Constants in a system of equations that makes the system consistent

In summary, the conversation is about solving simultaneous equations and using augmented matrices to find a more efficient solution. The determinent is used to determine if the system has a unique solution or not. The conversation also discusses the possibility of no solution or infinite solutions depending on the values of the variables.
Gregg

Homework Statement

system.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I just solved simultaneous equations, a link to a resource that solves a system more efficiently would be nice but augmented matrices are taught in the syllabus, or atleast not in the official text. Although I've seen solutions in the mark schemes of augmented matrices.

Next I get the determinent in terms of a, a=1 when determinent is 0.

I'm not sure how to do this last part.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you conduct row operations, you would have gotten the same result for part b) but in the form of a row being something like (a-*)x + 0y + 0z = b+** with * and ** being whatever numbers you actually get, I didn't calculate it. Well what you found was that * was equal to 1 to make it 0x + 0y + 0z = something which was inconsistent and had no solution. However, that "something" which is a function of b can be made to be 0 depending on what you pick for b. That is, you'd get 0x + 0y + 0z = 0 which is now a consistent system

When a = 1, does the system have any solution?

Is that what they meant by "does not have a unique solution"?

EnumaElish said:
When a = 1, does the system have any solution?

Is that what they meant by "does not have a unique solution"?

No solutions or infinite solutions i.e. a line of solutions in the intersection of two planes.

I assume the spirit of the problem is to first find a "no solution" then an infinite solution in part ii) since in part i), you'll have b that isn't known yet.

I'm trying to work out how to do what Pengwuino said for me to do.

To summarize part of what Pengwuino said, after row reducing the augmented matrix [A|b], where A represents your matrix of coefficients, and b represents the vector of constants on the right sides of the equations, you're looking to get one or more rows of zeroes in the bottom of A.

There are two possibilities:

1. 0 0 0 | k , where k != 0
    This represents 0x + 0y + 0z = k, for which there is no solution.
  2. 0 0 0 | 0
    This represents 0x + 0y + 0z = 0, for which there are an infinite number of solutions.

1. What are constants in a system of equations?

Constants in a system of equations are fixed values that do not change throughout the system. They are represented by letters or symbols and are typically known values that are used to solve the equations.

2. Why are constants important in a system of equations?

Constants are important because they provide known values that can help us solve for unknown variables in the system. They also help to make the system more consistent and easier to solve.

3. How do constants affect the consistency of a system of equations?

Constants play a crucial role in the consistency of a system of equations. If the values of constants are chosen carefully, they can make the system consistent, meaning that there is at least one set of values for the variables that satisfies all the equations in the system.

4. Can a system of equations be consistent without any constants?

No, a system of equations cannot be consistent without any constants. Constants are necessary for the system to have a solution. Without constants, the system would become underdetermined and have infinitely many solutions.

5. How can we determine the values of constants in a consistent system of equations?

The values of constants can be determined by solving the system of equations using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The resulting solution will provide the values of all the variables, including the constants.