, and mathematical modeling.

5. How can I prepare for a major or minor in Applied Mathematics?

To prepare for a major or minor in Applied Mathematics, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It can also be helpful to have some experience with computer programming and statistical software. Additionally, taking advanced math courses in high school can provide a solid foundation for this field of study.