Choose Uni or Project for PhD?

In summary, it is more important to have a good match with a research group than it is to have a good reputation or fit with an institution.
kop442000
Hi guys,

Regarding a PhD application in the UK, is it better to figure out which area you would like to work in, and then apply to universities that research that particular area, or is it better to pick a really good university and then maybe shift your research interests a little to suit the areas that they do?

Thanks in advance of any replies posted.
Kop442000.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here in Canada one generally picks a supervisor more than one picks a school.

At some universities (with small numbers of admitted students), you are admitted knowing which group you will likely be working for, but generally students do not get matched with a research group until after their core coursework is completed (or at least halfway so).

Because of this, I'd generally think that you need to pick your research area, then look for particular universities that have strong research groups in your area. If you aren't a stellar applicant, you'd want to try to apply to an institution that had at least three groups that you are interested in. To my knowledge, the supervisors of the strongest groups did go and look in students files, checking undergraduate performance (including research experience) and students preformance in core classes. I went to a university that was very strong in a particular research area, and still found that some of the students that were admitted left because they weren''t acccepted to the "famous" research group(s) they were most interested in.

That said, you can have a general idea of what you want to do (say condensed matter versus high energy) and be flexible about the details... But you should have at least some idea of what you want to do... otherwise, why are you going to graduate school

kop442000 said:
Hi guys,

Regarding a PhD application in the UK, is it better to figure out which area you would like to work in, and then apply to universities that research that particular area, or is it better to pick a really good university and then maybe shift your research interests a little to suit the areas that they do?

Thanks in advance of any replies posted.
Kop442000.

It doesn't quite work like that in the UK; it is quite different to the system in the US.
Applying for a PhD position in the UK is more of less like applying for a job. The supervisor gets funding (often as part of grant) for employing a PhD student for a particular project; he/she then tries to find a suitable student (usually by asking around, but also by e.g placing ads in magazines like New Scientist etc).

From your point of view this means that you more or less know what you will be doing for the next 3-4 years when you start, you also know which group you will be in and who will be your advisor.

Thanks f95toli. So what do you see as more important, the close fit of project to your interest, or the reputation of the institution?

The reputation of the group & supervisor is most important. If you are most interested in a highly competitive area (high energy?) look for a fallback position! Look through: http://www.jobs.ac.uk.

f95toli said:
It doesn't quite work like that in the UK; it is quite different to the system in the US.
Applying for a PhD position in the UK is more of less like applying for a job. The supervisor gets funding (often as part of grant) for employing a PhD student for a particular project; he/she then tries to find a suitable student (usually by asking around, but also by e.g placing ads in magazines like New Scientist etc).

From your point of view this means that you more or less know what you will be doing for the next 3-4 years when you start, you also know which group you will be in and who will be your advisor.

That is a very good and valuable piece of information, f95toli.

If you have some time and willing to expand on the application process and what one should know, I'd appreciate it if you could post this vital information in the "So You Want To Be A Physicst" thread, which is lacking on info on the UK system. I would love to include that eventually in my essay since this is definitely very useful.

Zz.

1. Should I choose a PhD program or a research project for my PhD?

There is no one right answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your personal goals and preferences. A PhD program typically involves taking coursework and completing a dissertation, while a research project often involves working on a specific topic within a larger research team. Consider factors such as your career goals, research interests, and the level of independence you prefer when making this decision.

2. Which option will provide me with better career opportunities?

Both a PhD program and a research project can lead to promising career opportunities. A PhD program may provide a more well-rounded education and can open doors to academic positions, while a research project can provide more hands-on experience and opportunities to network with professionals in your field. It is important to research the career outcomes of both options and choose the one that aligns with your career goals.

3. How do I determine which option is a better fit for me?

To determine the best fit for your PhD journey, consider factors such as your research interests, long-term goals, and preferred learning style. Reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, and research the structure and requirements of both options. Additionally, talking to current PhD students and professors in your field can provide valuable insights and help you make an informed decision.

4. Will my choice affect the quality of my PhD?

Both a PhD program and a research project can lead to a high-quality PhD. What matters most is the quality of your research and the effort you put into your work. Consider factors such as resources, mentorship, and support when choosing between the two options, as these can greatly impact your PhD experience and the quality of your research.

5. Can I switch from one option to another during my PhD?

It is possible to switch from a PhD program to a research project, or vice versa, during your PhD journey. However, this may involve additional time and effort, as you may need to meet different requirements for each option. It is important to carefully consider your decision before starting your PhD to avoid any potential challenges or delays in your progress.