Micro Processor project making a Gun Chronograph

In summary, a gun chronograph uses four qrb1134 reflective sensors to detect the speed of an object and then calculates and displays the velocity on a CRT. The sensors are spaced a certain distance apart and the projectile will be moving at a certain speed.
ajaustin12
I need a little help with a lab project that I am making for my Micro Processor class. My instructor gave me the idea of making a gun chronograph.

He wants me to use 4 qrb1134 reflective sensors to detect an object. The qrb1134's will be in two pairs set at a certain distance apart. The purpose for these sensors are to start and stop an internal clock of a MEGA16 micro processor trainer board.

I am also supposed to write a program for the MEGA16 to perform that function and to calculate the velocity of the object that passed through the two pairs of QRB1134. The program is also supposed to display the velocity on the CRT.

I am very new at programing and really don't know where to begin. Any help will be appreciative.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, you need to know how far apart the sensors are, and how accurately you need to measure the speed. For example, if the sensors are 10 meters apart, the bullet speed is 1000 meters per second, and you need to measure the speed to 1 m/s, then you will need a timing clock ~ 200 kHz or better.
Bob S

I guess I should have been a little more specific. Sorry about that.

Since this is a class assignment i will be using a rubber band or some type of projectile with a rubber band.

I haven't decided the distance between the two pairs of sensors, but thought about putting them about a foot apart.

ajaustin12 said:
I guess I should have been a little more specific. Sorry about that.

Since this is a class assignment i will be using a rubber band or some type of projectile with a rubber band.

I haven't decided the distance between the two pairs of sensors, but thought about putting them about a foot apart.
If the projectile is moving at 100 feet per second, the time delay between sensors spaced one foot apart is 10 milliseconds. If you want a 1% measurement of its speed, then your clock should be roughly 0.5 x 0.01 x 10 milliseconds = 1/50-microseconds, or 20 KHz.

Bob S

ajaustin12 said:
I need a little help with a lab project that I am making for my Micro Processor class. My instructor gave me the idea of making a gun chronograph.

He wants me to use 4 qrb1134 reflective sensors to detect an object. The qrb1134's will be in two pairs set at a certain distance apart. The purpose for these sensors are to start and stop an internal clock of a MEGA16 micro processor trainer board.

I am also supposed to write a program for the MEGA16 to perform that function and to calculate the velocity of the object that passed through the two pairs of QRB1134. The program is also supposed to display the velocity on the CRT.

I am very new at programing and really don't know where to begin. Any help will be appreciative.

To use a uP for a timing task like this, you should probably use interrupts and the uP's internal timer/counter. I'd use two IOs (one for each sensor), and set up an interrupt on each line. The first interrupt would clear and start a timer, and the second interrupt would stop the timer, do the calculation, and send it to the display.

So I'd suggest reading some about interrupts and timer/counter use in your uP as a place to start.

1. What is a Micro Processor project Gun Chronograph?

A Micro Processor project Gun Chronograph is a device that uses a microprocessor to measure the velocity of a projectile, such as a bullet or pellet, as it passes through the chronograph. It records the time it takes for the projectile to travel a known distance, and then calculates the velocity based on this data.

2. How does a Gun Chronograph work?

A Gun Chronograph works by using two or more sensors, typically optical sensors, to detect the passage of a projectile. These sensors are placed at a known distance apart and communicate with the microprocessor to accurately measure the time it takes for the projectile to pass between them. The microprocessor then calculates the velocity using the known distance and time measurements.

3. What are the benefits of using a Gun Chronograph?

A Gun Chronograph is a useful tool for gun enthusiasts and professionals, as it provides accurate measurements of projectile velocity. This information can be used to adjust and fine-tune firearms for better performance, as well as for safety purposes to ensure that the velocity of a projectile is within safe limits.

4. Can a Gun Chronograph be used for all types of firearms?

Yes, a Gun Chronograph can be used for all types of firearms, as long as the projectile can be safely and accurately measured by the sensors. This includes handguns, rifles, shotguns, and even airsoft or pellet guns.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a Gun Chronograph?

Yes, it is important to always follow proper safety precautions when using a Gun Chronograph. This includes ensuring that the chronograph is set up correctly, using proper eye and ear protection, and following the manufacturer's instructions for the safe use of the device. It is also important to never shoot directly at the sensors and to always keep the barrel of the firearm pointed in a safe direction.