Exploring Contradictions in Capacitor Energy

In summary, when an uncharged capacitor is connected in parallel to a fully charged capacitor, the new charge distribution on both capacitors will be unequal due to the conservation of energy and charge. The energy stored in the capacitor combination will be less than the energy stored in the single capacitor that was originally charged, but the amount of charge will remain the same. This is because, when the capacitors are joined together, charge flows through the connecting wires and electrical energy is converted to heat energy, resulting in a loss of energy. However, the fundamental concept of conservation of charge still holds true.
desmal
I am not sure if I have full understanding of capacitors energy, because I found a contradiction in solving one problem. The problem is: -
If an uncharged capacitor connected to another fully charged capacitor in parallel, what will be the new charge distribution on both capacitors? “Assuming equal capacitance”
I believe we have two rules of respect:-
1- Conservation of charge
2- Conservation of energy
If we assume that C = capacitance, and Vi = initial voltage and Qi=the initial charge on the charged capacitance.
Let the energy before connecting the two capacitance equal to the energy after linking them together:-

0.5*C*Vi^2 = 0.5*(2C)*Vf^2
then: - Vf=Vi/sqrt(2)

Know consider the total charge after linking both capacitors:-

Qt = Ct * Vf= (2C)*Vi/sqrt(2)=C*Vi*sqrt(2)

Which is obviously not equal to C*Vi “the initial charge”.

I am confused which one of these two fundamental concepts I have to base my calculation in, and why it doesn’t work with the other concept.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Charge is conserved as is energy, however,when the capacitors are joined together charge flows through the connecting wires and electrical energy is converted to heat energy this being dissipated to the surroundings.The result is that the energy stored in the field of the capacitor combination is less than the energy stored in the single capacitor that was originally charged,the amount of charge,however, is the same.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric, and is commonly used in electronic circuits to store and regulate energy.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, such as a battery, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. The electric field created between the plates stores energy in the form of electrostatic potential energy.

3. What is meant by exploring contradictions in capacitor energy?

When studying capacitors, scientists have observed certain discrepancies or contradictions in the behavior of these components. For example, the energy stored in a capacitor may not always match the theoretical calculations based on its capacitance and voltage. Exploring these contradictions can lead to a better understanding of the underlying principles and potential improvements in capacitor design.

4. What are some factors that can affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the dielectric material, the temperature, and the presence of any external electric fields. The size and shape of the capacitor also play a role in determining its energy storage capacity.

5. How is capacitor energy being used in modern technology?

Capacitors are used in a wide range of electronic devices and technologies, including power supplies, computers, smartphones, and electric vehicles. They are also essential components in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines, where they help to store and regulate energy for later use.