Thermal Conductivity in a Copper Cable

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of heating up a mile of buried copper cable to 100 degrees Celsius, with a maximum spot temperature of 150 degrees Celsius. The feasibility of achieving this is questioned and alternative methods for detecting a fault in the cable are suggested. The original purpose of the experiment is revealed to be for R&D purposes in removing oil from the paper insulation, with a proposed hybrid method involving thermal desorption and air stripping.
c928jon
Hi all

I'd like to heat up a mile of buried copper cable to roughly 100 deg C.

The centre core is 80mm dia solid copper with impregnated paper insulation.

Maximum spot temp is 150 deg C.

I can expose the core at each end and clamp on a heating element.

I've got plenty of time = weeks if required

Achievable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to account for the heat transfer between the cable and the ground it is burried in. Obviously, if you had large enough heating elements/power supplies, then you could do it. You would probably have an easier time heating the cable up if you ran a current through it and let its internal resistance take care of the rest.

I'm working on the decommissioning of the circuit at the moment.
Energising the cable in any way would not get approval, plenty of 415kv floating around!

c928jon said:
Hi all

Achievable?

Doesn't sound achievable to me. Simple enough to test. Do you have a shorter length of the cable? Even 25 meters should be enough. Bury, clamp and heat, and measure the temperture at the other end. Even after a long time, I'm guessing there will be a couple of degrees of temperature drop.

Before dismissing using a current to do the heating, have you calculated what the current and voltage would need to be?

c928jon said:
Hi all

Achievable?

It's not possible by heating the cable from each end, you would basically have to have a perfect thermal insulator surrounding it. To get a uniform 100C across the entire length of the cable, you will need to pass a large amount of power (in the form of electrical current) through it and rely on resistive heating in the copper itself. It will take a very significant amount of power to heat a cable that long to 100C.

Clamping a heater on the cable every 10-20 feet or so might do it, but you'd need on the order of 250 heaters!

Do you want to uniformly heat up the entire mile of underground cable? In this case, short one end and run enough current through the other end (either ac or dc) to produce about 10 watts per meter power loss. 80 mm is a large diameter. What is this, a 14.4 KV power transmission line? What is its amp rating (buried cable)?
Bob S.

c928jon said:
Hi all

Achievable?

I guess we should have asked this at the start, but why do you want to run this experiment? What is the overall goal?

(just realized that an EIR is probably required for this experiment. How many years do you have before you need results?)

It's a common way of finding an intermittent fault in a buried power cable if resistance/reflectivity measurements don't work.
We had one on site - they shorted the cable at the distribution board, brought in a huge generator truck and put large voltages onto it until there was a blast of steam from the ground.

mgb_phys said:
It's a common way of finding an intermittent fault in a buried power cable if resistance/reflectivity measurements don't work.
We had one on site - they shorted the cable at the distribution board, brought in a huge generator truck and put large voltages onto it until there was a blast of steam from the ground.

Oh crap, Occam's razor. If you just need to detect a fault, there are MUCH lower power and safer ways to do that. Say Cable Tester. Lordy.

We are doing some R&D, looking at the removal of the oil remaining entrained within the paper insulation following flushing.

I'm looking at a hybrid of thermal desorbtion and air stripping, hence the heat requirement.

The heat would also aid the flushing process but then would only need 60-70 deg C.

berkeman said:
Oh crap, Occam's razor. If you just need to detect a fault, there are MUCH lower power and safer ways to do that. Say Cable Tester. Lordy.

That's what I would have thought, I'm guessing the fault had enough conductance to not show on a resistivity test and the cable was old and damaged enough that a reflectivity test showed breaks everywhere.

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is a physical property that determines how quickly heat can pass through a material.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured in watts per meter per Kelvin (W/mK). This measures the amount of heat (in watts) that can pass through a material that is 1 meter long and 1 square meter in area, with a temperature difference of 1 Kelvin (or 1 degree Celsius).

3. Why is thermal conductivity important in a copper cable?

Copper cables are commonly used for transferring electricity and data, and they generate heat as a result of this process. A high thermal conductivity in the copper cable allows for efficient dissipation of this heat, preventing overheating and potential damage to the cable.

4. How does the length and thickness of a copper cable affect its thermal conductivity?

The longer and thicker a copper cable is, the higher its thermal conductivity will be. This is because there is more material for heat to travel through, and the copper's ability to conduct heat is consistent throughout its length and thickness.

5. Can thermal conductivity change in a copper cable?

Yes, thermal conductivity can be affected by certain factors such as temperature, impurities in the copper, and changes in the physical structure of the material. However, the thermal conductivity of pure copper remains relatively constant, making it a reliable material for applications that require efficient heat transfer.