Finding the Taylor polynomial for the first three terms

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Taylor series for the function f(x) = \frac{ln(3x)}{6x} at a = \frac{1}{3} and n = 3. The user initially attempted to use the Taylor series formula, but was advised to find the first three derivatives of the function at x = 1/3 and then use the resulting values in the series. After doing so, the user was able to arrive at the correct answer.
NastyAccident

Homework Statement

[tex]f(x) = \frac{ln(3x)}{6x}, a = \frac{1}{3}, n=3[/tex]

Find T3

Homework Equations

Taylor Series - f(n)(x)/n! * (x-a)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I isolated ln(3x) from 1/6x.

I created the series based off of ln(3x).

f(0)(x)=ln(3x) ->f(0)(1/3)=ln(3(1/3)) =0

f(1)(x)=1/x ->f(1)(1/3)=1/(1/3) =3

f(2)(x)=-1/x2 ->f(2)(1/3)=-1/(1/3)2 =-32

f(3)(x)=2/x3->f(3)(1/3)=2/(1/3)3 =2*33
f(4)(x)=-2*3/x4->f(4)(1/3)=-2*3/(1/3)4 =-2*3*34
f(n)(x)=(-1)(n+1) * (n-1)!/xn ->f(n)(1/3)=(-1)(n+1) * (n-1)!/(1/3)n =(-1)(n+1) * (n-1)!*3n

Incorporating that back in:
[tex]\frac{1}{6x}*\sum^{3}_{n=1}(-1)^{n+1} * \frac{(n-1)! * 3^{n}}{n!}* (x-\frac{1}{3})^{n}[/tex]

Now, as you see I started the series at 1, since ln(1) [aka 0] does not fit with the general description of f(n)(x).

[tex]\frac{1}{6x}*\sum^{3}_{n=1}(-1)^{n+1} * \frac{3^{n}}{n}* (x-\frac{1}{3})^{n}[/tex]

So, I end up getting these first three terms:

[tex]\frac{3(x-\frac{1}{3})}{6x}-\frac{3^{2}(x-\frac{1}{3})^{2}}{6x*2}+\frac{3^{3}(x-\frac{1}{3})^{3}}{6x*3}[/tex]

Simplified:

[tex]T_{3}=\frac{x-\frac{1}{3}}{2x}-\frac{3(x-\frac{1}{3})^{2}}{4x}+\frac{3(x-\frac{1}{3})^{3}}{2x}[/tex]

However, that answer is being marked as incorrect for some odd reason. Where am I going wrong with this Taylor series? I retraced everything and it should work.

NastyAccident

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not odd it was marked wrong because it is wrong. You can't separate log(3x) and 1/(6x). You need to find the first three derivatives of the function log(3x)/(6x) at x=(1/3). Use the quotient and chain rules. Your series should be an expansion in powers of (x-1/3), there shouldn't be x's floating around as well.

Last edited:
Dick said:
It's not odd it was marked wrong because it is wrong. You can't separate log(3x) and 1/(6x). You need to find the first three derivatives of the function log(3x)/(6x) at x=(1/3). Use the quotient and chain rules. Your series should be an expansion in powers of (x-1/3), there shouldn't be x's floating around as well.

So, because this is a Taylor series vs. a Maclaurin series, separating ln(3x) from 1/6x causes a rift when actually calculating the series since it isn't based at 0?

I was under the assumption that you could separate Taylor series exactly like Maclaurin series. Mm, back to the drawing board.

Thanks!

NastyAccident

Well, you just have to compute f^(n)(1/3) for a few values of n. Just do it directly. That shouldn't be totally back the drawing board. You're welcome!

Dick said:
Well, you just have to compute f^(n)(1/3) for a few values of n. Just do it directly. That shouldn't be totally back the drawing board. You're welcome!

Aye, just had to differentiate and simplify a lot... But, I ended up with:

T3=3/2(x-1/3)-27/4(x-1/3)^2+99/4(x-1/3)^3

Which is correct!

Thank you for the guidance Dick!

NastyAccident

1. What is a Taylor polynomial for the first three terms?

A Taylor polynomial for the first three terms is a polynomial function that approximates a given function at a specific point. It is formed by taking the first three terms of the Taylor series, which is an infinite series that represents the function at that point.

2. How is a Taylor polynomial for the first three terms calculated?

To calculate a Taylor polynomial for the first three terms, you need to find the first three derivatives of the given function at the specific point. Then, plug these derivatives into the formula for the Taylor series and simplify to get the polynomial function.

3. Why is finding the Taylor polynomial for the first three terms important?

Finding the Taylor polynomial for the first three terms is important because it allows us to approximate the value of a function at a specific point without having to evaluate the function at every point. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function near that point.

4. How accurate is a Taylor polynomial for the first three terms?

The accuracy of a Taylor polynomial for the first three terms depends on how close the given function is to a polynomial function. If the function is not very smooth or has discontinuities, the Taylor polynomial may not be very accurate. However, as you add more terms to the polynomial, the accuracy will improve.

5. Can a Taylor polynomial for the first three terms be used for any function?

No, a Taylor polynomial for the first three terms can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable, meaning that they have derivatives of all orders. If a function is not infinitely differentiable, the Taylor polynomial will not be accurate.