A point charge inside infinite medium of dielectric

In summary, the problem is to find the electric field vector and potential function for a point charge located inside an infinite dielectric medium with a relative permittivity of \epsilonr. Using Gauss' Law for \textbf{D}, a spherical Gaussian surface can be used to exploit the symmetry present. The center of the sphere will be located on the point charge. The electric field can then be calculated using q/(4*pi*\epsilon0*r^2), where r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point in space.
Ready2GoXtr
A point charge inside infinite dielectric material

1. The problem statement, all variables and given known data
A point charge is an infinite medium of dielectric material having a relative permittivity [tex]\epsilonr[/tex]. <--- epsilon(sub r). Find the electric field vector and the potential function at any point in space, assuming that the potential is zero volts at infinity.

Homework Equations

D = [tex]\epsilon[/tex] * E + P
P = [tex]\epsilon0[/tex] * [tex]\chie[/tex] vector E
[tex]\epsilon[\tex] = [tex]\epsilon0[/tex] * [tex]\epsilonr[/tex]
[tex]\chie[/tex] = [tex]\epsilonr[/tex] - 1

well its not letting me put it in right so I am going to enter them in with () next to them
D(vector) = epsilon*E(vector) + P(vector)
P(vector) = epsilon(sub 0)*chi(sub e)*E(vector)
epsilon = epsilon(sub 0)*epsilon(sub r)
chi(sub e) = epsilon(sub r) - 1
Electric Field of Point Charge = k*q/r^2
Electric Field of Sphere = q/(4*pi*epsilon(sub0)*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not quiet sure what my first step would be. I would think that a point charge inside a dielectric medium would have a reduced electric field, but it is infinite so wouldn't its electric field be nothing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just use Gauss' Law for [itex]\textbf{D}[/itex]...can you think of a Gaussian surface that will exploit the symmetry present?

what do you mean by exploit?

"Exploit" is just another word for "use"

I feel that a sphere represents a good shape.

Ready2GoXtr said:
I feel that a sphere represents a good shape.

Okay, but why? And where will the center of the sphere be?

The center of the sphere will be located on the point charge

so would my answer just be q/(4*pi*epsilon(sub0)*r^2)
?

Not quite...What is Gauss' Law in terms of [itex]\textbf{D}[/itex]? Do you see why Gauss' Law in terms of [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] isn't helpful here?

1. What is a point charge inside an infinite medium of dielectric?

A point charge inside an infinite medium of dielectric refers to a single charge located within a material that has the ability to polarize and create an electric field in its surrounding environment. This phenomenon is often studied in the field of electrostatics and is affected by the properties of the surrounding dielectric material.

2. How does the dielectric material affect the behavior of the point charge?

The dielectric material affects the behavior of the point charge by altering the strength of the electric field created by the charge. The presence of the dielectric material can either amplify or weaken the electric field, depending on its properties and the orientation of the charge.

3. What is the relationship between the dielectric constant and the electric field?

The dielectric constant is a measure of a material's ability to resist the formation of an electric field. Therefore, as the dielectric constant increases, the electric field strength decreases. This is because the material is better at neutralizing the effects of the charge and preventing the formation of a strong electric field.

4. Can a point charge inside an infinite medium of dielectric experience a net force?

Yes, a point charge inside an infinite medium of dielectric can experience a net force. This force is a result of the interaction between the charge and the electric field created by the surrounding dielectric material. The strength and direction of the force depend on the properties and orientation of the charge and the dielectric material.

5. How does the concept of permittivity relate to a point charge inside an infinite medium of dielectric?

Permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy. In the context of a point charge inside an infinite medium of dielectric, permittivity plays a crucial role in determining the strength and behavior of the electric field. The higher the permittivity of the material, the stronger the electric field will be affected by the presence of the charge.