How Many Sylow 2-Subgroups Are There in S4?

• Thread starter lmedin02
  • Start date
In summary, Sylows Theorem states that there exists a subgroup of order p^k where k is the largest integer such that p^k divides the order of G. However, in this problem, the subgroup is of order 8 and not of order 2 as stated in the theorem.
lmedin02

Homework Statement

I want to find the Sylow 2-subgroups of the permutation group S4

Homework Equations

I don't understand why is my application of Sylow's third theorem wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

The order of S4 is 24=233. Thus, there are Sylow 2-subgroups and Sylow 3-subgroups by Sylow's first theorem. By Sylow's third theorem, the number of Sylow 2-subgroups is k=1 mod 2= 1,3,5,... and must divide the order of the group. Thus, k=1 or 3. But, each permutation (12), (13), (23), (14), (34) together with the identity permutation forms a subgroup of order 2 of S4. Thus, K should not be 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sylow's subgroups are maximal p-subgroups, not subgroups generated by an element of order p

Oh, ok. That's true. Sylow p-groups are maximal subgroups. Hence, in my problem my Sylow 2-subgroups are maximal, but they are subgroups of order 8. Thus, I should be looking for three Sylow 2-subgroups of order 8. Is this correct? Thank you for your guidance.

That's the statement of Sylows Theorem.

If the order of G equals n = p^k*m, p prime, then there exists a subgroup of order p^k, where k is the largest integer such that p^k divides the order of G.

You then know as well that there is an element of order 2, though.

I believe that you have misunderstood the definition of a p-Sylow subgroup, which in this case is not of order 2 but of order 8. The first theorem states that if p^m is the maximum power of p that divides |G| then there is a subgroup of order p^m and this is a p-Sylow subgroup. The 3rd theorem applies to this group, not the groups of order 2.

In fact there is a subgroup isomorphic to the Dsub4 (order 8), the group of symmetries of the square. In cyclic notation it is ----numbering the vertices in order clockwise (or the reverse) around the square --- {e, (1234), (13(24), (1432), (12)(34), (14)(32), (13), (24)}.

A few sample conjugations, say of (1234) by (123) shows that this is bot a normal subgroup. But all its conjugates (all 3 of them!) should contain the four-group as a subgroup, since all the elements with 2 2-cycles are present and the cycle structure is preserved.

BTW, Cauchy's Theorem predicts that a prime-power group like this has an element of order 2, ehich it certainly does. There is no statement of how many such groups there are, however.

Dude. This thread is 10 months old

1. What is a Sylow 2-subgroup of S4?

A Sylow 2-subgroup of S4 is a subgroup of the symmetric group S4 that has a size of 2^2 = 4 elements. It is a special type of subgroup that has important properties in group theory.

2. How many Sylow 2-subgroups are there in S4?

There are 3 Sylow 2-subgroups in S4, as determined by the Sylow theorems. These theorems state that the number of Sylow p-subgroups in a group is congruent to 1 mod p, and also divides the order of the group.

3. What are the elements of a Sylow 2-subgroup of S4?

The elements of a Sylow 2-subgroup in S4 are permutations of the elements (1,2)(3,4), (1,3)(2,4), and (1,4)(2,3). These are the only elements that have a size of 4 and can form a subgroup in S4.

4. How are Sylow 2-subgroups related to normal subgroups?

Sylow 2-subgroups are not necessarily normal subgroups, but they have a special relationship to normal subgroups in S4. Specifically, every Sylow 2-subgroup is contained in a unique normal subgroup of S4, and every normal subgroup of S4 contains a Sylow 2-subgroup.

5. What is the significance of Sylow 2-subgroups in S4?

Sylow 2-subgroups have important applications in group theory, specifically in the study of permutation groups. They are also useful in determining the structure of S4, as every element in S4 can be written as a product of elements in a Sylow 2-subgroup and a normal subgroup. Additionally, Sylow 2-subgroups have connections to other mathematical concepts such as finite geometry and coding theory.