How could I forget that I already built something?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
In summary, the programmer wrote a program to compare files between old and new versions and it worked great.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm working on a software project that has a bug that cropped up in the last 8 months. I had some time to kill this evening so I decided to write a program that would compare files between the old version and the new one. I've thought about writing a program like this for at least 7 or 8 years now.

So, I start looking through a directory where I keep all of my old programs for a piece of code that I wanted to use. While looking for that, I noticed a directory named File Comparer and, sure enough, I already wrote it two and a half years ago. I read through it, performed a few tests and it worked great for exactly what I wanted it for.

How could I not remember this? :blushing:

Biology news on Phys.org
I've head that geniuses are quite forgetful. :wink:

Evo said:
I've head that geniuses are quite forgetful. :wink:

OK, that made my day! :rofl:

... you know.. diff has been around since 1974 =)

DavidSnider said:
... you know.. diff has been around since 1974 =)

I wanted something to examine all of the files in the project and get a list of which files have changed and also the ones that have been removed. Then I diff them. :smile:

If you have not used the file in 2 and 1/2 years, I'm sure you allotted those memory brain cells to another purpose.

maybe you did it really quick and never committed it to long-term memory

Proton Soup said:
maybe you did it really quick and never committed it to long-term memory

Probably. I looked at the date stamps on the files and it looks like I didn't spend more than a few hours on it. It's still strange how I have thought about using it since then and deciding that I didn't have enough time to build it. :rolleyes:

I think it's a matter of A) how many codes you've written and B) how many times you get an idea to write a code but then never follow through. The more instances of A) and B) that occur, the more easy it would be to never remove a particular A) from the B) group when you A)'d that particular B). I also think any practiced programmer has a high rate of A) and B).

1. How can I forget that I already built something?

Forgetting that you have already built something is a common occurrence, especially if you have a lot of ongoing projects. This could be due to a lack of organization or simply having too much on your plate. It can also be a sign of cognitive overload, where your brain is struggling to keep track of all the information it is receiving.

2. Is forgetting that I built something a sign of memory loss?

Forgetting that you have already built something does not necessarily mean that you have memory loss. It is normal to forget small details or tasks, especially if they are not a priority. However, if you consistently forget important things or have trouble remembering recent events, it may be a sign of memory loss or a cognitive impairment. It is best to consult with a medical professional for a proper diagnosis.

3. How can I prevent forgetting that I already built something?

To prevent forgetting that you have already built something, it is important to develop good organizational habits. This could include keeping a detailed calendar or to-do list, setting reminders for important tasks, and regularly reviewing and updating your progress. It may also be helpful to break down larger projects into smaller, more manageable tasks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

4. Why do I keep forgetting that I already built something?

There could be several reasons for consistently forgetting that you have already built something. It could be due to a lack of focus or distractions while working on the project. It could also be a result of stress, fatigue, or other external factors that affect your memory. Additionally, if the project was completed a while ago, it may simply be a case of normal forgetfulness.

5. Can I improve my memory to avoid forgetting that I already built something?

Yes, there are ways to improve your memory and reduce the chances of forgetting that you have already built something. Some techniques include practicing good sleep habits, staying physically active, eating a healthy diet, and engaging in brain-stimulating activities such as puzzles or learning a new skill. It is also important to manage stress and maintain a balanced workload to prevent cognitive overload.